Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:53 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times

Advertisements

No. Rarely go anymore. Can live a couple hours without snacks.

Now theatres that serve beer or drinks, hell yeah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times
Never. It's too pricey (I'd rather eat real food afterwards), rarely good (chemical cheese or chemical laden butter substitute on popcorn don't sound like healthy choices) & I'm the clumsiest person I know (& in the dark, I'm worse)... I must admit there have been 2 occasions years ago, in which I dumped an entire large drink, which flooded the floor of the person directly in front of me... poor, sticky soled lads.

Also, whilst not at the theatre, I have had several bad experiences eating in the dark as a kid, with unmentionable inedibles being found in my food. I won't go into detail, but, I need to see what I'm ingesting. Romantic dining? No!! Turn up the lights!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Why not?

Also, can't you try bringing your own water bottle from home?
This thread is making me curious....I wonder if ANY business can legally prevent a person from bringing in their own water bottle. I mean, it's kinda like oxygen....a basic life necessity. I've known numerous people with various medical conditions that require them to have water at hand at all times. It seems that good ol' H2O should be allowed anywhere.

Off to google I go.....

Old 05-27-2014, 09:33 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
This thread is making me curious....I wonder if ANY business can legally prevent a person from bringing in their own water bottle. I mean, it's kinda like oxygen....a basic life necessity. I've known numerous people with various medical conditions that require them to have water at hand at all times. It seems that good ol' H2O should be allowed anywhere.

Off to google I go.....
You might have a point. As I said earlier, instead of buying the $5.25 bottle of theater water, I bring in the 29 cent trader joes bottle. I carry it out in the open, I don't try to hide it and they have never stopped me.

Let us know what you find.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
if you don't want to bring outside food into a theater, then don't. But don't be a freaking RAT because you see someone else with a $1 box of candy or a bottle of water. Mind your own freaking business!!!!
Society in general is everyone's business. If scum like the people you mention exist, why should they be allowed to break the law (assuming that the theater has a sign saying no outside food).

Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,627,751 times
Years ago I was an usher at a theatre, one of many jobs I had that lasted less than a week, and I remember walking down to the front row after the movie let out and thinking someone mutilated an animal. There were bones every where, too many to have been a chicken, must have been an ostrich.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:53 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Society in general is everyone's business. If scum like the people you mention exist, why should they be allowed to break the law (assuming that the theater has a sign saying no outside food).
It is not "breaking the law." It is not illegal to disobey a sign in a movie theater. You may consider it unethical, but it is not illegal.

Now, if the theater owner asks a person to leave for disobeying the sign, and that person refuses, then it could be considered a trespassing issue, which could be determined to be "breaking the law."

Old 05-28-2014, 12:07 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
A visit to the movies is not complete without buying a buttered popcorn and soda at the concession (confession: sometimes I sneak a can of soda into the movies; I have to wait for loud screen sounds to pop open the can). The buttered popcorn is expensive enough at six bucks almost (for a decent size) and sometimes the soda adds another 5 bucks - eleven bucks for a popcorn and soda, not counting the entrance fee. I know that theaters make most of their money from their in-house concession stands, but if you buy something at the stand, can't they cut us a break on allowing a drink from home? Otherwise, it would be foolish to spend money on stuff that has been marked-up several hundred (?) percent - best just to stay home make our own buttered popcorn and get drinks from the fridge, plus better and cleaner bathrooms.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:11 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
to me,

the prices are offensive

I refuse to buy a 5.00 popcorn or 4.00 water

I use to take my son to movies yrs ago, but we would eat before we go, or bring a can of soda with us
when leaving, they gave us a survey from the movie-theater - they wanted to know how often we came to see a movie, and how often we rented a video
I filled it out- and got a call a few days later- I told them with the prices they charge, they are skimming, and I have no problem stop going and to rent movies, - its not like im supporting my local theater, because the way you are pricing these items you are saying f-you

if a 12 oz water costs them say 30 cents, why not go a dollar or a 1.50?? why 4.00??
because most folks will stop buying altogether as I have, and im teaching my son, just to rent videos,,,,not such a treat going to the "movies"

Old 05-28-2014, 04:15 AM

639 posts, read 678,560 times
No I don't..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts