Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you car camp and why?
24-hour truck stop 2 28.57%
Primitive campsite with a dummy tent 2 28.57%
Hospital 1 14.29%
24-hour gym 0 0%
Walmart 0 0%
Cracker Barrel 2 28.57%
Street 0 0%
Friend's or relative's driveway 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 09:04 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Okay. Are these private campgrounds? I've never seen such a restriction, but we typically stay at government properties... national/state/county parks/monuments.

I've considered getting a pickup for camping. We'd still bring a tent, but it would be nice to have the option of sleeping in the pickup when it rains or when we're in a rush and don't want to bother setting up a tent.
Around here the state and county campgrounds probably wouldn't be a problem. I've seen guys in their trucks at campgrounds that are there just to fish on the river that is next to the sites. We've done a bit of dry camping at various lakes and rivers in our area, and the sites run from $10 to 20 per night.

But most of these sites are out in the boonies, and for people who want to spend their time hunting, fishing, boating and hiking. Which is typical "camping" activities.

I think the problem is the type of clientele you normally get if people are sleeping in their car. Say you decide to go camping at a campground by a lake with your tent and outdoor stove, etc. You pull in, and it is all people sleeping in their cars, no camping or sporting equipment. Unfortunately, THAT seems like a homeless camp. One guy with a tarp over his camping bed, with a site full of camp equipment and fishing gear does not read "homeless."

I think the OP is not getting what she is looking for because she is calling sleeping in parking lots, "camping".

It would probably go better if she titled it "where can one sleep in parking lots overnight in their car?" (hey, the options to vote on changed.... or my cold medicine is stronger than I thought)

For her request of "set up" options. Sleeping bag and pillow? Water bottle so you can brush your teeth? Cooler for food? She-wee? Pepper spray? Flashlight?

For the options given, I would vote truck stop. It's a place where people sleep overnight and they have showers. No police will come by to ask you to move along.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 04-03-2024 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 09:14 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think the OP is not getting what she is looking for because she is calling sleeping in parking lots, "camping".

It would probably go better if she titled it "where can one sleep overnight in their car?"
"Homeless people" sleep in vehicles, including vehicles that are built out? If you say so... What I see on the news are homeless CAMPS involving TENTS, but okay.

People who actually car camp, which is "sleeping in your car" WHEREVER, know that it is referred to as car camping. Those who don't... Again, I'm not sure why they're here unless it's just to poke and jeer.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:22 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And do you car camp there; no tent set-up required?
No problem. No worries.

If you do the KOA you mostly book online ahead of your stay to be sure you have a spot.

Almost every KOA office we stayed at was closed by the time we arrived. Self check-in. You have reservation.

A few bucks for running water at your site. Most with electricity. Nice for heating something for supper or coffee. Restrooms, laundry if needed or if summer travel some even have a pool for a quick dip.

Easy way to go. Safe and convenient. Cheap enough

Old 04-03-2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
"Homeless people" sleep in vehicles, including vehicles that are built out? If you say so... What I see on the news are homeless CAMPS involving TENTS, but okay.

People who actually car camp, which is "sleeping in your car" WHEREVER, know that it's referred to as car camping. Those who don't... Again, I'm not sure why they're here unless it's just to poke and jeer.
Oh no. There are tons of homeless camps with people in cars or old RVs.

I feel like I have asked a lot of relevant questions: how will you use the bathroom in the middle of the night, what will you do for basic hygiene? You tell me to go look it up.

I tent camped for decades. But yeah, in camp sites, not parking lots.

I had to plan for car camping in high desert a year ago for astronomy camp in the middle of nowhere. I had all the details worked out, but luckily the RV got fixed. BUT, I had the skill set to DO it.

I could give you all the advice for car camping in your car in the boonies next to a river or in the redwoods.

I have no advice for camping in parking lots - mainly because there is not a lot of "set up" involved.

Your title is misleading, and your options very wide ranging, which is not really helping you get the answers you are looking for.

I did advise truck stops for safety, showers, and eliminating the possibility of police asking you to move.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
No problem. No worries.

If you do the KOA you mostly book online ahead of your stay to be sure you have a spot.

Almost every KOA office we stayed at was closed by the time we arrived. Self check-in. You have reservation.

A few bucks for running water at your site. Most with electricity. Nice for heating something for supper or coffee. Restrooms, laundry if needed or if summer travel some even have a pool for a quick dip.

Easy way to go. Safe and convenient. Cheap enough
Most KOAs in our area run around 50 to 60 a night. Which is fine because we have full hook ups, which may not benefit the OP much.

Some enforce rules, others are more lax. Most DO have clean showers which is nice, and it is safe.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:27 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:

People who actually car camp, which is "sleeping in your car" WHEREVER, know that it is referred to as car camping. Those who don't... Again, I'm not sure why they're here unless it's just to poke and jeer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORz0t4pjTuU

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bozeman/com..._side_streets/

https://www.kbzk.com/news/local-news...mps-have-to-go

https://www.bozeman.net/our-city/cit...-rights-of-way

Old 04-04-2024, 01:09 AM

451 posts, read 421,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I don't know where you find a hotel for $100 a night these days. Closer to $200 or more just to sleep. Either way, we like to pocket that money when traveling, but not willing to risk a safe nights rest so we look for KOA campgrounds along the route we're going. Yeah it still costs some, but way less than a clean motel. I think we averaged about 35-40 a night. One was even $18. (yes, a lot to camp, but way better than a hotel room)

Last trip like this was from Ca. to Fl. We had to stop a little early a couple times due to locations of KOA's, but that was alright. Gave us a little extra time out of the car along the way to walk & sight see

I'm using choice hotels and right now a promo stay two nights (different hotels) and get extra points about enough for a free night.
Depending on locations and days of week I'm getting the lower end hotels (Rodeway inn, econo lodge and quality) for around 65$ a night. If I factor in the free night promo around 40$. some type of breakfast included.

ok these are not the greatest hotels sometimes but I know what to expect and it's a break from the tent.
At texas state park campsite 14$ a night with showers available. Blm nice Campground $3.50 a night campsite with parks service lifetime card. Or national park site 10$ with no showers but toilets.

And the campsites all have nice hiking trails.

Old 04-04-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
At texas state park campsite 14$ a night with showers available. Blm nice Campground $3.50 a night campsite with parks service lifetime card. Or national park site 10$ with no showers but toilets.

And the campsites all have nice hiking trails.
And this is allowable CAR camping; not tent camping? Do you ASK if you can sleep in your car when you make the reservation, or just go for it once you arrive?

Sounds nice but, again, I know from experience (I frequent our own with my gov't discount) that even state parks are miles and miles off the beaten path and, if you're in the middle of a road trip, you probably won't want to make that detour just for eight hours of sleep you could get right off the interstate.

Still, I'll look into it. Apparently, KOA does allow it (they say so on their website), and they're not usually too far out in the wilderness, so thanks for that tip, whoever mentioned it.

Last edited by otterhere; 04-04-2024 at 06:59 AM..

Old 04-04-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I feel like I have asked a lot of relevant questions: how will you use the bathroom in the middle of the night, what will you do for basic hygiene? You tell me to go look it up.

I tent camped for decades. But yeah, in camp sites, not parking lots.
I answered your question: Planet Fitness or 24/7 Fitness. A membership allows you access to any of their gyms. Truck stops/travel centers also have showers and don't mind if you brush your teeth there. I've even seen that done at "respectable" Buc-ee's.

I feel like I have asked a relevant question, too: since this post is for car campers who already know these answers, and you consider yourself too good for it, WHY do you persist in posting here over and over?

But thanks for your interest; you evidently have a lot of it in this subject, for some reason! Google is your friend.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:51 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I think Starbucks should be added to the list. I see a car camping lady using their facilities nearly every time I go there.

The staff are very polite to her, and know her by name. She changes clothes in their restroom. She's always alone.

She hangs out in her car the entire time I'm inside, with windows open (I'm in SW FLA).

I wonder what she'll do when the temps heat up and it becomes unbearable to roast in her car like that?

She's got a decent looking Toyota Prius that looks like it could make it to points North where its cooler in the Summertime.

I wonder where she goes after Starbucks closes? I'd go to a 24 hr WalMart if there's one nearby. This is a pretty safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing