Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 06:33 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times

Advertisements

Right now it's only Ford with other to follow in "Spring 2024" which i take to mean by June 21,2024. Still light at the end of the tunnel. And I don't think many Ford owners actually have an adaptor since Jim Farley was just seen testing one.

So this may be more about the "app" right ow than anything else.

----------------------------

Supported
Ford

Coming Spring
Rivian
General Motors
Volvo
Polestar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 06:55 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Right now it's only Ford with other to follow in "Spring 2024" which i take to mean by June 21,2024. Still light at the end of the tunnel. And I don't think many Ford owners actually have an adaptor since Jim Farley was just seen testing one.

So this may be more about the "app" right ow than anything else.

----------------------------

Supported
Ford

Coming Spring
Rivian
General Motors
Volvo
Polestar
Besides greater reliability/uptime, and a smoother transaction process, the Tesla network has a much larger number of high rate (>= 150kW) DC fast charger "dispensers" than e.g. Electrify America, EVGo, or ChargePoint.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:52 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
https://electrek.co/2024/02/29/ford-...now-available/

Ford has opened up orders (though they're free) for their CCS to NACS adapter. They'll start showing up for Mach-E and F-150 Lightning owners this coming month (March) and ostensibly ready to go for "more than 15,000" Tesla superchargers in the US and Canada. This will be only V3 superchargers and necessarily all of them.

It makes some sense that this is a limited roll-out to just Ford at first. I wonder if there's a plan here to trial adding different automakers's vehicles to the Supercharging network so that it doesn't get flooded. Also, apparently some V3 Superchargers are not part of at least this initial rollout. I think the tough one might be GM because GM has actually made a lot of vehicles out there and the bulk of them so far are Chevrolet Bolts. The Bolts are fantastic vehicles as fun to drive, wonderfully packaged compact vehicles at a great price, but its DC fast charging speeds are much slower than the average Tesla, Mach E, or F-150 Lightning and are in much larger number of vehicles than the Fords. Opening up the Supercharger network to GM might present a bit of an issue to open up to as there are about a quarter million of them in the US and Canada and pretty much all of them with quite new battery packs so they'll be around for a while.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:09 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It makes some sense that this is a limited roll-out to just Ford at first. I wonder if there's a plan here to trial adding different automakers's vehicles to the Supercharging network so that it doesn't get flooded.
All the major manufactures will be NACS capable by years end. The TESLA rollout limits are mainly due to two issues. First, adapters for current models have to be manufactured. Currently Ford was the first to have them ready to operate. Second, Tesla needs to develop software for the other manufacture vehicles to be able to use their chargers. Although TESLA is supposed to have a non proprietary payment option to receive federal money, that's more for future expansion and charger types, not absolutely required for current units. So the other manufactures vehicles need to be able to talk with the supercharger to identify whose account is to be billed. You will initially most likely need an account somewhere, be it TESLA or other, to be able to make payment though that service as they wont be accepting credit cards "at the pump" so to speak.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
All the major manufactures will be NACS capable by years end. The TESLA rollout limits are mainly due to two issues. First, adapters for current models have to be manufactured. Currently Ford was the first to have them ready to operate. Second, Tesla needs to develop software for the other manufacture vehicles to be able to use their chargers. Although TESLA is supposed to have a non proprietary payment option to receive federal money, that's more for future expansion and charger types, not absolutely required for current units. So the other manufactures vehicles need to be able to talk with the supercharger to identify whose account is to be billed. You will initially most likely need an account somewhere, be it TESLA or other, to be able to make payment though that service as they wont be accepting credit cards "at the pump" so to speak.
I think there might be a purposeful phased rollout for Tesla Supercharger access for other automakers happening alongside waits in manufacturing adapters and software development for the payment side of things. I think the indicator of that to me is that even though adapters are about to be shipped out to Ford owners and thus the software should be more or less ready for V3 superchargers itself and the payment gateway for Ford owners as well through the update to Ford's app, the announcement also came with the idea that there are going to be some V3 superchargers that are not part of this initial roll-out. Then again, it may be that there are differences even among Tesla's V3 superchargers within the same generation that need other modifications to support NACS rather than a purposeful constraint on NACS-compatibility.

One thing I'd be curious about is if Ford will be giving free NACS to CCS adapters for a period of time when the first Ford vehicles with NACS ports roll out since there are and will to continue to be for the next few years quite a lot of CCS charging stations in the US and Canada.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzVbTr35RvA

Here's the first public video of the adapter Ford is sending out. The adapter's pretty small and good for Supercharging only. It's quite a long video and he only starts putting the adapter in at 9:43 or so where you can see how much slimmer the NACS plug is.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:27 PM

Now Rivian says they'll gain access in March. Will they be before GM?

Rivian
@Rivian
Supercharger access is coming to Rivian – that’s 15,000 more fast chargers for Rivian owners across North America. In March we’ll be adding Supercharger sites to our vehicle and app trip planner with adapter shipments to owners starting soon after. Start planning your road trips!

Old 02-29-2024, 04:02 PM

Thins that make you go Hmmm.....

Ford was Feb. Now Rivian says March. And that's the order they were listed.

Supported
Ford (FEB)

Coming Spring
Rivian (MAR)
General Motors (APR)
Volvo (MAY)
Polestar (JUN)

See how well they line up on a month by month basis to end in June?

Old 02-29-2024, 04:14 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzVbTr35RvA

Here's the first public video of the adapter Ford is sending out. The adapter's pretty small and good for Supercharging only. It's quite a long video and he only starts putting the adapter in at 9:43 or so where you can see how much slimmer the NACS plug is.
I am a fan, but boy, Kyle was really milking that It was interesting though and very reassuring to see that it all went off without a hitch - kudos to Ford and Tesla.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:26 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am a fan, but boy, Kyle was really milking that It was interesting though and very reassuring to see that it all went off without a hitch - kudos to Ford and Tesla.
Sort of...

As predicted, he's blocking two spots. This is not a win for Tesla owners.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles