Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 01:28 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

I took a peak at the supercharger openings / reopenings in North America and it looks like they've got a pretty rapid pace going: https://supercharge.info/changes

Since the beginning of this year, there have been 99 supercharging stations opened in North America (almost all US with some Canada and one in Mexico), 98 of those at 250 kW, most of these at 12 stalls, but some as far up as 48 stalls. Meanwhile, the pipeline for construction starts this year is a bit larger than the openings and the permit filed this year are even greater than the construction starts. It's too bad it's not listed which ones are V4 superchargers, because should also yield less problematic placement/cable length for non-Tesla vehicles as well as higher possible max output though they'd all be listed as 250 kW at this point.

Given the relatively small current number of non-Tesla vehicles there are, how slowly that rollout of each automaker with adapters being sent out after the official access to the network, and the fact that the vast majority of EV charging from now to about a decade from now will be home charging, it seems like the pace of supercharger openings can probably keep up pretty well though there might be some problem corridors depending on how they're targeting these roll out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 06:30 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m on a road trip this coming weekend. I wonder if I’ll see any third-party cars out there.
Not all the current Tesla chargers are open to other manufactures. Adapter or not, if the charger isn't showing as open to non Tesla's on the app, it's limited to only Tesla's. All the newly installed (2024) chargers are open to all EV's as those are receiving government incentives. Only when an older one is converted and approved for subsidy's, they will be open to all EV's.

Now remember, with an adapter, you can use any of the commercial stations or if they have since added a NACS plug to their station, you just hookup as normal (just need that station's access payment method) and pay like all others.

Old 03-19-2024, 12:14 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,660,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Thins that make you go Hmmm.....

Ford was Feb. Now Rivian says March. And that's the order they were listed.

Supported
Ford (FEB)

Coming Spring
Rivian (MAR)
General Motors (APR)
Volvo (MAY)
Polestar (JUN)

See how well they line up on a month by month basis to end in June?
Rivian was March as I expected, but it was the 18th and not the 31st.

Some random on Twitter said GM would start about 20 March....but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:19 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Not all the current Tesla chargers are open to other manufactures. Adapter or not, if the charger isn't showing as open to non Tesla's on the app, it's limited to only Tesla's. All the newly installed (2024) chargers are open to all EV's as those are receiving government incentives. Only when an older one is converted and approved for subsidy's, they will be open to all EV's.

Now remember, with an adapter, you can use any of the commercial stations or if they have since added a NACS plug to their station, you just hookup as normal (just need that station's access payment method) and pay like all others.
I’ve only used Level 2 third party chargers. I will never use a third party level 3, at least not while I’m still a Tesla owner.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-19-2024, 02:41 PM

Chargepoint is now selling NACS cable replacements for their DC fast chargers: https://electrek.co/2024/03/19/tesla...t-ev-chargers/

This wasn't much of a problem in the first place though since Tesla has had adapters for CCS1 for a while now, plus there's little incentive for Tesla owners to use DC fast chargers that aren't part of the Tesla Supercharger network.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:23 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,660,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Chargepoint is now selling NACS cable replacements for their DC fast chargers: https://electrek.co/2024/03/19/tesla...t-ev-chargers/

This wasn't much of a problem in the first place though since Tesla has had adapters for CCS1 for a while now, plus there's little incentive for Tesla owners to use DC fast chargers that aren't part of the Tesla Supercharger network.
I can't imagine those will be very popular for a while. Until most cars start coming out with NACS ports, a non-Tesla charger is probably better off with a CCS plug.

Once NACS adaptors are everywhere I can see making a switch. Right now they are close to non-existent

Old 03-20-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I can't imagine those will be very popular for a while. Until most cars start coming out with NACS ports, a non-Tesla charger is probably better off with a CCS plug.

Once NACS adaptors are everywhere I can see making a switch. Right now they are close to non-existent

Yea, that sounds about right. I think the other charging networks have a conundrum here of when their new deployments should be NACS from the start as well as when they should invest in changing over to NACS. I don't think it'll be very long though since every year has seen more EVs sold than the previous and the base number of non-Tesla EVs in the US isn't all that high.

Old 03-22-2024, 04:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Tesla is expanding their supercharging network in Maine within the past year. I still wouldn't say facilities are great, but I was just looking in PlugShare, and it's better than it was a year ago. They recently put in a station in midcoast Maine along Rte 1 finally, in Rockland.

That's long overdue - Maine gets lots of tourists, and literally millions of visitors take Rte 1 along the coast through that scenic region every year, but it's been a fast charging desert until now, and you're at least an hour's drive away from the chargers out on I-95, so you'd need to detour for over 2 hrs to get a charge until now - which would not only be super inconvenient, it would lose plenty of electrons on the detour to get more electrons :-(. There is hope.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:48 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
My first CCS adapter sighting. Only Teslas here though. I’m in Binghampton.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla Officially Open Superchargers to other cars-img_2313.jpeg  

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-22-2024, 07:33 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,421,491 times
I see your out in the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles