Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 06:26 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,414,297 times

Advertisements

When do you usually turn on the heat for the year?

It's November 2nd and last night was cold and this morning there was frost on the grass and my car windows. I feel chilly right now and my cat is leaning against me, which usually she doesn't, so she must be cold, too.

I'm probably going to turn on the heat (horribly expensive baseboard electric) today. I usually go barefoot at home, but will have to start wearing socks now as the floors felt freezingly cold this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 06:27 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
When do you usually turn on the heat for the year?

It's November 2nd and last night was cold and this morning there was frost on the grass and my car windows. I feel chilly right now and my cat is leaning against me, which usually she doesn't, so she must be cold, too.

I'm probably going to turn on the heat (horribly expensive baseboard electric) today. I usually go barefoot at home, but will have to start wearing socks now as the floors felt freezingly cold this morning.
I don't know about you, but I turn on the heat when the house gets cold.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:29 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,414,297 times
It's so expensive, I try to hold off until it's really cold and I know it will stay cold. I never turn on the heat for a random cold day before Halloween.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:37 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
The heat is always on in a sense at my place, as we use a gas boiler. I keep the thermostat set to 62 or 63 during the day and sometimes up to 65 at night, if we are chilled.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:13 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
It's so expensive, I try to hold off until it's really cold and I know it will stay cold. I never turn on the heat for a random cold day before Halloween.
My latest utility bill includes a graph of usage for the last year. Running the AC in the summer uses about twice the kwh vs when no AC or heat is running. Running the electric heat in the winter uses about 4x the non AC/Heat months. I wish I could get gas heat.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:19 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,020,744 times
Our furnace stays at 57f degrees for Winter. It came on now and again for about the last two weeks. Though I live in mid-Michigan, and it's been very cold here lately.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:35 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I don't know about you, but I turn on the heat when the house gets cold.
^^^ this. But it also depends on your lifestyle. If you are an active person that moves a lot around the house, and cook your own meals, then you don't feel the cold until you sit down to watch TV, read a book or such.
Some people are comfortable wearing layers and use blankets, some like to wear a t-shirt and walk barefoot.
It's advisable to check your house for air leaks and insulate it well to maintain stable temps inside. Windows and doors could be insulated with foam strips, heavy curtains on the windows help too.
If you have a large house and don't use most rooms during a day - perhaps you could use an energy-efficient portable space heater to just heat the room you use at the time?

There are many threads about how to winterize home on the budget.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:14 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,107 times
I turn on the heat whenever my house is uncomfortably cold, and I turn on the air conditioning when it is uncomfortably hot.

Life is too short to spend it shivering or sweltering.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:24 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
When I owned a house in Minnesota, I was really conscious of the heating cost. I would try to last as long as I could but usually it was the end of October. Sweatshirts and sweatpants help a lot as do socks and warm slippers. Fleece blankets for just sitting, reading or whatever.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:12 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,060,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
I turn on the heat whenever my house is uncomfortably cold, and I turn on the air conditioning when it is uncomfortably hot.

Life is too short to spend it shivering or sweltering.
I agree. It's bad enough that it's too hot or too cold outside, without it being too hot or too cold inside. And if you remember Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, how can I hope to achieve Self-Actualization if my Physiological Needs remain unmet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living