Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,705 times

Advertisements

Do you ever get this feeling when about to hand your money over? Do you ignore it?

I have noticed that there are just some things that no matter how much money I make, I would still consider it a rip-off but for one reason or another, I still hand over my money. Perhaps I don't want to be perceived as cheap or perhaps I am the sucker. Anyway, the point is that I do get this feeling and I am trying to figure out why I ignore it and how to discipline myself to listen to it. Is that where negotiation comes in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Give us an example. Do you mean when you are buying something that you could choose not to? Or when you are charged a fee for something that you have no control over?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Lightbulb Rip-Offs...

Movie Theatre Popcorn ( I buy the small or kids size )

Movie Theatre Soda ( I refuse to buy those expensive sodas )

Movie Theatre Candy ( I won't buy that either )

I could think of a ton more things but this is what I got !

Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,702 times
I get that feeling every time I'm buying concession stand items, I know exactally what you mean.
A small Popcorn is like 6 bucks or something same with the soda and the candy. I try to smuggle drinks inside with me and have been caught a few times.
I am always seduced by the popcorn though and it's always the biggest they have, I still hate paying 12 dollars for it.
But i'm going to make sure I squeeze every last drop of extra buttery goo out of them.. The theatre by me does not charge for extra.

I also get it when buying something that I want but dont really need, even if it's something for my kitchen and I'm a gadget feind.
I hate paying my cell phone bill, I dont really use it it's just for emergencys basicly.

I know the feeling you mean...

Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
TWELVE DOLLARS FOR POPCORN AT A MOVIE THEATRE????

Jeez -- makes me glad I live in a gang infested cess pool.... I haven't been to a theatre in I don't know HOW long....

BUT -- if you want to feel better about shelling that out.... it's my understanding that the ticket sales all go back to the people who put the film out. Very little goes into the theatre owner's pocket. He makes his money off the concession.

Doesn't seem fair really -- seems Sony or Paramount could either own theatres and run it themselves OR allow theatre owners to rent the movie for a price and let him make some cash off it. Sort of seems that sooner or later this way will shut down movie houses (already has killed the single movie houses) which can only negatively impact Sony and Paramount.....

Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,421 times
Haircuts. I really hate paying $30, but I'm afraid of going to the cheaper places where they change stylists as often as people change their underwear. So I splurge a bit and try to make it up in other ways, like sneaking candy into the movie theater

Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
The one expense every month larger than all others combined: taxes.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Haircuts. I really hate paying $30, but I'm afraid of going to the cheaper places where they change stylists as often as people change their underwear. So I splurge a bit and try to make it up in other ways, like sneaking candy into the movie theater
I used to go to nicer places but I never really found they did that much better of a job than the cheap places and I don't wanna pay $30 for a cappucino with my haircut.

If your a guy check out lady janes if you have one in your area...

A Business & Lifestyle Publication For Entrepreneurs & Young Professionals

I love the place, its only $12 although they often have $10 specials. I imagine like any other place hte cut varies from person to person depending on who you get.

You get a nice cut, shampoo and they use a straight razor on you as well. I think it's a bargain and way better than great clips or fantastic sams or whatever discount place you got near you.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Movie Theatre Popcorn ( I buy the small or kids size )

Movie Theatre Soda ( I refuse to buy those expensive sodas )

Movie Theatre Candy ( I won't buy that either )

I could think of a ton more things but this is what I got !
I think, it is possible to be somewhere for two hours and not eating/drinking anything...

Old 03-16-2011, 12:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
We tend to eat before the movie, and be too full for popcorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living