Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 07:53 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

It is worth the cost of a washer and dryer to avoid going to the laundromat during this pandemic. And you will recoup the cost soon enough anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 12:51 PM

187 posts, read 113,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Right after the wash cycle is over, I hang mine indoors with the rack under the ceiling fan. Works great and does not cause any damage to clothes like many dryers. Saves on energy bills too. The sun here is so strong that it can fade colors on clothes, which is why I dry clothes indoors.

I would probably buy a new washer but use the drying method that "Recycled" described above. A sturdy drying rack and a fan works well for drying laundry but you may have to iron some things. This works well for one person, but I don't know if I would do it if doing laundry for more than one.

Although I have no experience with them, I see there are small portable washers you can buy. There are a few on Amazon. They are supposed to be light enough to be able to move them into your bath when doing laundry. I'm sure it would take a little more work on your part than a regular washer all set up and ready to go. If they had these around many moons ago when I was young and single, I would have been tempted to try one when in a couple of apartments that didn't have laundry in the unit.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:58 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I am estimating will cost over $1,000.........

I'd be delighted to pay $1,000 to not have to go to the laundromat for four years.

The last time I had to use the laundromat, a homeless guy was passed out drunk on the floor and he was laying in a huge lake of his own urine.

Seriously, just no thanks.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:48 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Well, I think you guys have me convinced to pony up for a new Washer/Dryer. Buying used is a pain for me as I am solo and although I have a pickup truck I don't have anyone to help me out with 150lb pieces of cargo!! I see a lot fo stores offer delivery and install for a minimal additional cost if you buy the stuff from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'd be delighted to pay $1,000 to not have to go to the laundromat for four years.
If it lasted reliably for 4 years that would be great. What is the expected average lifespan of a washer/dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It is worth the cost of a washer and dryer to avoid going to the laundromat during this pandemic. And you will recoup the cost soon enough anyway...
From a purely financial aspect I doubt it... I pay $1200 for a washer/dryer (after tax/deliver/install)... I do my laundry once a week, at my prior place it was $1.75 wash, $1.50 dry so $3.25/wk x 52 weeks = $169/yr. It would take 7.1 years just to break even with the cost and that isn't taking into the cost of water/electricity which runs around $50/yr or so.

So, a lot of the cost is for convenience. The equipment would not really pay for itself. And if it quits working after 3 years (like most of the Chinese junk made today) then they become worthless and all the money is down the drain as it may be more expensive to fix it than the cost of the machine itself.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:04 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
I have a Whirlpool W/D that has lasted over 15.5 years (with one minor repair to the washer several years ago).

I was a renter for many years and only had one apartment with a W/D; then I bought a place, and have really enjoyed being able to do laundry anytime right here at home.

Just googled "average life expectancy" and saw 10-14 years for a washer and 10-13 for a dryer. I think you'll have no problem finding a W/D set that will last you a good four years and then some.

Happy laundering!

Old 08-02-2020, 04:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
From a purely financial aspect I doubt it... I pay $1200 for a washer/dryer (after tax/deliver/install).
Pay $120 instead or even $200 (as has been advised) and recalculate.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:26 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Just buy them and be done with it. Mine are somewhere around 20 years old, never had an issue with them.

I hate laundry mats though. I rather wash my clothes in my sink than go to one.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:37 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Thanks! I think I am leaning towards buying Whirlpool, I am reading a lot of positives about the brand regarding reliability. On the contrary Samsung has a lot of negatives (although I must admit that their units look amazing!)

Old 08-02-2020, 04:50 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would never go to a laundromat if i had another option. Used washers and dryers can be bought online, because folks move and don’t want to move them. Look on local sales sites and Craigslist.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:50 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Quote:
Washer/Dryer equipment with installation gear and then installation service etc. I am estimating will cost over $1,000.
When you buy appliances, in most cases, delivery and set up is free. Only "installation gear" I've ever had to buy on a washer and dryer is you have to buy the power cord. Even if you had to do it yourself, you could be up and ready for a load of clothes in about a half hour. Hook up the hoses and plug in and the washer is ready. Connect the vent pipe, which the only tool you need is a screwdriver, plug it in and you're ready. You didn't say if your apartment will be on the ground floor or upstairs. If you're downstairs and know somebody with a dolly to help you move, it's pretty easy to move them. I'd much rather move them with me than hope you can sell these and then have to turn around and buy another set at your new place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
if single... I would use a 'friendly and safe' laundromat.

Currently I go once every 2 weeks and do 2 loads ($1.75 each) + $1 each to dry. = ~$100/ yr
$1.75 to wash? That must be nice! The two laundromats in our town have gone to the big washers that cost you either $4.75 a load or $6.50 a load. Every quarter gets you 8 minutes in the dryer. I can dry a load for 75 cents. Only had to do that while getting a belt replaced on my dryer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living