Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times

Advertisements

When I was kid yes but as an adult no. I have used free coupons or points earned for frequent patronage for popcorn and occasionally a soda if my wife wants one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why? It's none of your business what he/she is doing. After all, the person isn't interfering with your viewing of the movie like someone with a constantly ringing cell phone or a crying baby would be.
It DOES interfere with my viewing of the movie if they bring in smelly a$$ kimchee, fried chicken, fried battered shrimp, or they are cracking sunflower seeds. If the sign says "PLEASE NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK" people should not be stupid ignorant a$$es and bring in outside food or drink. Its more than just a common courtesy thing. People should have some respect for not only themselves, but respect the business establishment's rules.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:47 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We don't go to the movies much anymore due to the cost. I too like to have popcorn and a soda as a part of the movie going experience but when it costs as much for a small soda and popcorn as it does for a ticket that is not good.
We do like to go to the local Drive In theatre where we can bring our own snacks and 2 first run movies cost $9 per person. We have brought Chinese food, pizza and big ol bags of home popped corn.

Snacks is where movie theaters make their money.
You still have driveins? We have none here in Delaware. I would love to o back to a drive in movie.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:02 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,517 times
@The OP: Usually not, due to the fact that it appears to be too expensive.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:07 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
I don't go to the movies a lot, but when I do, I definitely buy the largest tub of popcorn and the largest Cherry Coke I can get. Yes this costs just as much as the ticket or possibly more during a matinee, but to me, it is part of the experience. I could have just eaten and I will find a way to stuff some popcorn down my throat.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:22 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,930 times
I'm traditional with the movies. A water and popcorn, maybe a candy or something. But none of this nachos, hot dog, pizza garbage...yuck.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:55 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
A friend and I go to the movies every so often and usually enjoy a meal beforehand. When I occasionally want to splurge for a place a bit more upscale, he complains that it would be "too expensive." But then he always plops down ~$12 for a soda and popcorn. Meanwhile, I'm full and content from my meal.

I've started conceding to buying the $4 bottled water, though. Gulping down free water at the fountain before getting dry mouth halfway through the movie isn't cutting it anymore for me.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:31 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
It DOES interfere with my viewing of the movie if they bring in smelly a$$ kimchee, fried chicken, fried battered shrimp, or they are cracking sunflower seeds. If the sign says "PLEASE NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK" people should not be stupid ignorant a$$es and bring in outside food or drink. Its more than just a common courtesy thing. People should have some respect for not only themselves, but respect the business establishment's rules.
I can honestly say I've never seen anyone bring in kimchee or fried chicken into a theater. That would be pretty difficult to smuggle in. Just where do you go that people bring in these types of food?

Do you use your cell phone in the theater?

Old 05-27-2014, 05:38 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Gulping down free water at the fountain before getting dry mouth halfway through the movie isn't cutting it anymore for me.
Why not?

Also, can't you try bringing your own water bottle from home?

Old 05-27-2014, 05:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Buying snacks at the movie theater seems to be one of those things that people either do, or don't (and those who don't can get quite heated about it, like the guy who tried to sue a theater)

I've been with friends that refused to buy snacks and instead sneaked in food from the outside. I can understand those who refuse to buy anything, since the cost of drinks and snacks have huge markups.

Myself, I don't mind buying the soda and popcorn. To me it's part of the movie going experience, and I don't begrudge theater owners from trying to make money. After all, no one's forcing me to buy anything at the theater besides the admission ticket.

What Does a Trip to the Movies Really Cost You? - ABC News

Why Does Movie-Theater Popcorn, Soda, Candy Cost So Much? | TIME.com
Since I go to a movie at a theatre about once every 12 years or so, I don't have a problem splurging when I do. The buttered popcorn is the bomb.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts