Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 05:31 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Honolulu for the last three winters, I haven't had to turn on the heat thankfully

I'm now back on the east coast, and I turned it on this morning as I woke up to a 66 degrees house. My cat was huddling next to me for some body warmth, so I knew I had to turn the heat up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 01:51 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
I turn on the heat whenever my house is uncomfortably cold, and I turn on the air conditioning when it is uncomfortably hot.

Life is too short to spend it shivering or sweltering.
This.

Although we try to use hear sparingly, and although my OH gets cold before I do, and wears more than I, when it gets cold (as in below 50 outside, the heat comes on.

My OH keeps going up to 70, I keep turning it back to 65, then drop to 60 during the night as my OH goes to bed early.

We fight over the settings, but it is what it is.

Same with a/c we turn it on when the room comes up 74, keep the a/c set so it keeps the room at 65-68.

Heat seems to work for both of us when it's at 68.

So I guess 68, heat or a/c is our sweet spot.

We have a small electric heater in the bathroom, as we don't mind being nekkid, don't mind being wet, but neither of us wants to be COLD, wet and nekkid.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:13 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
The main question is, why are you suffering with electric heat in the northeast? Do you rent or own?

I rent and heat is included in the rent, so I put it on when I am cold. I keep the downstairs around 70, upstairs at 65, turn it up a bit in the morning so it is warmer when I step out of the shower. Then it goes back down to 65 for the rest of the day.

Lived for many years with only wood heat, I get very depressed being cold.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
When the toilets freeze.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:24 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just turned off the AC a few days ago. The heat is set to 67 and it has been unusually cold here, so the heat has come on most nights. It tends to warm up to the 70s during the day.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I turned the upstairs thermostat from 60 to 67 last night.

Downstairs,Zone 2 just always stays on. It is set at 64. there is really no harm in leaving it there. Zone 1 I turned on when the office became noticeably chilly. The birds live in there and cannot get chilled. Probably six weeks ago.

Zone 4 in the basement is controlled by my daughter. Not sure where she has it set, I should go look. It does nto matter much since it is naturally 50 some degrees down there all the time.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:26 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
I put another log in the wood burner when needed. Then i drink a little wine & watch the flames...

Old 11-12-2019, 05:36 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Here in the SF Bay Area, I haven't needed to turn it on yet.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:34 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
When the toilets freeze.
That's because you don't have to sit all of the time.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's because you don't have to sit all of the time.
oh... but a rule in our house applied to all males... I learned from a divorced friend whose wife had had enough of the 'misses'.

SIT unless there is a proper utensil for standing. (A tree will suffice in my case)

When DW arrived in my 1916 home W/ added bathroom to end of house, not heated... 624 SF (entire house), plenty of room (I had thought...) Gas bill in Colorado $8.43 in REALLY cold months (pre-spouse / cooking range / heat in Bathroom).

Day 1, 1st attempt to use shower..."Ouch, I think my feet are frozen to the cast iron tub."
Day 3... "Hey, the toilet bowl is frozen solid"
Day 4 (and for next 40+ yrs) things have improved for her (a little).

When my SIL from Hawaii visited in the winter (once!!!)
She stood on the toilet for days reaching up for the ceiling heater. (I should have had her cover the increased Electric Bill!)

I can't risk losing my 'frugal image',

but it was a real adjustment to buy and install a cooking range. I had gotten by for over 12 yrs just fine with a camp stove and microwave.

There is no way I'm installing the Heated Toilet seats we had in Japan.

Kids (and DW) had to deal with me installing a $0.25 coin machine on the hot water in bathroom (like campgrounds). 5 min shower is much too long. 2 min max.

$1 / hr to watch PBS
$2 / hr for network TV

within a month there was no longer a need for TV.

kids: "What??? all my friends have a TV for playing Nintendo".
Me: "Guess you will need to find some new friends!"

DS: "How will I watch Hallmark Christmas Movies?"
Me... "Let me save you 2 hrs... I'll tell you the ending" (More free time for chopping firewood (so I don't have to turn on the furnace!))

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-12-2019 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living