Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
If I'm not seeing the benefit of the money I spend on taxes, how is it not a rip off -- for ME? Or put another way, I think project X is a waste of money and I think more money should be spent on project Y. A portion of my taxes go to project X.
A democracy is a place where the people, altogether, make collective decisions about things like public expenditures of tax-generated revenues. Even if YOU get ripped off.

When you get to be dictator, you can change things. Everybody else seems to like taxes, they keep voting for candidates who continue to assess taxes. You're outnumbered, about 100,000,000 to 1.

When the government starts charging $12 for a box of popcorn, and searching you to make sure you're not sneaking a cheaper treat, maybe some people will join you, but so far, you're all alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When the government starts charging $12 for a box of popcorn, and searching you to make sure you're not sneaking a cheaper treat, maybe some people will join you, but so far, you're all alone.
Your comparison falls flat. You aren't required to purchase the popcorn at the theatre. Or the $1000 toilet seats.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Your comparison falls flat. You aren't required to purchase the popcorn at the theatre. Or the $1000 toilet seats.
The government doesn't sell $1000 toilet seats. It buys them. From the company that pays your wages.

Guess what? If you don't buy the $12 popcorn at the theater, you just reduced your taxes paid by about a buck. Nobody's forcing you to pay the sales tax, either, unless you blow all your money on taxable junk. Wanna be a tax protester? Just don't buy anything. Presto.

It's really tiresome to debate with people who were born yesterday with the starting fixation that all taxes are automatically bad by definition, which they believe because libertarians with stockpiled ammo by the ton have told them that in their blog.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-16-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Please spare us your bugaboos. Every single penny collected in taxes gets turned around and spent in the private sector, employing people who are consumers who buy things to grow the economy, support your job, and put food on your table.

Taxes are the one thing that is NOT a rip-off, because your tax dollars are they only dollars that you pay that no part of goes directly into the personal investment portfolio of a rich corporate tycoon.

Total Outlays (Federal Funds): $2,650 billion
MILITARY: 54% and $1,449 billion
NON-MILITARY: 46% and $1,210 billion

Old 03-17-2011, 12:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
I get this feeling every month when I pay my cable bill. We moved to a new state and in a semi rural area. The only cable provider is comcast which I hate. My only other option is the dish and they require you to sign a 2 yr contract. Well what if I don't like the service? Sure I can cancel but I will have to pay a termination fee which is hefty. Reminds of trying to get out of a cell phone contract. So I'm stuck with Comcast and my bill is almost double vs what I used to pay where I came from. In my hometown which was 4 times the population, we had several companies to choose from and the rates were competitive but here comcast seems to have a monopoly. I wanted to drop my house phone, we rarely use it but the house phone is part of the "bundle deal" and if I drop that, then my charges will be almost the same. How ridiculous.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Even the money that goes to the military gets recycled back into the economy. Arms contractors, high-tech research, soldiers pay and benefits, support services, etc. In 2080, paying a health benefit for an Iraq veteran, your tax dollars will still be recirculating into the wages for a nurse at the VA clinic, who will use it to buy a new pair of shoes at the mall.

Haven't you heard? That's why we do wars. The Military-Industrial Complex sees war as a trillion dollar high-profit windfall.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Haircuts. I really hate paying $30, but I'm afraid of going to the cheaper places where they change stylists as often as people change their underwear. So I splurge a bit and try to make it up in other ways, like sneaking candy into the movie theater
Yeah, but do they change their underwear as often as they change stylists?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I resent paying $8 for one beer at a club when I can buy an entire six-pack at the market for $9. This is also why I dislike places like Disneyland, where just eating lunch can set you back $20. $5 for one Coke?! And don't get me started on mixed drinks, which are usually served with more ice than liquid! "$12 please..." $12? For that? This is why I rarely drink when I go out.

Also, have you ever looked at your cell phone bill? Usage fees, utility tax, and on and on...

Then again, there are people who are too frugal. I know someone who returned a bottle of $2 shampoo to Wal Mart. This person has millions, and she was actually taking the trouble to return this bottle of shampoo! It boggled my mind.
If you're lucky enough to have a Mi Mexico restaurant in your area go have one of their margaritas in the metal shaker. That'll put some alcohol in your system!!! One of the very few places that will actually give you your money's worth.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Haircuts. I really hate paying $30, but I'm afraid of going to the cheaper places where they change stylists as often as people change their underwear. So I splurge a bit and try to make it up in other ways, like sneaking candy into the movie theater
I had a coupon for $ 5.99 for a haircut and Great Cl*ps did a great job

Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

How much was allocated for Popcorn ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living