Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I first cut out soap because it’s such a waste of money. Then I started showering with cold water because heating the water just adds up honestly and my hot water heater broke anyway. Finally I realized it’s so uncomfortable with the cold showers and water isn’t cheap either, I just stopped showering altogether. It also is a huge time saver!

I bet you have a lot of free time now that people have stopped socializing with you too!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I bet you have a lot of free time now that people have stopped socializing with you too!
How did you know?! See that’s another amazing aspect. My GF left me and friends keep making excuses why we should just game online and they don’t need to see me in person. It’s like suddenly all of this free time, all from a revelation about showers LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 09:43 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I generally use Ivory soap (which can be found in bulk, periodically -- I found 10 bars for $2 and stocked up), and it can be grated and used for shampoo, which I do in the summer when my hair is especially oily. I grate about 1/4 cup of soap into hot water in a wide-mouth plastic bottle and add 2 - 3 drops of tea tree oil. In the winter I use whatever I have in stock, often deeply discounted salon products from the Dollar Store or similar. Family Dollar gets salon stock periodically that didn't sell well, often due to the way it smells, which can be fixed with a few drops of lemon or coconut oil, depending.

It's worth it to stock a few bottles of essential oils -- lemon, etc., for fixing products. One only needs a few drops and a bottle can last for years.

If I'm not going to be around a bunch of people, I swap my underarms with a cotton ball soaked in alcohol (or witch hazel) several times a day. Otherwise, I watch for sales/coupons and use Kiss My Face Sport. I don't use it every day, so one stick can last about 5 months. This is an organic product, but it's worth it to me.

(The alcohol kills bacteria, which causes odor)

Ivory soap can also be grated and used for laundry, if the clothes aren't heavily soiled, like from working on cars. Borax can be added to it, but I'd use something like Tide at that point.

In the past, I made my own soaps and shampoos, but these days, it's not really cost-effective for me.

Added: I don't use body washes at all these days. Back when I could find them for $.50/bottle, I'd use them for shaving, but these days, I use Ivory soap and a good shaving brush to work up a good lather.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:47 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
How is the grating worth the trouble when there are cheap shampoos?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:42 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
How is the grating worth the trouble when there are cheap shampoos?
A lot of the cheap shampoos make my skin itch. It takes me less than 5 minutes to grate enough soap for six weeks or so. Use a box grater.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Ivory soap can also be grated and used for laundry, if the clothes aren't heavily soiled, like from working on cars.
The best thing I've found for cutting car grease from clothes is Dawn dishwashing detergent. Great for cleaning hands, too.
May not be frugal, but you don't need to use much to clear the grease.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:22 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
+1 for Yardley Soap. $1.00 and it does not dry out my skin.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:28 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Clear No Additive Palmolive Dish Soap, very gentle, cleans well, use it for bubble bath, body wash (have eczema and this is gentle enough not to bother it), hand wash and dishes. A little goes a long way and it leaves your skin very soft.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
I use Softsoap body wash and buy it in bulk when the coupons come out (get it for $1.50 for 18 oz bottle).

Mitchum (unscented) men's deodorant (again, but in bulk with coupons and get it for 99 cents)

Sometimes use arm &hammer deodorant-- inexpensive and works well.

Garnier Whole Blends shampoo (50 cents a bottle on dale and with coups-- stocked up on that too)

Only use original Tide detergent. Usually have coupons but will buy regardless

Old 08-18-2018, 05:43 PM

1,016 posts, read 307,325 times
I like Dial bar soap and have used Mennen Speed Stick for 30 years because its active ingredient is alcohol and not aluminum. I use "purple" shampoo for my gray hair and most of the time buy Jhirmack, sometimes Pantene. I just found out Walmart has its own brand and is supposed to be very good. I might try that next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living