Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times

Advertisements

If i'm going to the movies popcorn and coke are all part of the ambiance, however i think the stuff is way overpriced..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
I don't usually eat the movie theater food. But I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER sneak outside food in to the theater. I HATE people who do this and always tell movie theater security to remove them. Signs are all over the place saying "NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK" so people should abide by their rules.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:56 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Buying snacks at the movie theater seems to be one of those things that people either do, or don't (and those who don't can get quite heated about it, like the guy who tried to sue a theater)

I've been with friends that refused to buy snacks and instead sneaked in food from the outside. I can understand those who refuse to buy anything, since the cost of drinks and snacks have huge markups.

Myself, I don't mind buying the soda and popcorn. To me it's part of the movie going experience, and I don't begrudge theater owners from trying to make money. After all, no one's forcing me to buy anything at the theater besides the admission ticket.

What Does a Trip to the Movies Really Cost You? - ABC News

Why Does Movie-Theater Popcorn, Soda, Candy Cost So Much? | TIME.com
I prefer the Drive in theaters since they're outdoors and you have a sound system that YOU can control! I'll start going to the indoor theater again when they install PAUSE buttons, and get rid of all those noisy people in front of me!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
I went to the movies twice about a week and half ago while on vacation, due to bad weather. The first time I didn't buy anything because I went to a matinee right after lunch. The ticket was only $5. I went at night the other time. I didn't have time for dinner so I got a hot dog and a Vitamin water for a cost of about $10, on top of the $11 ticket. I almost never go to the movies when I'm home.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I don't usually eat the movie theater food. But I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER sneak outside food in to the theater. I HATE people who do this and always tell movie theater security to remove them. Signs are all over the place saying "NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK" so people should abide by their rules.
Why? It's none of your business what he/she is doing. After all, the person isn't interfering with your viewing of the movie like someone with a constantly ringing cell phone or a crying baby would be. I sneak water, and rarely a candy into a movie. I'm not going to pay $5 for a water and/or candy that would cost $1.50 everywhere else. The theater should charge market value or slightly above, not three times as much, if they expect me to buy their stuff. What I'm doing isn't theft since I paid for both my ticket, and the water. You must be loads of fun as a movie companion

Old 05-26-2014, 01:57 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why? It's none of your business what he/she is doing. After all, the person isn't interfering with your viewing of the movie like someone with a constantly ringing cell phone or a crying baby would be. I sneak water, and rarely a candy into a movie. I'm not going to pay $5 for a water and/or candy that would cost $1.50 everywhere else. The theater should charge market value or slightly above, not three times as much, if they expect me to buy their stuff. What I'm doing isn't theft since I paid for both my ticket, and the water. You must be loads of fun as a movie companion
I agree. I'll buy a drink at the theater, but I can and do buy the same EXACT "movie theater box" of candy at Walgreens (that's next door to the theater) for $1 versus the $4.50 that the theater charges.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:58 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
I sometimes buy popcorn and diet soda for the movie, but every time I do, I feel queasy afterwards, and tell my husband, "Remind me not to do that next time!"

I almost always have healthy snacks (almonds, whole-grain crackers, small bottled water) in my purse, so that when I am out running errands and hunger pangs kick in, I'm not tempted to buy fast food or a candy bar. I'm not going to remove those items from my purse just because I'm going to a movie. And yes, I might even eat some of it during the movie. My dirty secret is out.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:07 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You'd hate the Edwards theater where I live. They have the same sign, but sorry, I'm not paying $5.25 for a bottle of water. I've been going for a couple of years and take in my own water from outside. I don't try to hide it, I just walk in carrying the bottle. I go once a month and I've never been stopped.

I don't eat anything and can't stand the smell of popcorn. I had to move once because someone sat next to me with a big tub of popcorn and the smell was terrible.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
I now attend one of those "upscale" movie theaters where they have restaurant quality food. You can get a meal comparable to something you'd get in a casual dining restaurant like Applebees or TGI Friday. It's great if you after work and can get a real dinner and a movie. Fun times.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times
I never buy food at the movie theater. The prices are insane and I don't get the whole thing of people just having to have a huge bucket of popcorn and a 64 ounce soda to watch a movie!!!! You can't go for 2 hours without eating?? And just how does popcorn add to the experience of watching a movie???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts