Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 08:30 AM

1,489 posts, read 791,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I can't see a place to do it on the app. It just says "go to your thermostat..." when I look for how to enter the WiFi password.
Try to download the owners manual for your thermostat. I have the original manual and that's how I figured out how to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 11:10 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Try to download the owners manual for your thermostat. I have the original manual and that's how I figured out how to do it.
Okay, I'll do that. I hope I was successful this morning in turning off the learning feature after waking up freezing to discover it set itself to 50 again. It was set at 72 when I went to bed, and by the time I woke up it was 62 degrees in the house.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:32 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll do that. I hope I was successful this morning in turning off the learning feature after waking up freezing to discover it set itself to 50 again. It was set at 72 when I went to bed, and by the time I woke up it was 62 degrees in the house.
When we had our AC system replaced at our old house, they installed a Nest thermostat and I hated it. I don't understand the hype. We currently have a Honeywell WiFi thermostat that cost $70 at Home Depot and works great. We installed it ourselves with no issues. It is programmable but we don't have any programs set up on it right now. It's nice to have the functionality if we need it later.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...80WF/203556922

Old 06-06-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
When we had our AC system replaced at our old house, they installed a Nest thermostat and I hated it. I don't understand the hype. We currently have a Honeywell WiFi thermostat that cost $70 at Home Depot and works great. We installed it ourselves with no issues. It is programmable but we don't have any programs set up on it right now. It's nice to have the functionality if we need it later.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...80WF/203556922
Yes, I think someone earlier link that too. I have it saved. I hate this one too. I don’t understand the learning feature at all. I don’t understand how a thermostat that’s never been set below 72 somehow learned that I prefer it to be 50° overnight. The whole point was to save money but my AC ran full blast for hours before the cold woke me.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:22 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
When we had our AC system replaced at our old house, they installed a Nest thermostat and I hated it. I don't understand the hype.
Well, when it works properly it is kind of nice if you are someone that adjusts the thermostat a lot. But overall IMO... it's just marketing.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:01 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
We have this one and we are happy with it:
https://a.co/d/7wkbWr7

Easy to use and gives you more control than other models. Plus, you can change the color of the screen.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
We have this one and we are happy with it:
https://a.co/d/7wkbWr7

Easy to use and gives you more control than other models. Plus, you can change the color of the screen.
I was looking at that one, but this review by an HVAC tech scared me away from it. He says it will shorten the life of your equipment:

“Im not sure why out of all the reviews there appears to be one person whom has reported on this serious issue. This thermostat had NO WAY of changing a factory default temperature swing differential. I installed a high efficiency two stage gas package system about a month ago and installed this thermostat to control it. The SERIOUS issue is that the temperature swing appears to be factory default at .25 degrees. A normal value is 1 degree and a tighter value that is sometimes used is .5 degrees. This extremely tight temp swing setting from the factory that IS NOT adjustable will KILL your equipment. The whole point of running a two stage machine is to have the low stage run allot longer periods of time. This is not possible with this stat because when set to 73, the compressor will kick on at 73.25 and kick off at 73!!! Complete absurdity. My system is on 5-7 minutes. Whithin 3-5 minutes the stat calls for cooling again only to be locked out by comperssor protection with screen indicating "waiting for equipment". So the factory non-adjustable swing on this thing basically has the unit attempting to kick back on before the compressor protection programming allows it to!”

I bought a Homex brand which I think is Amazon, but an HVAC tech we had over to fix our AC said it wasn’t compatible as it had 5 wires and we need one with 3. Do you remember how many this one had? It’s very frustrating, trying to find out which are compatible and which aren’t.

In the meantime, we are having to set our alarm for midnight every Sunday, so we can go change the air conditioner from 50° back to 73. There appears to be no fix for this glitch in the Google nest thermostat we have. We turned off the learning feature a long time ago, and went through every single day to make sure it was set at 73 for every day, but still at midnight every Sunday it sets itself to 50. I really think that’s what broke our air conditioning system but I’m not sure.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:58 AM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times
Quote:
...and went through every single day to make sure it was set at 73 for every day, but still at midnight every Sunday it sets itself to 50.
Why do you have a schedule? I don't have a schedule on mine.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:19 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Quote:
I was looking at that one, but this review by an HVAC tech scared me away from it. He says it will shorten the life of your equipment:

“Im not sure why out of all the reviews there appears to be one person whom has reported on this serious issue. This thermostat had NO WAY of changing a factory default temperature swing differential. I installed a high efficiency two stage gas package system about a month ago and installed this thermostat to control it. The SERIOUS issue is that the temperature swing appears to be factory default at .25 degrees. A normal value is 1 degree and a tighter value that is sometimes used is .5 degrees. This extremely tight temp swing setting from the factory that IS NOT adjustable will KILL your equipment. The whole point of running a two stage machine is to have the low stage run allot longer periods of time. This is not possible with this stat because when set to 73, the compressor will kick on at 73.25 and kick off at 73!!! Complete absurdity. My system is on 5-7 minutes. Whithin 3-5 minutes the stat calls for cooling again only to be locked out by comperssor protection with screen indicating "waiting for equipment". So the factory non-adjustable swing on this thing basically has the unit attempting to kick back on before the compressor protection programming allows it to!”

I bought a Homex brand which I think is Amazon, but an HVAC tech we had over to fix our AC said it wasn’t compatible as it had 5 wires and we need one with 3. Do you remember how many this one had? It’s very frustrating, trying to find out which are compatible and which aren’t.

In the meantime, we are having to set our alarm for midnight every Sunday, so we can go change the air conditioner from 50° back to 73. There appears to be no fix for this glitch in the Google nest thermostat we have. We turned off the learning feature a long time ago, and went through every single day to make sure it was set at 73 for every day, but still at midnight every Sunday it sets itself to 50. I really think that’s what broke our air conditioning system but I’m not sure.
Strange, we never had an issue like that where it attempts to call for cool during the compressor lockout. I wonder why Resideo hasn't ordered Amazon to delete that review that could be defamatory.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:52 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Reset the Nest.
https://support.google.com/googlenes...47296?hl=en-GB

This will NOT hurt anything. Reset it and set it up all over again. And choose NO when asked about learning.
Bet money this would fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics