Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
The one expense every month larger than all others combined: taxes.
Please spare us your bugaboos. Every single penny collected in taxes gets turned around and spent in the private sector, employing people who are consumers who buy things to grow the economy, support your job, and put food on your table.

Taxes are the one thing that is NOT a rip-off, because your tax dollars are they only dollars that you pay that no part of goes directly into the personal investment portfolio of a rich corporate tycoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Please spare us your bugaboos. Every single penny collected in taxes gets turned around and spent in the private sector, employing people who are consumers who buy things to grow the economy, support your job, and put food on your table.

Taxes are the one thing that is NOT a rip-off, because your tax dollars are they only dollars that you pay that no part of goes directly into the personal investment portfolio of a rich corporate tycoon.
So it doesn't matter how much money is taken from me? Why not just take 100%? After all, it's the one thing that's not a rip off. I'm getting great value for my money!

How about this instead? Since this is a subjective question, you have your opinion on the correct amount of money to be taken from each person, and I have mine. Neither one is incorrect. But I feel I'm not getting what I put in to the system, ie, I'm getting ripped off.

Or, per usual, you can continue to blast anyone who doesn't share your opinion.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I resent paying $8 for one beer at a club when I can buy an entire six-pack at the market for $9. This is also why I dislike places like Disneyland, where just eating lunch can set you back $20. $5 for one Coke?! And don't get me started on mixed drinks, which are usually served with more ice than liquid! "$12 please..." $12? For that? This is why I rarely drink when I go out.

Also, have you ever looked at your cell phone bill? Usage fees, utility tax, and on and on...

Then again, there are people who are too frugal. I know someone who returned a bottle of $2 shampoo to Wal Mart. This person has millions, and she was actually taking the trouble to return this bottle of shampoo! It boggled my mind.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
Another "rip-off" example:
If I needed something for my home electronics (TV, stereo, computer) TODAY and I'm forced to go to bestbuy for it... ripoff. I guess its just that I'm paying for the convenience. Anything from Radio Shack and BestBuy (wiring, in particular).

I bought a baby gate the other day and I needed something to mount it to the balusters on the stairs. For two pieces of plastic and a length of wood... $40. However, again, it was convenience. This guy made this little widget that would fit on nearly ANY stair baluster and is sturdy enough. If I made it myself, it would have taken time and maybe $5. But time is something I don't have. So, I guess it wasn't so much a rip-off then?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
So it doesn't matter how much money is taken from me? Why not just take 100%? After all, it's the one thing that's not a rip off. I'm getting great value for my money!

How about this instead? Since this is a subjective question, you have your opinion on the correct amount of money to be taken from each person, and I have mine. Neither one is incorrect. But I feel I'm not getting what I put in to the system, ie, I'm getting ripped off.

Or, per usual, you can continue to blast anyone who doesn't share your opinion.
I did not blast anyone, nor did I say it doesn't matter how much money is taken from you as taxes, nor did I imply that I know the correct amount that taxes ought to be.

Taxes do not exist for the purpose of giving johnnytang24 great value for his money. They exist to give everyone benefits for their money. Remember the rest of us? We live on your planet, too.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,135 times
Quote:

The government is probably the biggest rip off, actually.

You never trust your money to three types: Kids, politicians, and thieves. Why? Because they did not work to earn that money so it is easy to waste it.

I am not saying corporations may not get a higher than fair share of the money. However, to say the least, many of the people that work for corporations work to earn their money because they know that if they do not produce, no profits.

Politicians are much better at wasting and stealing money from the people. They do not have to show profits. So often the people's taxes are wasted and the people keep re-electing them over and over.

An economy is suppose to produce, the government does not produce anything. It is suppose to provide services for their constituents. They do not produce cars, houses, etc. Often when they get into car or housing business eventually end up messing things up worse than the private sector, take care.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
Quote:
I did not blast anyone, nor did I say it doesn't matter how much money is taken from you as taxes, nor did I imply that I know the correct amount that taxes ought to be.

Taxes do not exist for the purpose of giving johnnytang24 great value for his money. They exist to give everyone benefits for their money. Remember the rest of us? We live on your planet, too.
If I'm not seeing the benefit of the money I spend on taxes, how is it not a rip off -- for ME? Or put another way, I think project X is a waste of money and I think more money should be spent on project Y. A portion of my taxes go to project X.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
Those "feelings" are manipulated by marketing pros. When I took class, we studied how they use Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Hierarchy of Needs - Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

to appeal our needs and manipulate our purchasing. I like to share this as when I feel that urge, I recall the paper we wrote after watching the Super Bowl commercials and then matching them to the hierarchy theory. Next time you feel "it" stop and think about which need they are appealing to and ask yourself whether you really need it, or or is someone just playing with your head. That class, and understanding how we are manipulated has saved me a lot of money! When I want to, I decide what is important to me to spend our retirement money on, not them.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think, it is possible to be somewhere for two hours and not eating/drinking anything...
Yeah.... I know ..hehe....it's the intoxicating aroma of the freshly popped buttered pop corn that gets to me !

I can bypass the candy and the soda ( 2 out of 3 )

I realize alot of people eat dinner before they go to a movie so that would definately cut down on me wanting that yummy popcorn...

And then some people bring candy, chips, snacks ...

Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Doesn't seem fair really -- seems Sony or Paramount could either own theatres and run it themselves OR allow theatre owners to rent the movie for a price and let him make some cash off it. Sort of seems that sooner or later this way will shut down movie houses (already has killed the single movie houses) which can only negatively impact Sony and Paramount.....
The movie studios used to own the theaters, but had to divest themselves of the theaters due to antitrust issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._Pictures,_Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living