Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

413 posts, read 116,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Expand upon Rivian going out of business. You know the company that just announced a major expansion and tax deal in Illinois and 3 new vehicles.
And they are selling delivery vans to Amazon and other companies, and started selling the delivery van PLATFORM to other companies, as well.

https://rivian.com/newsroom/article/...more-companies

https://www.fleetowner.com/emissions...-collaboration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

19,067 posts, read 13,995,482 times
Rivian's stock is up and they're expanding. They aren't going anywhere. Fisker on the other hand...

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

37,233 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
And they are selling delivery vans to Amazon and other companies, and started selling the delivery van PLATFORM to other companies, as well.

https://rivian.com/newsroom/article/...more-companies

https://www.fleetowner.com/emissions...-collaboration
They still have something like 90K orders out of an 100K orders from Amazon to deliver, and Amazon is their largest institutional shareholder, so yea, I don't see them going anywhere.

They also are just about to launch a refresh of their R1 vehicles (production supposedly started the end of last month), and seem to have been speeding up their public charger deployment.

With all that and the amount of cash on hand they have, they seem likely to be good for the near future as in the next few years at least.

It is a pretty volatile field though, so who knows. They do have a shareholder meeting in the next few days, and I think any details about the R1 refresh will be pretty important but it's hard to imagine them somehow completely bungling that given how solid their vehicles already are.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,201,372 times
Quote:
Rivian's stock is up and they're expanding. They aren't going anywhere. Fisker on the other hand...
Well, Rivian stock is down by over 90%.

There's not much you can read into that though. The IPO price was inflated and it was a meme stock. Reality punched the stock price in the gut but it's not really bad. Cash burn is leveling off and Rivian seems to be doing all the right things in working on their supply chain costs and developing the R2/R3 as lower priced models. They have at least five years of cash reserves to burn still and that started leveling off in 2023. Short-term they're not going anywhere. Debt is low so they haven't had any problem raising money from bonds as they did for the Georgia expansion.

Basically the stock isn't poised to shoot back up to the $120 meme town values but it's not a company on the ropes at all.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,201,372 times
Quote:
Ok this makes sense. Did you make a spelling error because in the post I quoted you wrote “inefficient” for EVs. That’s what makes the post read like trolling.
Just using my inefficient EV as an example. The numbers are better for most EVs (cars)

E.g. the Model Y down below from my post rated at 326 miles on 2.3 gallons of energy, Chevy Bolt is rated at 259 miles on 1.9 gallons. I'm pretty sure the Rolls Spectre takes the crown at least efficient at 260 miles on 3.1 gallons for cars.
That's just EVs and batteries. They're efficient but you do need that big, expensive battery that only stores 2-3 gallons of energy. Efficiency plays a much more pivotal role in EVs as the designs are very constrained by energy storage versus just putting in a bigger gas tank.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

5,879 posts, read 4,192,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'll try to make a short version of this.

Though batteries now and in the recent past are much cheaper than they used to be, they currently are still quite expensive and were even more expensive when most of these electric trucks first debuted. The more battery capacity you have, generally the more range you have, the more power it can output (so you can have enough power to send to more powerful motors for things like towing and high payloads), and the faster max charging rate it can have. Added to this, the front cross-sectional area and the more accepted design for full-sized trucks takes a massive penalty for aerodynamic drag necessitating even more capacity for every bit of range and power. Therefore, to get to the minimum amount of range that a large portion of truck buyers would be enticed by requires a lot of battery capacity and therefore a high initial price.

While power available from the battery, like range, also increases with battery capacity, those increases go well past the minimum requirement of most truck buyers and upping the power level of motors is pretty inexpensive so they might as well put motors that can take something close to the max output level of the motors.

So now you have a quite expensive, high battery capacity truck that has somewhat decent range and an excess of power. Where does that place you in pricing compared to the ICE competition? That price of production and the power output puts you in the territory of things like Ford Raptor and Ram TRX. So you try to do what you do with the electric trucks what you'd do with these higher end performance trims which you ladle it with a lot of technological doohickies in order to make it fit better with the premium price and massive power output that you had to do anyways because you needed a large battery pack to get to at least minimally acceptable range for a full-size pickup.
Very good explanation....thank you.

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

5,879 posts, read 4,192,409 times
Quote:
Rivian's stock is down 41% for the year and about 92% since the IPO. It's slightly higher than it's all-time low, so I guess that's a good thing....but that all-time low happened a few weeks ago.

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,006,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Rivian's stock is down 41% for the year and about 92% since the IPO. It's slightly higher than it's all-time low, so I guess that's a good thing....but that all-time low happened a few weeks ago.
Stock price isn't what keeps a company alive. Growth and (eventually) profit does that. Rician seems to have a solid growth plan, and a decent amount of capitol to continue to expand their offerings. It's not a guarantee, but I do think they have a very decent chance of making it long-term, as they are concentrating on filling niches (local delivery vans, Subaru-like SUVs) that are currently not well served in the EV market.

That's why I picked up 90 shares of their stock over the past week, and plan to keep buying more. I see some promise there!

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

19,067 posts, read 13,995,482 times
Yes sorry, i meant recently. I bought low also.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles