Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 05:04 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Well, I think you guys have me convinced to pony up for a new Washer/Dryer. Buying used is a pain for me as I am solo and although I have a pickup truck I don't have anyone to help me out with 150lb pieces of cargo!! I see a lot fo stores offer delivery and install for a minimal additional cost if you buy the stuff from them.

If it lasted reliably for 4 years that would be great. What is the expected average lifespan of a washer/dryer?

From a purely financial aspect I doubt it... I pay $1200 for a washer/dryer (after tax/deliver/install)... I do my laundry once a week, at my prior place it was $1.75 wash, $1.50 dry so $3.25/wk x 52 weeks = $169/yr. It would take 7.1 years just to break even with the cost and that isn't taking into the cost of water/electricity which runs around $50/yr or so.

So, a lot of the cost is for convenience. The equipment would not really pay for itself. And if it quits working after 3 years (like most of the Chinese junk made today) then they become worthless and all the money is down the drain as it may be more expensive to fix it than the cost of the machine itself.
You can get an inexpensive w/d set from Best Buy and they will deliver it and install it as well. If you buy the Geek Squad protection plan they will come and fix it for you for free if it breaks down or causes any problems. It is well worth it, believe me. Better yet, the policy can transfer with the units when you re-sell them at the end of the 4 years. In the meantime, no trips to the laundromat and you have a decent w/d.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 05:42 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
When you buy appliances, in most cases, delivery and set up is free. Only "installation gear" I've ever had to buy on a washer and dryer is you have to buy the power cord. Even if you had to do it yourself, you could be up and ready for a load of clothes in about a half hour. Hook up the hoses and plug in and the washer is ready. Connect the vent pipe, which the only tool you need is a screwdriver, plug it in and you're ready. You didn't say if your apartment will be on the ground floor or upstairs. If you're downstairs and know somebody with a dolly to help you move, it's pretty easy to move them. I'd much rather move them with me than hope you can sell these and then have to turn around and buy another set at your new place.

$1.75 to wash? That must be nice! The two laundromats in our town have gone to the big washers that cost you either $4.75 a load or $6.50 a load. Every quarter gets you 8 minutes in the dryer. I can dry a load for 75 cents. Only had to do that while getting a belt replaced on my dryer.
With this kind of money you could buy new with same as cash financing from a big box store. Really though, I’d buy used in your circumstances. My kids bought a washer and drier for $150. over 5 years ago and it’s still going strong.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:59 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think he means the type that wash and dry in one unit? Not sure. That is what I had in the UK, although it took forever to do a load if I dried something. I only dried sheets and towels. They are good if you have very little space.
That's a stack.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:00 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
I agree with others. Buy a scratch-and-dent or good used set from a place that will deliver.

Washers should last for decades. Get a basic model without much to break down.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:52 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
is it worth it to wait for Labor Day sales? That isn't too far away!!

Old 08-02-2020, 10:48 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
is it worth it to wait for Labor Day sales? That isn't too far away!!
I don't know about that, but since you have a pickup, get a handtruck, dolly, whatever you call it, but buy used & DIY moving it, it's not that hard.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,118,548 times
Lowes has a very basic pair that often go on sale for $399 each. I love those things...they are no frills sturdy and if anything ever goes wrong parts are very common. I have never broken anything yet in 5 years.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:04 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
That's a stack.
? It is one front load machine that washes and dries. It doesn’t stack.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Buy a basic model as mentioned. (Whirlpool preferred). I am very partial to nice used models, since newer are likely made with cheaper components (modular design, more likely to fail). One of our homes has a Samsung efficiency model and it uses a lot more water, and will not wash small loads (weight based mechanism). All of our homes are on well system water. High water guantity use is very bad for water well pump, as it our rentals on city water that charges sewer rates based on water use. (Many apartments include water free, (bad idea for conservation) our renters with free water use 400+ gal / day. As a couple we use <40 gal / day.

I would find scratch and dent sale / appliance broker or large dealer if buying new. Locally we have a large dealer with a liquidation store with sale units ~$400 each. Sears appliance stores (Whirlpool) often has liquidation sales. (Especially these days with stores closing)

I've never bought W&D new, usually 20+ yrs service life from my used appliances.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:22 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Dryers (electric) basically last forever. About the only thing that can go wrong is the belt breaking or the heating element failing. Everything in it is easy to repair if you avoid electronics and touchscreens.

Washers I typically get 10-20 years out of before something starts leaking. Sometimes I have it repaired and sometimes I just say to heck with it and buy a new machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living