Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 10:40 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times

Advertisements

I met a guy that did this to his Volt:

Says it adds maybe 10 miles of range per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 03:26 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Here's an alpha prototype of the Aptera on Jay Leno's Garage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsYyJJFYRvc

Still has quite a bit of refining to do, but the basics of a working vehicle are there.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:45 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Here is a very cool idea - it's a carport with its roof made of solar panels, that charges the vehicles underneath, made by an outfit in western NY.

See story at
https://www.treehugger.com/solar-can...it-too-5201963

Old 10-24-2021, 08:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
I hope they dont have storms/hurricanes in the area,that thing can be knocked down and there goes the solar panel

Old 10-24-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I hope they dont have storms/hurricanes in the area,that thing can be knocked down and there goes the solar panel
That timber frame is massive and isn't going to get knocked down. I suppose in a high intensity hurricane, the solar panels will be ripped off the frame, but if you've got that going on, your house is probably in trouble too - you've got other, larger issues, so you can just as well criticize homes for not being hurricane proof. Few homes will survive 120-150mph winds. On the other hand, few homes will ever experience such winds.

If someone wanted to prepare for a heinous forecasted storm, they could probably just dismount the panels from the frame, the same way someone might screw in plywood panels over windows on their house to prepare to weather the storm. You could probably put your solar panels in the garage, and as long as your garage is still standing after the storm, remount them.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-24-2021 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-24-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Here's an alpha prototype of the Aptera on Jay Leno's Garage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsYyJJFYRvc

Still has quite a bit of refining to do, but the basics of a working vehicle are there.
It's an interesting vehicle - reminds me of some of the designs submitted in solar races, mostly by university engineering research groups. These guys are trying to achieve similar performance, while making a vehicle that will be street legal and practical as an everyday driver, pretty cool.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It's an interesting vehicle - reminds me of some of the designs submitted in solar races, mostly by university engineering research groups. These guys are trying to achieve similar performance, while making a vehicle that will be street legal and practical as an everyday driver, pretty cool.

Yea, it's interesting in that they're going in a very different direction from other new automakers. Another odd bit about this is that they're also using in-wheel motors which normally would have an issue with unsprung weight, but supposedly these motors are very light for the amount of power produced.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Here is a very cool idea - it's a carport with its roof made of solar panels, that charges the vehicles underneath, made by an outfit in western NY.

See story at
https://www.treehugger.com/solar-can...it-too-5201963

I think for the highway side, mostly stand-alone EV charging stations, this is probably going to end up being part of the standard build. A lot of stations have awnings of sorts for sun and shade as well as a small one-story convenience store, and so I think what will end up making sense with batteries and solar panels going down in price is that the standard build for stand-alone refueling stations is the roofs of both having solar panels and there being a stationary storage battery on location.

They'd still have utility hookup for power, but they'd be able to produce a significant amount of the power needed from solar panels that is used immediately or stored on site with any excess sold back to the grid at peak periods (if there are any) and possibly charging from the grid during the periods when there is the most excess supply over demand so that the financial model for them would be a combination of selling power directly to people charging alongside arbitrage on the electricity market where it's selling at peak time of use costs and buying from the grid when it's lowest (possibly even being paid for storage if large excess supply from the grid), and meanwhile it also provides some redundancy during periods of the grid going down.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, it's interesting in that they're going in a very different direction from other new automakers. Another odd bit about this is that they're also using in-wheel motors which normally would have an issue with unsprung weight, but supposedly these motors are very light for the amount of power produced.
Yeah, I saw Jay asking about that... I mean, the extra unsprung weight probably does have some meaningful negative effect, but you've got the two principles describing the car just prior to its introduction after years of struggling, they are basically marketing it... now, they have been joined by some experienced industry collaborators in the past year and have revised the design considerably with their input, is my understanding... and if this was just a fatally dumb engineering tradeoff, I imagine it would have been addressed with that input.

P.S. If I recall, Rivian has motors at each wheel, presumably unsprung mass as well? Or are the wheels driven by short shafts from chassis-mounted motors?

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-24-2021 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-24-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I saw Jay asking about that... I mean, the extra unsprung weight probably does have some meaningful negative effect, but you've got the two principles describing the car just prior to its introduction after years of struggling, they are basically marketing it... now, they have been joined by some experienced industry collaborators in the past year and have revised the design considerably with their input, is my understanding... and if this was just a fatally dumb engineering tradeoff, I imagine it would have been addressed with that input.

P.S. If I recall, Rivian has motors at each wheel, presumably onboard mass as well?

Yep, Rivian has four motors, but they aren't in-wheel motors, but are instead a set of two motors each paired (a pair for front wheels, a pair for rear wheels) and next to each other, slung low, basically inline with the wheels and towards the middle of the vehicle that drive each wheel via a gear reduction, a fairly long axle, and a CV joint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles