Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 04:50 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times

Advertisements

I HATE laundromats! One of the best days ever was when I was just out of grad school and bought a washer from a co-worker who was divorcing and liquidating. I lived in a sunny place and hung my stuff on a clotheline. Freedom!

Do as others said and look for scratch and dent. Where I used to live, there was a Sears scratch and dent, I got a Kenmore washer & dryer for cheap, and they lasted for years. Or try Craig’s list or equivalent.

When you move, you don’t need to take appliances with you, just sell or leave behind. Really, you do not need top of the line, new appliances to get the job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 05:36 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,577,289 times
One other option is to look at some of the shipping companies. Occasionally they will have merchandise that was refused by the merchant because of damage to the container, and the shipper didn't want to pay to get it back.

I bought some nice oak furniture like that. The shipping box had water damage, but there was nothing wrong with the contents.

If I remember right, I paid about 40% of what the store would have charged for the same pieces. The shipping company just wanted to get it off their dock.

Personally, I'm a little leary of laundromats because folks will use them for oily clothes, factory work clothes that had solvents or other contaminants on them or any stuff they don't want in their own machines. You never know what the last load of clothes were like that went through that machine.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:04 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,515,483 times
Facebook Marketplace is a great site to buy most anything. Washers/dryers are listed about every day.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:24 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Scratch and dent/floor models are the way to go. You can often get significant discounts for minor dings. I got a two chests of drawers for 50% off for very minor dings and got some other furniture with minor scratches on the back/sides that also had significant discounts. I have another chair that has no issues but was just a floor model. If you are less picky about the look/style and don’t care about a perfectly matched set, you can probably get something pretty decent this way when stores are getting their new models in. I would focus on local appliance stores since the old Sears outlets are gone. Sometimes you might also be able to find some weird color that someone decided they didn’t want last minute, but that might be too high end for what you are looking for. If I go for a new washer/dryer, that is probably what I will do since they are in my basement and I absolutely do not care if they are lime green or fluorescent orange.

I try to avoid laundromats. I like to hang dry some of my clothes, so they do not make sense to me.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:44 AM

900 posts, read 684,508 times
Go on Craigslist and find a used pair and they will pay for themselves very quickly.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:10 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,275,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So, i've always lived in apartments that had onsite coin op laundry. Now, I am moving into an apartment that has washer/dryer hookups but no laundry onsite. Washer/Dryer equipment with installation gear and then installation service etc. I am estimating will cost over $1,000. The nearest coin-op laundromat is a 10 minute drive away.

I am expecting to live in this apartment (or at the very least in the general area) for at least 3-4 years if not more.

What would you do? Does it make sense to invest a grand in a washer/dryer? The coin-op would cost a ton less even over a span of 5 years I think.

I considered buying used equipment but then decided against because it's a risk - there is no way to verify if it works and I may end up with $500-600 heavy ornaments.

Any suggestions for cheap/basic washer/dryers also would help, I am not interested in anything fancy, something that will just get my clothes clean and will last at least a few years.
Early next year I am installing a Euro washer in my condo. We have communal laundry rooms, but I just want my own washing machine.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Gee, I spent $127 on a refurbished washing machine 10 yrs ago included deliv. and hook up for me.
Just a diff perspective -I love laundromats ---what a diff slice of life to watch and interact with ...gives me time
to just sit and read!
No one is bugging me - no distractions or projects to do at home...just me reading. Ahhh...

Old 08-01-2020, 07:47 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,275,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Gee, I spent $127 on a refurbished washing machine 10 yrs ago included deliv. and hook up for me.
Just a diff perspective -I love laundromats ---what a diff slice of life to watch and interact with ...gives me time
to just sit and read!
No one is bugging me - no distractions or projects to do at home...just me reading. Ahhh..
I do see the allure. When I used to have to go to laundromats, it was quite peaceful. I always ended up napping.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:39 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
I have lived in apartments most of my adult life (45+ years). I spent a few years living in apartments without a washing machine, and it wasn't so great. I went to many laundromats, and occasionally saw things that made me realize the advantage of your own washing machine.

One time, a janitor rolled in a cart full of dirty cotton mops (removed from the mop handle). He put those into several machines to wash them. I would not want to wash clothes in a machine that was just used to wash dirty mops, or something else along those lines. There is residue left behind after the rinse cycle that sometimes stays inside the machine. This can especially occur after washing mechanic's coveralls, that leave behind an oil residue.

Plenty of good suggestions above to find an inexpensive washing machine. Here in Arizona, a clothes dryer is not really needed. Clothes dry very fast hanging on a rack indoors or outdoors. Right after the wash cycle is over, I hang mine indoors with the rack under the ceiling fan. Works great and does not cause any damage to clothes like many dryers. Saves on energy bills too. The sun here is so strong that it can fade colors on clothes, which is why I dry clothes indoors.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:06 AM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I must also mention that I plan on relocating after around 4 years and carting these heavy machines would be a pain so I would probably have to sell them for not much money - i'm guessing probably 20% of the original cost if i'm lucky.

At your guestimate of 1k new you may get 100 in four years.

Do you really want to wash your underwear in a machine you do not know who washed what in; hang around for an hour and then lug your laundry home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living