Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:17 PM

844 posts, read 1,446,218 times

Advertisements

What are some of the products you frugalist use for your hygiene pratices...or are you a TRUE frugalist and don't use any products and just let NATURE take its course?! Do you guys/gals us deodrant? If so how much and what does it normally run you?

My go to soap is Yardley soap that I purchase from Dollar Tree. There's also a bargain store in my area that I typically get spray on deodrant from for about 1.99...typically old spice or dove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 07:35 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,453,246 times
I use a lot of hotel soaps, so I probably save $20 year on soap LOL.

I use Tom's of Maine deodorant and I couldn't tell you how much it costs.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:10 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,302,212 times
I find body wash on clearance fairly frequently. I stock up then. I bought some body wash from the outlet mall for $.75 per bottle a couple months ago with my gift card I was given at the White Elephant Christmas party. I bought some favorite clearance things I usually won't splurge on because of price.

I found about ten bottles of my favorite deodorant on clearance a couple years back and am on the last one. It's the only kind that works for me so I'll pay full price if I don't find a sale.

I use coconut oil for moisturizer unless I find a bargain lotion in a scent I like. I think it was $8 for a huge bottle. It works well and is cheaper than lotion.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,590,708 times
I tried some sort of generic liquid soap, but it doesn't lather. To me it's worth it to have flowery smelling body wash that lathers well. I use Suave. At least it's less expensive than some other brands.

Suave deodorant is fine for the winter. But not the summer! (For me). I used to have a really awesome brand they don't make anymore. I got so many free with coupons +promos at CVS I gave many away. Wish I'd kept them now.

PS, with coupons plus promos, name brand items are cheaper than generic or free. Just more work and planning ahead.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:45 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,900,071 times
I get a headache from using the wrong body wash, so it's worth spending $3 on a bottle of the one I prefer every couple of months. I also buy Secret gel deodorant even though it's expensive. It's cheaper to use good deodorant than to replace clothes because they have sweat odors that won't go away.

So I guess I'm not really frugal in this department.

I also use lotion that costs $13 for a jar, because it's the only one I'm not allergic to.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:52 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,590,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I get a headache from using the wrong body wash, so it's worth spending $3 on a bottle of the one I prefer every couple of months. I also buy Secret gel deodorant even though it's expensive. It's cheaper to use good deodorant than to replace clothes because they have sweat odors that won't go away.

So I guess I'm not really frugal in this department.

I also use lotion that costs $13 for a jar, because it's the only one I'm not allergic to.
Not to mention BO is gross. Worth whatever it costs not to have it. For whatever reason, I need a higher aluminum content as I age. The first summer I couldn't use the kind with the lowest I was perplexed and mad! But whatever, I don't want BO.

Why won't sweat odors get out of clothes for you, though? I use ALL detergent, which I think is superior to Tide, even though it's cheaper. I'd stick with it if I won the lotto. Regular cycle, let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing (why waste detergent, not letting it sink in and do its job?) and even stains come out that used to require more expensive stain products.

Pour the correct amount of detergent into the cap. Pour that on any stains. Even dried blood. Put the rest in the washer. Let it sit before starting the cycle. Presto.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:14 AM

13,078 posts, read 7,543,778 times
Currently Yardley bar soap (dollar store) or whatever I find lying around; but sometimes I forget my gym kit and use the gym's liquid soap when I shower there. At home, I use whatever wife has. For those special hygiene regions we use a washlet bidet...does that count?

Old 08-06-2018, 12:56 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,608,481 times
Doesn't bar soap last longer than body wash and is more economical?

Old 08-06-2018, 01:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,900,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Not to mention BO is gross. Worth whatever it costs not to have it. For whatever reason, I need a higher aluminum content as I age. The first summer I couldn't use the kind with the lowest I was perplexed and mad! But whatever, I don't want BO.

Why won't sweat odors get out of clothes for you, though? I use ALL detergent, which I think is superior to Tide, even though it's cheaper. I'd stick with it if I won the lotto. Regular cycle, let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing (why waste detergent, not letting it sink in and do its job?) and even stains come out that used to require more expensive stain products.

Pour the correct amount of detergent into the cap. Pour that on any stains. Even dried blood. Put the rest in the washer. Let it sit before starting the cycle. Presto.
I can't use ALL...my kids and I are allergic to it, even the Free and Clear. But the sweat odors I had issues with were in clothes I wore when I lived at my parents' house, where we used the cheapest deodorant available and air conditioning was a luxury we had to earn. The fabrics I had trouble with were silk and rayon, especially those washed silk shirts that were popular back then. They would seem to be clean enough, but as soon as I sweated at all in them, the odor reactivated somehow.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:52 AM

10,614 posts, read 12,149,758 times
I don't like cheap soaps, and don't use cheap deodorants. So I'm not really frugal in this area. BUT, I do have a certain price point I'm not willing to exceed.

I use deodorants with no Aluminum, parabens...some with no polypropylene glycol, zinc, and other ingredients -- and they are not the cheapest brands. I get them at places as various as Walmart and Target....to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods....to independent co-ops and health food stores.

Body Soap -- I much prefer bar soap. Either it's soap from a hotel....or from a health food store or Lush Cosmetics. I think Lush is expensive. But I also think I'm worth it.

Hand Soap -- from Lush Cosmetics or Every Day Shea, or Mrs. Meyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living