Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 08:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
is it worth it to wait for Labor Day sales? That isn't too far away!!
Sure.

Shop around for stores that not only have sales but also offer free delivery and installation. Since you don't have any old machines for them to haul away, you may be able to negotiate free delivery from those who charge. And check to make sure whether the model you get comes with a power cord. Sometimes they come separate, and they charge $50 for those.

There's no need to buy a set that looks like a spaceship. You'll be fine with a top-load washer in the $400 range.

Once you have your own machines, you'll wonder why you put up with the laundromat for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 08:37 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,050,632 times
I remember my laundromat days. Once in a while, a dryer would go berserk and over heat the clothes. Having my own washer and dryer made for a big improvement in quality of life.

My washer and dryer are now 32 years old. I rarely have more than 2 loads a week and take care of my appliances. They are basic models with only cotton and permanent press settings.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:11 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
? It is one front load machine that washes and dries. It doesn’t stack.
I thought you meant an appliance like this. https://www.viewpoints.com/Whirlpool...T3300S-reviews

Old 08-03-2020, 09:14 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I don't know about that, but since you have a pickup, get a handtruck, dolly, whatever you call it, but buy used & DIY moving it, it's not that hard.
There's still the matter of getting it down from the pickup. OP says she doesn't have anyone to help her.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:15 PM

187 posts, read 113,434 times
Quote:
is it worth it to wait for Labor Day sales? That isn't too far away!!

We recently bought a new washer and dryer from Lowes during the Memorial Day sale. The prices were better but it took 3 weeks before they delivered and set up because they were having inventory problems. I can give you the prices we paid.

Whirlpool washer (model WTW4816FW) original price $428, after 10% military discount we paid $385.20. Lowes has this model currently priced at $499.

GE electric dryer (model GTD42EASJWW) original price $498, after 10% military discount we paid $448.20. Lowes has this model currently priced at $629.

Additional costs:
The washer required a 2-pack of hoses for $26.98.
The dryer required a power cord for $21.58. Check your outlet to see if you need 3 or 4 prong.
The dryer also required an aluminum duct for $12.57, but we were able to return it to the store because the installers used our old one.
The website also showed we had to purchase a clamp for $1.87 and a washing machine connector for $8.98. We did, but they did not use them during set up, so we returned them.
Installation was free but we paid $30 each to haul away our old washer and dryer.

We bought both online where we got a 10% military discount, 1% cash back from Rakuten, and 3% cash back from our credit card. After all discounts and returns but including tax and haul away, we paid $904 total. Whirlpool had a dryer which was a little cheaper than the GE, but we were willing to pay a little more to have the GE because it fit better in our laundry room. So far, we are extremely pleased with both units.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:34 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I’ll just add that the last washer I bought has no central agitator, and it is great for washing bulky items, like pillows and comforters. There are plenty of things I don’t like about it, but I do like that feature.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Well, I think you guys have me convinced to pony up for a new Washer/Dryer. Buying used is a pain for me as I am solo and although I have a pickup truck I don't have anyone to help me out with 150lb pieces of cargo!! I see a lot fo stores offer delivery and install for a minimal additional cost if you buy the stuff from them.

If it lasted reliably for 4 years that would be great. What is the expected average lifespan of a washer/dryer?
Growing up my parent's first set lasted probably 20 years. Mom replaced both of them when 17 years ago and that set is still going strong.

I bought mine 5 years ago, the cheapest Maytag or GE models, they're going strong as well.

Quote:
From a purely financial aspect I doubt it... I pay $1200 for a washer/dryer (after tax/deliver/install)... I do my laundry once a week, at my prior place it was $1.75 wash, $1.50 dry so $3.25/wk x 52 weeks = $169/yr. It would take 7.1 years just to break even with the cost and that isn't taking into the cost of water/electricity which runs around $50/yr or so.

So, a lot of the cost is for convenience. The equipment would not really pay for itself. And if it quits working after 3 years (like most of the Chinese junk made today) then they become worthless and all the money is down the drain as it may be more expensive to fix it than the cost of the machine itself.
My experience was that when I had to take it somewhere it was more money than the on-site at the apartment machines. I spend a lot more than 3.25 a week, plus the added time and HASSLE of schlepping to a laundry mat. I think you are vastly underestimating the inconvenience and the cost of a laundromat, but all the same. https://www.thesimpledollar.com/save...d-laundromats/ They do a cost comparison. And that doesn't take into account other problems I've had with laundromats, namely where stuff gets ruined but their machinery.

For simplicity sake I'd use this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-...ite/1000549231 My parents have it at their lake house and it's nice.

Another option is to look at the used appliance stores. My girlfriend at the time moved in with her friend and they needed a machine cheap. We didn't have a truck to move them and frankly I didn't want to be the only one wrestling it through their place. I found a store that offered free delivery on used appliances. I think it was $400 for a set delivered with a 14 day warranty. It wasn't nice but it worked the year they lived there, then I sold it for $200 to someone with the understanding they needed to take it away.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:07 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
There's still the matter of getting it down from the pickup. OP says she doesn't have anyone to help her.
Most stores deliver and install for a nominal fee.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:13 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
When I was a very young mom, and poor, I used to use a laundromat to wash my babies' dirty cloth diapers. I'm sure I wasn't the only person putting poopy diapers into the laundromat's machines.

I bought my own washer and dryer the minute I was able to afford them.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:34 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Rather than going for a bargain basement brand like Amana, is it worth it to invest in a GE? It isn't that much more expensive and has more features and is larger capacity too:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amana-3-...16FW/207204027

$448

vs

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-4-2-c...-308653937-_-N

$566

which one would you choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living