Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 01:32 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Peregrine suggested reset, which does not require internet and you respond directly with this.
Why would you respond that to the resetting suggestion? It causes people (like me) to need further clarification that you understand.
Thanks for getting me to rethink this Ak.

This is actually a good point that I just had to verify and did. It has been so long since I set up my Nest I assumed YOU HAD TO CONNECT to the internet or at least your router at some point during setup.
I am wrong. You do NOT need to. This is the very last step after the Nest is set up and working. You can stop there.
If you do not connect your Nest to Wifi it will act as a dumb thermostat. And isn't that what you want?
Reset the thermostat. Now. Do not pass go...

Are you using the Google Home app to set up your Nest? As shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxiFjfzv438
I am assuming you are not. This just hit me... because you say the problem with the password is you don't have enough time to enter it ON THE THERMOSTAT. If you are using the app, you use your phone to enter the password... not the thermostat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 01:57 PM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times
Peregrine, what I meant is to reset from the thermostat itself, by going to settings and then spin the dial all the way to the right for the reset options. I assume she has done this before letting this go to a 40-post thread, but who knows (based on her responding with the wifi problem when you suggested resetting).

Her unsupported (by Google) stranded wire is certainly a possible cause for problems, so let's see.

Last edited by akrausz; 07-28-2022 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-28-2022, 02:51 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
I know and I'm agreeing. She says she doesn't want to reset because she can't enter the password on the Thermostat.
You don't have to!

RESET THE THERMO!

Old 07-28-2022, 04:18 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I have a Honeywell Wifi thermostat and it works great. It also has a phone app for when your away.

Another vote for Honeywell WiFi thermostat with an app for the phone that lets you control the thermostat remotely (or from your bed).

Old 07-29-2022, 10:25 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Peregrine suggested reset, which does not require internet and you respond directly with this.

Why would you respond that to the resetting suggestion? It causes people (like me) to need further clarification that you understand.
I was responding to the "choose no when it asks about learning" part of the post. I assumed that you needed internet connection for the learning feature.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Thanks for getting me to rethink this Ak.

This is actually a good point that I just had to verify and did. It has been so long since I set up my Nest I assumed YOU HAD TO CONNECT to the internet or at least your router at some point during setup.
I am wrong. You do NOT need to. This is the very last step after the Nest is set up and working. You can stop there.
If you do not connect your Nest to Wifi it will act as a dumb thermostat. And isn't that what you want?
Reset the thermostat. Now. Do not pass go...

Are you using the Google Home app to set up your Nest? As shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxiFjfzv438
I am assuming you are not. This just hit me... because you say the problem with the password is you don't have enough time to enter it ON THE THERMOSTAT. If you are using the app, you use your phone to enter the password... not the thermostat.
We were connected to the internet initially. It was the electric company tech that installed it, because we got it free as part of a promotion and it included installation. But during a storm we lost internet connection and we were never able to get it connected again.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I know and I'm agreeing. She says she doesn't want to reset because she can't enter the password on the Thermostat.
You don't have to!

RESET THE THERMO!
That is not what I said. You said "say no when it asks about the learning feature", that is what prompted me to say it isn't connected to the internet. If it's not connected I can't imagine it will even offer us that as an option. I will try the reset, but that was a common thing that was tried by a lot of the people who had this problem and it didn't work for them, so I just don't have high hopes for it.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Another vote for Honeywell WiFi thermostat with an app for the phone that lets you control the thermostat remotely (or from your bed).
I like everything about them in looking at them, but that one review by the HVAC tech is the only thing scaring me off it.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:40 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,329,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I like everything about them in looking at them, but that one review by the HVAC tech is the only thing scaring me off it.
I have had zero issues like that and that is my honest and unbiased experience. Of course, there are many variables such as climate and how well your home is insulated, but they seem to work fine for us. Perhaps the tech got a defective unit.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I have had zero issues like that and that is my honest and unbiased experience. Of course, there are many variables such as climate and how well your home is insulated, but they seem to work fine for us. Perhaps the tech got a defective unit.
But would you know if you were having that issue? To be honest, I didn’t understand what he meant by swing differential because I assume that’s an HVAC technical term. But I would assume most people wouldn’t know what that was set to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics