Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 11:22 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Hello! We have a Google Nest thermostat that we got free from our electric company. It hasn't been hooked up to WiFi for several months because our internet went out and we could not get it to reconnect (someone told us there is a time limit for punching in the network password, and because you have to toggle to multiple screens to get capital letters, lower case letters, number and symbols, all on separate screens, we could not get it in fast enough and we gave up. We don't want to change network password because last time we did we had to reset all our WiFi gadgets and had a terrible time with the garage door.

We were just using it as a regular thermostat and setting it manually. Now however, the thermostat changes itself at random times to 50 degrees. We wake up freezing and have to go put it back to 73. In looking that up, multiple people have had the issue, and it turns out Google Nest thermometers aren't supposed to be hooked up to "stranded wires" they need a solid one or something, and that is what Google told someone else who had the same issue.

So now I'm looking at alternatives, however none of them say in the description whether they will work with stranded wires. There is also no way to find out in advance which have a more streamlined way of entering network password vs toggling back and forth between 4 screens a milllion times.

Any suggestions appreciated. We don't use Alexa or Google or anything. We also don't need programmable to a schedule because our schedule changes every day. I just want it to be operable to change the temp from a smartphone app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 11:40 AM

4,527 posts, read 2,664,836 times
I guarantee that this one will work with stranded or solid wire. The intelligence will have to be supplied by you.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-T...tat/1000061741

Old 05-31-2022, 12:00 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I guarantee that this one will work with stranded or solid wire. The intelligence will have to be supplied by you.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-T...tat/1000061741
We already have that kind, lol. When the Nest did work, I really did like being able to change the temp while laying in bed from my phone if I woke up hot or cold so thought I'd give another smart one a try just for that, if I can find one compatible.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:39 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
STOP. This has nothing to do with wiring. This is the SMART feature of your thermo being active. The exact same thing happened to us, well not quite. Ours cranked the heat and we woke up sweating...
You need to turn off the learning feature on the thermo.
I don't know if you can from the device itself. GET IT ON THE WIFI.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:43 AM

1,489 posts, read 793,904 times
I have a Honeywell Wifi thermostat and it works great. It also has a phone app for when your away.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:02 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I am pleased with my ecobee.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:34 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
We have the older version of this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...80WF/203556922

No Wi-Fi.
Easy to use.
Semi smart.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:33 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I have a Honeywell Wifi thermostat and it works great. It also has a phone app for when your away.

Yup... Same here. I can manage it from my phone when I am away and that's the most important feature to me.
I have it for more than decade now, and no problems.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:39 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
OP's Thermostat works great too. Y'all need to stop with the thermostat recommendations. LOL
The router OP and I have has a Learning feature that tries to automatically adjust your thermostat based on how you like it. An amazing feature... when it works right. Will save you money. When it works. As shown... it can be buggy. I turned this off on mine and it's been perfect since as a simple thermo that I can work from my phone.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:48 AM

1,489 posts, read 793,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OP's Thermostat works great too. Y'all need to stop with the thermostat recommendations. LOL
The router OP and I have has a Learning feature that tries to automatically adjust your thermostat based on how you like it. An amazing feature... when it works right. Will save you money. When it works. As shown... it can be buggy. I turned this off on mine and it's been perfect since as a simple thermo that I can work from my phone.
She said she was looking for alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics