Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM

30,347 posts, read 19,134,588 times

Advertisements

I usually tip at least $3 but if I like the stylist or if they do a really good job, I'll tip $5 or more. I agree most stylists don't make a great living so I try to be kind.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
I tip $3 on a $12 haircut. I go where it is mostly old men and I usually see them give a dollar.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:50 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
I think $3 is just fine.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
So now people who don't tip everyone are mentally ill??
Lots of jobs require schooling. That's not an excuse for demanding a tip.

From your comment above, perhaps you should re-read my post. Also, I did not state that people should "demand" a tip. I said that unless they were mentally ill (didn't know better) or very poor, then I would consider them "cheap" for not tipping at all if their service was satisfactory.

I understand you may not agree, and that is ok, but doesn't change my opinion.

Last edited by modhatter; 08-05-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
$0 - I don't tip on haircuts.
^^This! Why tip? Did the barber go above and beyond the normal hair cutting ritual?

Goes back to the beginning of who suggested tipping: Was it an employer who didn't want to pay a fair wage so decided to have customers supplement the employees' income? Or was it the employee who wanted the customer to dole out a few extra bucks?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Why in Hell would you pay $17 for a haircut? That is absurd.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
^^This! Why tip? Did the barber go above and beyond the normal hair cutting ritual?

Goes back to the beginning of who suggested tipping: Was it an employer who didn't want to pay a fair wage so decided to have customers supplement the employees' income? Or was it the employee who wanted the customer to dole out a few extra bucks?
I can't tell you the origin of every tipping job, but I suspect it was to encourage the employee to try and go above and beyond to please the customer to the best of their ability (good service) These people traditionally receive much lower base pay because the charge to the customer is too low in most cases to run a business successfully and make a profit. Therefore these employees depend on tips in order to make a halfway decent wage. Whether that is right or wrong is a matter of opinion. I just know that it encourages certain professions to try and do a good job to please the customer and the business owner to offer the service at a very reasonable cost. Also, if you know what it takes to keep a business viable with all of your expenses involved such as rent, utilities, supplies, taxes, workers comp, business insurance, etc, etc., do you really think that $10 or $12 for a haircut is enough income for a business to sustain itself? So, yes in these cases in particular, tips are necessary to stay in business and for the employees to make a wage deserving of their talent. (which still leaves them under paid in my mind unless they work in a very high end shop)

Do you balk at car mechanics that charge $90 an hour to fix your car, or an AC tech or many other professions who service you employ. So when you employ a service in a salon that only costs you $10 to $12 for a 20 or 30 minute service and they too had to go to school to learn a trade, don't you think your getting a heck of a bargain? Perhaps it might be better to raise the price of the haircut up to $20 instead, which would be more in keeping with running a business, then you would not feel so inclined to tip for receiving a good haircut. Your call which way you would like it.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why in Hell would you pay $17 for a haircut? That is absurd.
You see, this comment proves my point. People seem to feel that running a hair salon business in a retail environment should cost less than other professions. Do you feel that if you brought your computer in to be fixed and they spent 20 minutes on it, that charging you $17 would be expected? Or your bicycle in to be fixed. No, you would expect to be charged probably at least $50 at best and often times more. I just had my windshield replaced recently and watched them. Cost $160 for only 15 minutes time. Do you know how little that glass costs? And they were not located in a nice strip mall with high rent. Or how about this one, which my son just had done. Needed to have the glass replaced on his phone that he dropped and cracked. He waited while they did it (approx 15 - 20 minutes) Cost $150. What do you suppose the glass cost?

For what ever reason, and I don't know it's origin as I stated before, people expect to pay much less for receiving a haircut in a retail establishment than any other service provided, and if you want to continue getting such a bargain, then a tip for good service might be in order.

Last edited by modhatter; 08-06-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
I generally pay $12-$14 for a haircut and tip $2. I'm not young, vain or hairy-headed enough to pay $17 plus tip. Now, if they could add some length to my sparse top, $17+ would be a bargain!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
My haircuts are $19 at a small mom and pop shop. I always pay $25, so it's a $6 tip. Kinda high for a haircut, but I only get one monthly. And sometimes it pays to be generous. As I went to pay for my last haircut the barber (and shop owner) says, "$19 as usual."

And I said, "Well, here's $25 as usual." Then he asks if I need shampoo or hair spray. I asked if they had the brand I usually bought, because they didn't have it the month before. He said they quit making it, but handed me a nearly full bottle of hair spray that he still had. I thanked him. Then his wife said she had a full bottle left that I could have too. They refused to let me pay for them.

Another time he asked how long I wanted my hair, and I said, "Longer than the last time. That was too short." So he didn't charge me at all. Refused. If you're good to them, they'll usually be good to you.

But to answer the OP, $3 is fine. No shame in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.