Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times

Advertisements

I have allergies to several of the products mentioned like Tide, Ivory soap, some deodorants, etc. Cheap shampoos irritate my scalp. For us, it's better to pick something middle of the road that works and then buy in bulk when it is on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 11:56 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Ivory soap. Store brand dandruff shampoo. Don't use shaving cream, just soap - I shave in the shower, with a standard safety razor (double edge blades). My indulgence is a long hot shower especially on a cold morning.
I'm allergic to Ivory soap, it literally eats my skin off, especially my face! Unfortunately, Ivory is found in many hotels (masquerading as their own brand), hospitals, etc. I can identify it by smell and avoid it whenever possible. I always carry my own soap while travelling, usually in a soap travel dish. Its amazing the people who find it strange I bring my own soap. Its like the oddest thing they've ever heard of! I tried to "warn" a group of friends I was traveling with to be careful of the soap in their hotel rooms, because I could tell it was Ivory. They just acted like I was making something up. Well, the next day, when we all met for breakfast, they were all miserable with skin rashes. One did have the decency to at least admit to me "you were right about that soap".

My mother and grandmother both had similar reactions to Ivory. In the interest of economy, my mother bought Sweetheart soap, which is now Jergens. Rather hard to find, but still cheap, and doesn't eat your skin off!

Old 08-26-2018, 11:01 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Deodorant- Secret Gel because it actually holds it own in summer humisery season. Last spring, i found a big stash of discontinued scents on an end cap at Target for 70% off original MSRP and bought what I could find. (I actually really did like the Tahitian vanilla scent once it dried out and stopped smelling a little like booze)

Soap- I actually buy the stuff from Whole Foods that's loose/bulk bin for something like $1.50 per bar. Given how long a bar of soap lasts, I'm willing to pay a little more to get something that is all natural and smells good.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:47 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I buy the liquid SoftSoap in the 1/2 gallon jugs and decant it into small pump dispensers.

A couple of reasons. It doesn't form soap scum on the shower walls which makes cleaning a lot easier. The generic is cheaper, but I know the SoftSoap doesn't bother family allergies. I'm afraid to try another brand because it would have to be thrown away if it caused allergy problems. Not worth saving a dollar over.

Judging by how long a half gallon lasts, it's very economical. Costco puts it on sale all the time, and if you are located near a BiMart, they like to put the half gallons on sale fairly frequently for an excellent price. BiMart will have several "flavors" ( I like the aloe Vera one) and Costco only ever has the basic one, sold in a 2 bottle package.

(using it in the shower involves using wash cloths, for those of you who have only ever used bar soap)

Old 08-29-2018, 03:49 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
I always get sample in the mail as well. Lately, I've been going through all the samples I've received and it has saved me a bunch of money.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 PM

175 posts, read 366,504 times
I make soap and sell it. I use the scraps and end pieces for me, and make a profit on the rest, so my soap is cheaper than free.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:06 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I get a headache from using the wrong body wash, so it's worth spending $3 on a bottle of the one I prefer every couple of months. I also buy Secret gel deodorant even though it's expensive. It's cheaper to use good deodorant than to replace clothes because they have sweat odors that won't go away.

So I guess I'm not really frugal in this department.

I also use lotion that costs $13 for a jar, because it's the only one I'm not allergic to.
If you have a problem with sweat odors from deodorant build up again this works for me.

I spray the underarms of each piece of clothing with Shout. Then launder as usual and the smell is gone. Normal laundering does not get rid of it.
It only seems to happen in the summer.

It seems to take a few weeks for the odor to build up. I don't think it happens with only one or two uses of the offending deodorant.

Maybe using Shout when laundering every so often while using the specific deodorant that you want to use would solve the problem. That is if you prefer that brand of deodorant to others.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:47 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
I buy all my stuff at the Dollar Tree, I don't use body wash often but I keep a bottle of it in the bathroom. as far as soap I buy either Palmolive 3 pack or the The one I think is called Basic that says it's hypoallergenic. I get itchy from certain soaps. Used to have to use glycerine soap for a few years.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM

495 posts, read 327,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap. Very concentrated, mixes with water.

Amount of lather ≠ amount of cleansing.

Same here. I bought it based on recommendations after I developed issues using any other kind of mild soap on my face. It seems expensive, but you have to dilute it a lot, so I think my large bottle may last years (longer than I actually want to keep it).

As far as deodorant goes, I use Lady Speed Stick when I need something that works the best for me. It also happens to get really cheap on sale. Also Arm & Hammer--even cheaper.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:15 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Pears soap or Simple...only ones I can use and not expenisive..... Simple roll on deoderant but I hardly use it as dont sweat much..all cheap though..with no allergic reactions..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living