Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you car camp and why?
24-hour truck stop 2 28.57%
Primitive campsite with a dummy tent 2 28.57%
Hospital 1 14.29%
24-hour gym 0 0%
Walmart 0 0%
Cracker Barrel 2 28.57%
Street 0 0%
Friend's or relative's driveway 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 06:23 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

I see there's been no car camping post since 2017, but perhaps the pandemic and/or inflation have made this a more popular option for travel. For those of you who do this, where's your preferred spot and why, and of what does your "set-up" consist? Why do you like it and do it, and what have your experiences been like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 06:35 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Interesting thread from a regular poster. What's spawned this, OP? Some of your poll choices sound like they're referring to "homelessness". I don't know who else would car camp in a parking lot or on a city street by choice.

I have taken many "naps" in my car at rest areas, truck stops, or even supermarket parking lots during road trips but I wouldn't consider that camping. Just snoozing for a few hours because I'm too tired to drive.

When I car camp it's usually with a pickup truck somewhere out in the wilderness, either national forest or BLM land, with no amenities. I choose to car camp for security reasons, mostly because I'm afraid of bears or the weather looks bad, so I'll sleep in the back of the truck.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:41 PM

I assure you I'm not homeless, LOL. Some days I wish I were!

Car camping is "a thing." There are FB and Reddit pages and other message board forums discussing it. It's an economical way to travel domestically by car, especially if you're (as I am) single and alone. Above all, I'm frugal, and as I've been traveling more lately, I find myself frustrated at spending over $100 just to basically sleep at night, so have been exploring alternatives, and this is one of them. I used to dream of buying an RV; now I realize all I really need is my back seat!

I've actually done it three times now -- just experimentally -- on short trips, and have lived to tell the tale; even been satisfied with the experience.

Anyone else?

(I forgot to add "rest area," which is of course a popular one.)

Old 03-31-2024, 06:46 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
I have car camped on long trips many times.
I prefer hospitals as most have free WiFi.
With truck stops I ask the teller the best place to park for the night.
Libraries are also nice and usually have free WiFi.
I sleep at rest stops along the interstates but only during the day and drive at night.
I have also just got off the highway onto a gravel road and pulled into an approach and sept there.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:25 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I find myself frustrated at spending over $100 just to basically sleep at night
I misunderstood the topic. So basically sleeping in a vehicle as opposed to paying for a hotel for the night? I've done this many times and would do so again! For the same reason...it's late, I just need a place to rest, and don't want to fork out $100+ just to sleep.

A few years back I was relocating with a cat, driving alone in my car. It was after 9pm and I had to stop, I was exhausted. I stopped at a couple motels (lower budget chain places) and they wanted something like $150 for the night plus a pet surcharge.

At the second place I went back to my car, parked in their overflow parking area, and went right to sleep in the back seat with my cat. As soon as daylight woke me up the next morning, I left.

Many years ago I stopped at a rest area somewhere in New Jersey in the middle of the night due to fatigue, and stretched out across the back seat and went to sleep. Before long there was someone tapping at the window, it was the Highway Patrol telling me I couldn't sleep there and to get going. Lame, and also dangerous. What are rest areas for, then?

Old 03-31-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Many years ago I stopped at a rest area somewhere in New Jersey in the middle of the night due to fatigue, and stretched out across the back seat and went to sleep. Before long there was someone tapping at the window, it was the Highway Patrol telling me I couldn't sleep there and to get going. Lame, and also dangerous. What are rest areas for, then?
That's odd! I stayed in one recently and noticed there were several others doing the same. Wonder if it varies from state to state?

Old 03-31-2024, 11:51 PM

32 posts, read 19,531 times
Camping policies differ depending on location. When I did it years ago while road-tripping out West, I never had issues at rest stops. Sometimes they'd even have designated spots for overnight parking. One resource I'd recommend checking out is the AllStays Camp & RV app. In addition to traditional campground listings, they have reviews of free/low-cost spots like rest areas, Walmarts, etc. That might give you a better idea of what's allowed where.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
When I lived in LA I camped on the 405 freeway on the way to and from work every day.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I prefer hospitals as most have free WiFi.
With truck stops I ask the teller the best place to park for the night.
Libraries are also nice and usually have free WiFi.
Why do you need WiFi; how long are you staying in one spot? I basically pull in at bedtime and leave at daylight. You may have more commodious accommodations than I do, though! I'm usually sharing the spot with at least one conversion van and a couple of travel trailers, but I wouldn't call that "car camping."

Also, I would be careful about telling anyone you're spending the night in your car; you never know who may overhear. I tried a truck stop once (then left; it was too bright and noisy) and just figured out where the most likely spot would be.

Again, no problems -- so far.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:46 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why do you need WiFi; how long are you staying in one spot? I basically pull in at bedtime and leave at daylight. You may have more commodious accommodations than I do, though! I'm usually sharing the spot with at least one conversion van and a couple of travel trailers, but I wouldn't call that "car camping."

Also, I would be careful about telling anyone you're spending the night in your car; you never know who may overhear. I tried a truck stop once (then left; it was too bright and noisy) and just figured out where the most likely spot would be.

Again, no problems -- so far.
I am cheap and have a Tracfone so the free WiFi to check emails, weather, and the like for a few minutes is nice. Otherwise just staying long enough to get some sleep and head out.

I tell the clerk at the truck stops so the PoPo isn't knocking on my window later that night. The light and noise doesn't bother me and they always just let me park in front of the "store". To me that is the safest place at a truck stop when not in a truck.

When younger I liked to drive at night and sleep at those places during the day. During the day it is extremely rare to have someone disturb you. I found at night there is a much larger chance of being disturbed especially at rest stops. Now if it is a few day trip I will sleep in my car one night and a motel the next night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing