Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 08:36 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times

Advertisements

What will be the consequences or will NATO just let it happen like they did with Crimea to prevent WW3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 09:06 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Russian banks will be blacklisted and Russia will be suspended from SWIFT. Ruble will free fall like Lira and Russia will be even poorer than it is.

Putin would probably remain in power though. Russians are used to being royally ****ed over by their ruling class.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:14 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What will be the consequences or will NATO just let it happen like they did with Crimea to prevent WW3?

Most likely the story will repeat as always: the west will get their ass kicked, just ask Napoleon and Hitler. Russia cannot be defeated in a war or to be more specific: it cannot be defeated in a war that it knows it can't loose. One thing is to loose in Afghanistan, another to loose ww1, ww2 or Ukraine. Ukraine is seen as a historical part of Russia, no one buys western propaganda that "all the white eastern europeans are against the black russians"...well they aren't lol, I'm not even sure what cnn are on anymore.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:37 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Russian banks will be blacklisted and Russia will be suspended from SWIFT. Ruble will free fall like Lira and Russia will be even poorer than it is.

Putin would probably remain in power though. Russians are used to being royally ****ed over by their ruling class.
Looks like I have some catching up to do on news. Please fill me in. Since when are Russian banks taken seriously by international banks? Since when has the ruble been regarded as having any value at all outside of Russia, other than possibly, maybe by some of its immediate neighbors? Ruble will "free fall"? From where, and how did it get where it is, wherever that is? This idea that the ruble is a monetary unit to be taken seriously is new to me. Forgive me for being behind the times. If I've missed out on important info, I'd like to know. Truly.

Putin would catch serious flack from the Russian public for having dragged Russia into a war. His main propaganda tool, a film showing a fake atrocity perpetrated on Russian residents of Ukraine by Ukrainian military, was outed in advance by the US, so he doesn't really have a justifiable reason (other than historical claims) for invading a foreign country.

He would survive the flack in his usual style, but people wouldn't forget. And sure, there would always be those who support him.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:52 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Most likely the story will repeat as always: the west will get their ass kicked, just ask Napoleon and Hitler. Russia cannot be defeated in a war or to be more specific: it cannot be defeated in a war that it knows it can't loose. One thing is to loose in Afghanistan, another to loose ww1, ww2 or Ukraine. Ukraine is seen as a historical part of Russia, no one buys western propaganda that "all the white eastern europeans are against the black russians"...well they aren't lol, I'm not even sure what cnn are on anymore.
It doesn't matter that Ukraine was historically part of Russia. It's been an independent country since the end of WWII, whose status was created as such by Russia itself, in negotiations with the West.

The American Southwest historically was part of Mexico. You don't see Mexico trying to take it back.

Kosovo was part of Yugoslavia or Serbia. You don't see Serbia trying to take it back. Or who knows, maybe someday we will see that.

Norway used to be part of Denmark.

Mongolia for awhile was part of China, and China, along with most of the rest of Asia and part of Europe, historically was part of an expanded Mongolia.

"Northern Manchuria" (Russia's Primorskii Krai and Khabarovskii Krai) used to be part of China. Should China try to take it back? Why not, if Russia can take Ukraine back?

Where does the "oops, we changed our mind. We want our former territory back" end?

Old 02-17-2022, 12:06 PM

^ Just look at my last post in the europe forum. Has anyone asked if Ukraine or any other eastern european want to be part of Nato? No, they get "joined" aka - invaded by the west. Most invasions are under the excuse of "protection" like protection racketeering or whatever. Just because Russia sees it as something doesn't mean Ukraine wants the total opposite. Most people in eastern europe actually prefer not to be in nato, well the ones who use their brain anyway.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:22 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Blame your own leaders, not NATO.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:07 PM

^ I never said the politicians in eastern europe are ideal and far from corrupt, and like I mentioned before your sources aren't the eternal truth either. On another note if I am not mistaken the current president of Ukraine is a tv show comedian...literally.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:34 PM

1,503 posts, read 606,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It doesn't matter that Ukraine was historically part of Russia. It's been an independent country since the end of WWII, whose status was created as such by Russia itself, in negotiations with the West.
Did you completely skipped history lessons or is it what they teach in the West now?

Old 02-17-2022, 05:01 PM

928 posts, read 498,830 times
I don't understand why the Russian people wouldn't have a revolution and overthrow the government unless they're just that brainwashed. Ukrainians favor being a part of NATO, as in theory NATO protects them from something like this, as it's trying to do now. NATO is supposed to be about keeping the peace. Ukrainian civilians are prepared to fight, not just the military. This won't be as easy as Crimea was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe