Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2022, 05:29 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
But they're happy to blow civilian homes/people to kingdom come..........
Yes unfortunately as in the case with most wars, many civilians get killed at the expense of winning a war. And it’s clear that Russia is getting frustrated with Ukrainian resistance since they assumed they would give up easily like the US propped Afghanistan, so now they are changing gears and sadly bombing civilian areas. This is why I personally disagree with all offensive wars because things tend to not go to plan and things get ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 07:20 PM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If Ukraine thought it could do without America, why did its President beg, cajole and reprimand Congress to set up a no-fly zone and send heavier arms, planes, etc.? It would be great if Ukraine could do without the US. There would be less concern about WWIII being triggered, if that were the case.
I think Ukraine thought it could manipulate the West into WWIII. No biggie!

Zelensky is is appealing to the Catholic Pope Francis.

It is kind of funny. After 1991, Ukraine refused to return the historical Polish Catholic church back to Polish Catholics. These historical churches were given to the Orthodox Church instead.

It is also kind of odd because . . .

67.3% are Orthodox Christianity
7.7% Christian with no declared denominational affiliation
9.4% Ukrainian Byzantine Rite Catholic
2.2% Protestants
0.8% Latin Rite Catholics - (Rome Catholic)
2.5% Islam
Judaism was 0.4%

So why not appeal to biggest church - Orthodox Christianity?

Quote:
Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken met with His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I today in Washington, DC. They discussed the U.S. commitment to supporting religious freedom around the world and opportunities to work with the Orthodox Christian community worldwide on issues of shared concern, as well as with religious minorities in Turkey and the region. Secretary Blinken reaffirmed that the reopening of the Halki Seminary remains a continued priority for the Biden Administration. They also discussed the imperative of urgently addressing the climate crisis.
https://www.state.gov/secretary-blin...h-bartholomew/

Quote:
he January 6th announcement of autocephaly for an independent Orthodox Church of Ukraine marks a historic achievement as Ukraine seeks to chart its own future. On this momentous occasion, the United States reiterates its unwavering support for a sovereign, independent Ukraine.
https://risu.ua/en/us-state-departme...o-tomos_n95689

So why did the State Department felt compelled celebrate the split between Ukraine and the Russia Orthodox Churches. You gotta wonder about it. Did Mike Pompeo have similar announcements on Sunni vs. Shia or Lutheranism vs. Methodism?

So the USA encouraging a schism in Orthodox Churches was just another way to **** off President Putin?

Quote:
Russian foreign minister injects religious dimension of Ukrainian issue

The U.S.A. "immediately had a hand" in the current crisis in Orthodoxy, the head of the MID [Ministry of Foreign Affairs] of Russia thinks.

Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergei Lavrov considers that the U.S.A. has a direct part in the crisis in Orthodoxy. He declared this at his press conference on Friday, 14 January.

"The United States of America had an immediate hand in the current crisis in Orthodoxy. They created a special mechanism, a special agency for the freedom of religious confession, which actually is not dealing with freedom but most actively set up and financed Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew so that he conducted a device for schism, particularly in Ukraine, in the first place, for creating there the schismatic, uncanonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine," he declared.

The diplomat said that the policy of the U.S.A. caused "the most serious dispute in the entire Orthodox world."
https://www2.stetson.edu/religious-news/220114b.html

Because it would seem to me, Zelensky would first ask the biggest church in his country for help before the Catholic's Pope Francis. Maybe he'll try the Dalai Lama next?

Old 03-22-2022, 07:52 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
But they're happy to blow civilian homes/people to kingdom come..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Yes unfortunately as in the case with most wars, many civilians get killed at the expense of winning a war. And it’s clear that Russia is getting frustrated with Ukrainian resistance since they assumed they would give up easily like the US propped Afghanistan, so now they are changing gears and sadly bombing civilian areas. This is why I personally disagree with all offensive wars because things tend to not go to plan and things get ugly.
Are they targeting civilians? Are Ukrainian fighters hiding among civilians?

Old 03-22-2022, 07:56 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,674 times
I remember the very beginning, when it was clear Russia was invading. I was sitting at the computer and thinking to myself: There's people there alive just like I am alive, but will die in the near future. Sobering.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:59 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,384,055 times
I've been seeing news / posts that Ukraine is putting up a hell of the fight and is starting to take back several suburbs NW of Kyiv and is also working to take back the cities of Mykolaiv and Kherson in southern Ukraine. There's a chance they could cut off Russian forces NW of Kyiv from supply lines to the north. Great news if true.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:03 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
Ukrainian courage on display. But without more help, they won't last long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpX6_B8ArE

Old 03-22-2022, 10:15 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,384,055 times
High morale in Odesa. Here you have people fighting for freedom and the right to live, while Russian soldiers fight in a criminal, unjust war and continue to lose ground and defect. These people may be outmatched, but they have the spirit to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlWKrxLBsss

Last edited by mustang84; 03-22-2022 at 10:27 PM..

Old 03-23-2022, 08:51 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
High morale in Odesa.

Lol best video I've seen in a while esp. the drunk guy with the red shirt, he's already won it (while others are loading the truck).

Old 03-23-2022, 09:03 AM

27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Latest News - No more KitKat's for Russia.

Nestle pulls KitKat and Nesquik out of Russia - BBC News

Old 03-23-2022, 12:42 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
A local resident of Izum (a city somewhere around Kharkiv) braves shelling to film destruction and death Russian nazis unleashed on his city.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1506689328285732865

And this is Mariupol today.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1506698855022219268

Last edited by RememberMee; 03-23-2022 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe