Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 10:28 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Why do you have a schedule? I don't have a schedule on mine.
We don't have a schedule set (remember we haven't been able to hook it to internet in many weeks now). I meant we went into settings and went over each day to make sure they were all set at the same temp. Monday midnight said 50 and we changed it to 73, but it still changed to 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Strange, we never had an issue like that where it attempts to call for cool during the compressor lockout. I wonder why Resideo hasn't ordered Amazon to delete that review that could be defamatory.
IDK, he's an HVAC tech so I trusted his judgement. I don't know anything he's talking about technically though.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Reset the Nest.
https://support.google.com/googlenes...47296?hl=en-GB

This will NOT hurt anything. Reset it and set it up all over again. And choose NO when asked about learning.
Bet money this would fix it.
We can't get it hooked back up to the internet, it's been a while now. It won't take our password. But other people who have this problem (there are enough out there that I think it's a defect in some devices) haven't been able to fix it. I have tried everything I read that people suggested to those others. We had the learning feature turned off a long time ago.

In every single case, the thermostat changes itself to either 50 degrees or 90 degrees, nothing between them. Always 50 or 90. Several people tried resetting to no avail.

This is the typical post I find when Googling:

"This is my second Nest with the same issue. First was replaced under warranty but the same problem persists. It’s a 3rd Gen thermostat.

unit was professionally installed 3 years ago with a new HVAC system.

The thermostat is usually set to Eco mode, but it will randomly change temperature to 50 or 90 degrees on its own. I’ve reset, powered off, turned off every automated feature (no schedule, no home/away, no learning) and I now have the thermostat covered with a box so it’s motion sensor is blocked. It’s not a security/access issue. Hours have been spent on the phone troubleshooting. Again, this is the second unit with the same issue.

I’m ready to replace it with something else. I see this issue posted elsewhere with no fixes offered. Has anyone found a solution?"

Old 07-27-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Strange, we never had an issue like that where it attempts to call for cool during the compressor lockout. I wonder why Resideo hasn't ordered Amazon to delete that review that could be defamatory.
Do you recall if it had 3 wires or 5 in the back?

Old 07-27-2022, 11:41 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Do you recall if it had 3 wires or 5 in the back?
We have 5 wires - R, C, W, Y, and G. Our system is a zoned gas/AC system. The C wire is required for this thermostat.

Note that if you have a zoned system, it will not work with master/slave systems.

For your Nest, do you have a C wire? If you don't that could be causing your network problems. Having a C wire will provide a more stable Internet connection.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:33 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
We can't get it hooked back up to the internet, it's been a while now. It won't take our password.
My bad. TOTALLY forgot about that this thread has been going so long. LOL

Old 07-28-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
We have 5 wires - R, C, W, Y, and G. Our system is a zoned gas/AC system. The C wire is required for this thermostat.

Note that if you have a zoned system, it will not work with master/slave systems.

For your Nest, do you have a C wire? If you don't that could be causing your network problems. Having a C wire will provide a more stable Internet connection.
I have no idea. The HVAC guy who was out the other day just looked at our new thermostat and said we couldn't use it because it had 5 wires and we need 3 wires. I can't find info online about how many wires the thermostats have, they only mention if it needs a C-wire.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:18 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

Which reminds me of a funny story...
About a year ago I had my main roof AC system replaced, and they installed an Ecobee thermostat. The guy called me to come and help him install the thermostat, which I thought was odd, and I know NOTHING about anything like that. He explained that he was color blind and needed me to identify the colors of the wires.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:48 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times
Quote:
I have no idea. The HVAC guy who was out the other day just looked at our new thermostat and said we couldn't use it because it had 5 wires and we need 3 wires. I can't find info online about how many wires the thermostats have, they only mention if it needs a C-wire.
We were able to hook up our Honeywells without issues. Not sure if the same is true with Ecobee. Our old thermostats were also by Honeywell, so that took out a lot of frustration and simplified installation for us.

Note that thermostat wire colors are not officially standardized, but there are common conventions on the colors. R/Rh/Rc (power) is usually red, C (common) is usually either blue or black, W (heat) is usually white, Y (cool) is usually yellow, G (fan) is usually green, and O (heat pump) is usually orange.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:21 PM

1,097 posts, read 644,377 times
Peregrine suggested reset, which does not require internet and you respond directly with this.

Quote:
We can't get it hooked back up to the internet, it's been a while now. It won't take our password.
Why would you respond that to the resetting suggestion? It causes people (like me) to need further clarification that you understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics