Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Because I have allergies to everything chemical... I save a fortune on all these things.. I only use Pears soap, and Avalon shampoo.. thats it... apart from toothpaste thats the lot..
THAT's IT!! I knew if I read through this entire thread, someone else would love Pears!

I buy the soap bars 5 at a time from the dollar store. I don't notice a difference in Pears vs. Neutrogena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 06:19 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
If you use coconut oil in the summer, I know your very greasy and uncomfortable.
I'm not. I have very dry skin and it soaks in pretty quickly.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:13 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
I use Safeguard Soap, Mennen Speed Stick Deodorant, and Garnier Shampoo & Conditioner. I couldn't tell you what they cost, cause I don't want to cut corners on hygiene.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
I use this stuff, it works great and doesn't dry out the skin. In 32 oz bottle, made locally in AZ.

https://www.dialsoap.com/Products/Body-Wash/Hydro-Fresh

Old 08-12-2018, 02:33 AM

512 posts, read 321,412 times
Dial bar soap and Speed Stick deodorant [the basic, non-fancy type], and whatever is the store brand dandruff shampoo. Store brand dental floss, Aim or Close-Up toothpaste and Close-Up mouthwash. It's not hard to find great deals on all of those. That's it. No body washes, or lotions/creams/moisturizers and no other hair crap beyond shampoo (I pretty much keep my hair buzzed using clippers mysefl). No perfumes or colognes for me either (which I truly think are pointless and unnecessary). I try to keep it as low maintenance as possible without sacrificing 'basic' hygiene.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
A couple of years ago, I discovered that the expensive shampoo & conditioner my family loves could be purchased at tremendous discount from either Amazon or a beauty supply store in gallon containers, so that's what we do now. A gallon lasts more than a year even with all of us using it daily. I'm going to guess that body soap, either bar or liquid, can also be purchased in large quantities at a discount, so you might want to check it out.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 PM

844 posts, read 1,442,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't like cheap soaps, and don't use cheap deodorants. So I'm not really frugal in this area. BUT, I do have a certain price point I'm not willing to exceed.

I use deodorants with no Aluminum, parabens...some with no polypropylene glycol, zinc, and other ingredients -- and they are not the cheapest brands. I get them at places as various as Walmart and Target....to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods....to independent co-ops and health food stores.

Body Soap -- I much prefer bar soap. Either it's soap from a hotel....or from a health food store or Lush Cosmetics. I think Lush is expensive. But I also think I'm worth it.

Hand Soap -- from Lush Cosmetics or Every Day Shea, or Mrs. Meyers.

selhars you just exposed yourself as not being a true frugalist, your no longer apart of the group!!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:21 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
What are some of the products you frugalist use for your hygiene pratices...or are you a TRUE frugalist and don't use any products and just let NATURE take its course?! Do you guys/gals us deodrant? If so how much and what does it normally run you?

>>>>My go to soap is Yardley soap that I purchase from Dollar Tree.<<<<

There's also a bargain store in my area that I typically get spray on deodrant from for about 1.99...typically old spice or dove.
>>>>that is my go to soap, from the same place, but in also buy dollar,trees dial basics soap 3 packs from dollar tree too. I alternate them. Dial basics is gentle, but still I lije the rich later of Yardley s cocao butter or oat meal soaps as,well. It's a bigger bar. But dial lasts a while too in the 3 pack.

I also buy shampoo in the BIG bottles from DT . I don't care as long as it cleans. I don't have that much left anyway.

I buy only speed stick antiperspirant, which dollar tree carries, but only in a medium sized container. I don't care what it costs, I want to be DRY. I'll pay any (reasonable) price for it. I will also buy degree if i can get a two Pac deal at WallyWorld. Thise are the only two I use of those.

They say only certain ingredients in soap or antiperspirant do the job, all else is just additives they charge exorbitant prices for. So as long as it cleans or keeps me dry, I'll get whatever comes in the biggest container for the least amount of money.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:29 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
I think Dove bodywash might be cheaper than suave. I found an old bottle I didn't remember I had and it seems like I used less and got more lather from it. Softer skin too.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:19 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
I first cut out soap because it’s such a waste of money. Then I started showering with cold water because heating the water just adds up honestly and my hot water heater broke anyway. Finally I realized it’s so uncomfortable with the cold showers and water isn’t cheap either, I just stopped showering altogether. It also is a huge time saver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living