Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 09:43 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times

Advertisements

When The outside temperature is around 45 degrees F. Thermostat is set for 65 degrees F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 07:12 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
When we get cold. Duh.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:42 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
When we get cold. Duh.
So you do not try to be conservative at all then? Just willy-nilly turn on the heat because you are cold? Which is fine, anyone can do whatever they want, but this is the frugal living forum.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:50 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
I live in central FL, in a condominium. It's rare for the temperature inside my condo to dip below 70 degrees, but if it does, that's when I turn on the heat.

That hasn't happened since last January, but it looks like it may be necessary early next week. The low is forecast to be about 40 degrees on Monday.

I'm not complaining. I like the cold weather.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:20 AM

5,951 posts, read 2,871,799 times
My heat is off from July 5th to July 20th we will have a fire in the fireplace or wood stove in the lobby. Visitors in the remote cabins never turn off the heat..The warmest its ever been here in more than forty years is 84 back in the 1970s.

Last edited by ben young; 11-27-2019 at 08:36 AM..

Old 11-27-2019, 09:02 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
So you do not try to be conservative at all then? Just willy-nilly turn on the heat because you are cold? Which is fine, anyone can do whatever they want, but this is the frugal living forum.

It's not really being frugal to sit in a cold house and possibly damage your health. One trip to the doctor cost enough to pay for a couple of months of home heat. Frugal is sitting in a 65 degree house with the heat on and possibly wearing a sweater instead of setting the heat at 85.

If you have to sit in a 45 degree house risking respiratory infection because you can't afford heat, that is poverty, not being frugal.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:11 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
There's a large range of climates across the posts in this thread, so I'm not surprised at the difference in opinions.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:20 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not really being frugal to sit in a cold house and possibly damage your health. One trip to the doctor cost enough to pay for a couple of months of home heat. Frugal is sitting in a 65 degree house with the heat on and possibly wearing a sweater instead of setting the heat at 85.

If you have to sit in a 45 degree house risking respiratory infection because you can't afford heat, that is poverty, not being frugal.
Well, of course there is a difference between being frugal and being completely unreasonable.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:33 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,564 times
I live in a SRO room and the utilities are included in the rent so I bought a small space heater a few weeks ago and have been running it off and on ever since. Its on a low setting right now but when it dips into the 50's, I set it on high. I tend to run cold.

My neighbor upstairs was running 3 fans! and finally told me last week that she was going to turn them off because she was getting too cold. How about closing your window Barb?

Old 11-27-2019, 10:00 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
I've heated with wood for most of my adult life. Where I lived the last 30 years, usually have to start building small fires in morning by late October. Letting them go out as sun warms things up. Guessing size of those small fires probably most challenging time of year so I am not having to open all windows to keep temp down by afternoon. Once you get real winter, its just matter of making sure there is wood in the stove and fire goes constant.

I used to have a kerosene heater I used to take chill off on those fall days and spring days. But I was married back then to first wife and she loaned it to couple women she didnt really know with all kinds of promises they would return it as they just needed it temporarily. No surprise, they didnt. I didnt replace it cause price of K-1 started going insane and got impossible to find it sold in bulk locally. Shame as it worked quite well and was economical. Propane too much hassle unless you have bulk tank where propane truck comes to you.

I have been thinking what I want to do when I get to where I cant cut and split my own wood. Think I might go to pellet stove. Its cheaper than bulk propane. I have plenty time, even if I have to fill the thing one coffee can full at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living