Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:21 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
My teenage stepbrother used to say, "face and feet, pits and parts."
A long ago friend called that a "PTA" bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 02:29 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Have a bunch of bars of Irish Spring. Can't go wrong with that smell. Sometimes I go for the dollar tree body wash/body spray if I'm there.

Deodorant for me is usually Speed Stick or Gillette.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
I use Dove for Men, wife uses suave body wash. I use country club shampoo I get from a shave shop. I use Old Spice Pure Sport regular deodorant (can't use anti-p's as I'm allergic to them). This line-up of products works for me. I don't scrimp when I buy personal products. I have a beard so I don't shave.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:11 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
What are some of the products you frugalist use for your hygiene pratices...or are you a TRUE frugalist and don't use any products and just let NATURE take its course?! Do you guys/gals us deodrant? If so how much and what does it normally run you?

My go to soap is Yardley soap that I purchase from Dollar Tree. There's also a bargain store in my area that I typically get spray on deodrant from for about 1.99...typically old spice or dove.
I bathe using either Kirk's Hardwater Castile Soap (comes in a three-pack for about $2.50) or Doc Bronner's Castile Soap--the unscented bar versions. The bars last a long time in the shower, rinse cleanly, don't clog my pores and free up money for me to occasionally splurge on my favorite scented lotion from L'Occitane.

I'm a fan of the Cremo line of shaving creams. One tube lasts for months. Razors are whatever is on sale/generic. I take care of them, so they last a very long time before needing to be tossed.

For my deodorant/anti-perspirtant needs, I usually use Suave or whatever unscented version that is on sale.

I don't wash my hair everyday, so I can swing a pricier shampoo, although my go-to 'poo has been a Suave product for the past several years.

Post-adolescent people who don't use soap or at least a washcloth to slough off the dead skin *do* smell a bit off, sort of stale and vaguely musty like unwashed laundry. (I work in rather close quarters with other humans and have a very keen nose that tells me who doesn't do regular scrub downs.) Rinsing off just doesn't cut it.

"Flapper baths" are fine in a pinch such as when you're camping or have overslept one morning, but the whole body requires regular washing.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:38 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I am another one of those that doesn't use aluminum on my armpits. I FINALLY found a great deodorant that doesn't irritate - Schmidt's Jasmine Tea for sensitive skin. It's not cheap but you actually only need a small amount and it's easy to find.

I find some of the cheap body washes are very drying on my skin so I usually only use those to shave with. I make my own sugar scrub with sugar and olive oil and use it before I get out the shower - that really helps to moisturize my skin.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:57 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Doesn't bar soap last longer than body wash and is more economical?
It's cheaper, but I don't like it because it dries out my already dry skin.

I spend so little on shampoo/body wash/deodorant in a year that it really doesn't matter. I just stock up on the brand I like when it's on sale or buy it at WalMart or Grocery Outlet or some other cheap place.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:41 PM

605 posts, read 335,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
What are some of the products you frugalist use for your hygiene pratices...or are you a TRUE frugalist and don't use any products and just let NATURE take its course?! Do you guys/gals us deodrant? If so how much and what does it normally run you?
My go to soap is Yardley soap that I purchase from Dollar Tree. There's also a bargain store in my area that I typically get spray on deodrant from for about 1.99...typically old spice or dove.
There is always a ton of coupons for body wash, lots of sales and such. So I end up buying bottles and bottles for pennies (usually under a quarter). I pour them into the squirter soap containers adjacent the sink in guest bathroom. We often use the bathroom upstairs where we use quality soap (no squirter bottles)
We used to use bodywash wash dishes too but there's been enough coupons for dawn and other dish-washing soaps I just use those.
they love to push that body wash and i love it!!
We use actual expensive soap (melaleuca gold bar) when bathing, not those junky body washes. look at their chemicals, it's pretty bad stuff. I sell on ebay so buy the melaleuca gold bar with whatever proceeds I have from sales so it's not as costly to me.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:48 PM

605 posts, read 335,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I am another one of those that doesn't use aluminum on my armpits. I FINALLY found a great deodorant that doesn't irritate - Schmidt's Jasmine Tea for sensitive skin. It's not cheap but you actually only need a small amount and it's easy to find.

I find some of the cheap body washes are very drying on my skin so I usually only use those to shave with. I make my own sugar scrub with sugar and olive oil and use it before I get out the shower - that really helps to moisturize my skin.
My husband says only anti-persprants have aluminum which is intended to block poors so you don't sweat. He uses Speed Stick deodorant. Not sure if you've tried that before? Or any deodorants?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:37 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Aldi and Dollar Tree have inexpensive soaps and shampoos. Deodorant too.

The Yardley lavender soaps are nice. Personally I Use Irish spring deodorant soap but sometimes in winter I switch to Dove. I also use Dr. Bronner peppermint, lavender or eucalyptus soap and I have been using it since I was a teenager. I also use the Sal Suds for cleaning purposes. All of these choices can be economical if used correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living