Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 06:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am a fan, but boy, Kyle was really milking that It was interesting though and very reassuring to see that it all went off without a hitch - kudos to Ford and Tesla.
Yea, he did! That probably could've been a two minute video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sort of...

As predicted, he's blocking two spots. This is not a win for Tesla owners.
Yea, it is. By his accounting, if people all arranged their vehicles right and it was half Teslas and half F-150 Lightnings, it'd be just one spot lost overall, but who is going to arrange their vehicles just right? Plus, there are a lot of other configurations of charge ports out there.

I think it might still work out okay for the most part for Tesla owners though since
- some Superchargers, not just V2 and V1, but V3 Superchargers remain off-limits which might because they have the highest risk of crowding
- V4 Superchargers have been getting deployed since October of last month and are continuing to do so, and these have longer cables so vehicles don't have to take up two spaces and these will become the most common Superchargers probably within the next couple of years
- other EVs simply haven't sold in very large numbers in the US so far and the time period each automakers vehicles get access will be staggered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 07:30 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quick note, if you go to TESLA's charger location website or on the app, you'll see that just over 70% of the V3 chargers are open to non Tesla EV's. The V3's that are not open are those in supply limited markets with high Tesla's EV demand. They really don't want Tesla vehicles to be waiting in line to use a Tesla charger behind non Tesla EV's. So they close some off by not listing them as available and have the charger software reject any non Tesla vehicle. You will also notice that in some markets, some V3's in the same in-line bank are open while some are restricted.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:36 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times
I have a road trip coming up soon. I hope this doesn’t cause me problems.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-01-2024, 09:53 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Sort of...

As predicted, he's blocking two spots. This is not a win for Tesla owners.
Not blocking any spots. Since Tesla has chosen not to update the chargers (other than some V3 to V4 conversions) that's the way you're supposed to charge a lot of non-Tesla EVs. Not that many have rear left/right front charge ports so this is going to be pretty normal for the majority of non-Tesla EV. It's kind of unfortunate that it's what Tesla chose to do but you're right, most people predicted this would be an issue although I'm surprised that Tesla has as far as I know chosen to not retrofit any chargers at all. I thought they'd retrofit some but not get to all of them but that hasn't been the case as far as I know. The lack of that was a big reason I was questioning whether Tesla would follow through on opening up chargers as stated. Looks like they're doing so which is good for non-Teslas but they're definitely not doing it in the best way for existing Tesla owners.

Basically common sense. If you absolutely have to for a quick charge to reach another charger and avoid a flatbed, go for it. Just be cognizant that you're in Tesla territory and since they didn't design the chargers well it creates an issue. Tesla owners will, understandably, mistakenly think that you are blocking a spot. Probably won't play out that way. You'll have some Bolt or non-boosted Taycan taking 90 minutes to get a mostly full charge at 50 kW and a Tesla butting heads since they can't both charge in two spots next to each other.

https://www.tesla.com/support/superc...ther-evs#cable

There's a helpful picture for how Tesla intends the chargers to be used on their website. This isn't really a very intuitive way and most people will charge as Kyle is doing rather than how Tesla intends which is to park in the middle straddling the line. Whether that really matters or not varies. The cables might reach for a Tesla to come along next to a car straddling the lines is I guess why they suggest that but you're still going to end up with plenty of times where there's no room for a Tesla to fit either way.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-01-2024 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-01-2024, 10:44 AM

It’s not a mistake: they’re taking up two spots. It may not be their fault the same as an ICE’er, but I’m not mistaken when pointing out a fact.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-01-2024, 10:52 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
It’s not a mistake: they’re taking up two spots. It may not be their fault the same as an ICE’er, but I’m not mistaken when pointing out a fact.
No clue what Malloric is rambling about as he's on ignore, but the video I posted has him definitely taking up two spaces and it's going to be a rare non-Tesla that doesn't require taking two spaces at a V3, pull-in Supercharger which is the majority of Tesla Superchargers.

It does look like Tesla's going to be charging higher rates for non-Tesla's though or make them pay a monthly membership fee to pay the same rate: https://electrek.co/2024/02/29/busin...g-memberships/

That might sometimes disincentivize other EV owners to use Superchargers though I think even at the higher rate without membership it seems competitive with the other DC chargers.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are mistaken. Another F-150 or many other EVs could come in and park right next to him to the right and charge just fine. They wouldn't give it a second thought that he was blocking a spot as the fact is he isn't blocking a spot. A Tesla (or other EV with rear left/front right port) would not be able to charge next to him.

Conversely if a Tesla was already parked in the spot immediately left of where Kyle had that F-150 you'd have the exact same situation in reverse. Another Tesla could come along and park and charge immediately to the right. They wouldn't give it a second thought that that Tesla was blocking a spot as he in fact would not be blocking a spot. If an F-150 came in to charge, however, where Kyle has that F-150 in the video it would not be able to charge. The Tesla would be using that charger already and "blocking" the space next to him.

Of course in neither case is a space being blocked. It's just how it is. Due to the design of the chargers Teslas and non-Teslas can't always charge next to one another. That's why all the other charging companies do longer cables ala Tesla's new V4 design.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:27 AM

This is like a flat earth argument.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
This is like a flat earth argument.
I wouldn't say your argument is flat earth. It's overly harsh on yourself.

Standard V3 Supercharger design puts the charger in the middle of the two parking spots on the line. Facing the chargers Teslas always take the charger on the right as it's the only way they can do it. Other cars will do the same and take the charger to the right or the left depending on charger layout as that's the only way they can do it as well. It'll understandably take some Tesla owners a bit of time to adjust to the new reality this is how it is now that Superchargers are open to other makes at large. It would have been better if Tesla made an effort to retrofit the V3s such that this wouldn't be an issue.

It's not an issue on V4. It's not just the longer cables. The chargers are placed differently as well. Much better design for the new reality that it's not just Teslas charging anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mox4tL3dR8o

Old 03-01-2024, 12:02 PM

This is exactly the attitude Tesla owners have been preparing for. Day one and the outsiders act like they own the place.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles