Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you car camp and why?
24-hour truck stop 2 28.57%
Primitive campsite with a dummy tent 2 28.57%
Hospital 1 14.29%
24-hour gym 0 0%
Walmart 0 0%
Cracker Barrel 2 28.57%
Street 0 0%
Friend's or relative's driveway 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 07:44 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'll take your word for it. We have a 5th wheel.
This thread is about stopping to sleep on the way to your vacation spot. It is not about making a parking lot your end goal. You sound like a very sensitive andan extremely delicate spoiled traveler. Good for you that you can waste an extra $100 for a place you only plan on being fora few hours to get some sleep on the way to your real destination. Some of us don't have the money or just don't want to waste money when we don't have to.

Car Camping is a term whether you like it or not. If really camping I would choose a small very uncomfortable car seat over a tent any day of the week. I will be the spoiled and delicate one here and say I would quit camping if I had to sleep in a tent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 07:55 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
This thread is about stopping to sleep on the way to your vacation spot. It is not about making a parking lot your end goal. You sound like a very sensitive andan extremely delicate spoiled traveler. Good for you that you can waste an extra $100 for a place you only plan on being fora few hours to get some sleep on the way to your real destination. Some of us don't have the money or just don't want to waste money when we don't have to.

Car Camping is a term whether you like it or not. If really camping I would choose a small very uncomfortable car seat over a tent any day of the week. I will be the spoiled and delicate one here and say I would quit camping if I had to sleep in a tent.
No, this thread is not about stopping on the way to your vacation spot - read through the posts.

Yes, after years of tent camping, I AM a delicate and spoiled traveler, I earned it.

That said, if passing through I would park the RV at an acceptable parking lot to get rest, no biggie.

But again, the OP is looking at car camping AT the destination parking lot.

We've camped at campgrounds that range from $10 to over 100, and for free on BLM land, there are pros and cons to each.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2024, 08:01 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
But seriously otter, be careful. These places can be filled with sketchy people, who do sketchy things.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2024, 08:19 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But again, the OP is looking at car camping AT the destination parking lot.
I never said that.

This thread is about "car camping" however you wish to do it -- whether en route to a destination where you'll have traditional lodging, whether that's the "destination" itself (you'll do it while there), or whether on the road for work (traveling nurses often stay in their hospital parking lots). And yes, it's essentially "boondocking," only in a smaller space than a van or RV.

Some people cannot afford a fifth wheel -- or even over $100/night for a hotel room -- to take a vacation. I personally could, but don't like wasting my money, so am exploring this. Many have been able to travel extensively utilizing this method - some of their accommodations and buildouts are amazing - and I admire their courage and resourcefulness. It's easy enough to search "Car Camping" if you wish to educate yourself.

However, this thread WAS intended for those who actually do it; not those who have no clue or just wish to look down their noses and disparage it.

But some people just can't help themselves!

Old 04-03-2024, 10:15 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
I've camped in actual campgrounds, without a tent. I've also done it at events where people don't care if you have a tent or not.

I've heard there are issues in some places where car camping is discouraged and people will set up a dummy tent but I haven't had an issue to date.

I was shooed out of a NC rest stop years ago, I had stopped to take a quick nap and state police didn't like it. Wasn't even full dark and I didn't plan on staying long.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:24 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I am NOT going to call sleeping in your car at a rest area "car camping".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I agree. Sleeping in a car at a Wal-Mart parking lot after eating some Wal-Mart chicken tenders is not camping in my book. I've slept a few nights in at pull off rest stop too- not camping. That's resting.
I agree. Complete misuse of the term.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:47 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Some people cannot afford a fifth wheel -- or even over $100/night for a hotel room -- to take a vacation. I personally could, but don't like wasting my money, so am exploring this.
As part of a planned vacation I wouldn't resort to most of the options in the poll. Perhaps primitive camping, which I have done in the past, but only because I really wanted to visit someplace where there was no alternative. I've tried to sleep a couple of times at truck stops, but the noise and bright lights make it difficult for me to sleep. I'm exhausted after one night of that.

Staying at a state or federal campground isn't expensive. I just checked one of the Grand Canyon campgrounds, which shows $18 for a tent site, and seniors get a 50% discount. (Of course you can sleep in your vehicle, you don't need to set up a tent). That will get you a bathroom, and perhaps a place to wash dishes. Some even have pay showers. Typically it's quiet and dark, which makes for a good night's rest, and it's way more pleasant that hanging out at a Wal-Mart.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
(Of course you can sleep in your vehicle, you don't need to set up a tent).
If we're talking "en route," a parking lot may not be as scenic as a state or federal park, but it's more convenient. Most parks are off the beaten path and in the wilderness by design and not on the interstate. And as a destination, actually, most DON'T allow car camping; hence the use of "dummy tents" as a common hack.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:08 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
When I've done it it's mostly been at my destination.

If I were planning on overnighting along a route, I'd be careful about most of the locations simply because you don't know which WalMart in Eastern North Carolina is in a decent area and which one isn't (just as an example.)

IF I planned on a few consecutive nights in the same area I'd pony up for a campground, ideally one that also has a couple of amenities (water, bathroom maybe...)

Old 04-03-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
When I've done it it's mostly been at my destination.

If I were planning on overnighting along a route, I'd be careful about most of the locations simply because you don't know which WalMart in Eastern North Carolina is in a decent area and which one isn't (just as an example.)

IF I planned on a few consecutive nights in the same area I'd pony up for a campground, ideally one that also has a couple of amenities (water, bathroom maybe...)
The point of these businesses is that they're open 24/7, there are people coming and going, and they have surveillance cameras, lending an element of security. Also bathrooms.

Again, campgrounds almost always require a tent on a tent site. That's not car camping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing