Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 10:31 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
okay, but do you round up to benefit the charity?
There's no way I'm going to allow a corporation to reap the goodwill and publicity generated by my contribution. If I want to give, I'll do it directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 05:31 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
There's no way I'm going to allow a corporation to reap the goodwill and publicity generated by my contribution. If I want to give, I'll do it directly.
Same here!
(Except it is "when" I want to give instead of "if" I want to give).

But the person I was speaking to was talking about tips instead of the topic.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:13 AM

5,133 posts, read 6,129,481 times
I am seeing this a bit more now where they ask if you would like to add a donation to your total. I give charitably on my own so I always decline unless it happens to be one of the charity’s I give to.

While it doesn’t pertain to this thread I am getting overwhelmed at checkouts (sarcasm).

Asking for donations, tipping at counter service, adding a fee for using a credit card and the 15% tip option being replaced by 18%.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:07 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
okay, but do you round up to benefit the charity?
Interesting, there wasn't an option for charity at this bakery but yes, have rounded up many times. THAT I don't mind.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:08 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
And this relates to this thread how??
Haha, doesn't matter, seriously, it's just a comment.

Old 01-15-2024, 04:01 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
This is exactly my sentiment.

When asked if I want to "round up for X charity"...I say "if I wish to contribute to that charity, I'll do it directly and in a higher value than just my change".

End of discussion.

Best

Old 01-15-2024, 01:42 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,813 times
This really gets out of hand before Christmas. Everybody is asking for donations for a food bank, dinners, etc. etc for various charities. I always reply Not now. I get plenty of opportunities to actually make a meaningful donation to those places directly and at least once a season our postal workers leave bags for food and then return to pick them up. I prefer to donate to the local pet shelters anyway and they are mostly ignored. Just ask them what they need and then go purchase that and give it to them. We usually drive up with bags of cat litter, blankets, towels, etc.

My response to the Girl Scouts pushing cookies is "I buy from my neighbor or granddaughter, etc. I don't eat sweets but I found out that if you don't want the cookies, you can just give some cash, which I will only do if I actually know the girl. Or donate the cookies to the food banks.

Old 01-15-2024, 09:17 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

When asked if I want to "round up for X charity"...I say "if I wish to contribute to that charity, I'll do it directly and in a higher value than just my change".

End of discussion.

Best
I used to throw some cash at the local very small supermarket chain which chose a different regional charity every year.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:26 AM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

End of discussion.

Best
I respond with "not today". That ends it. The cashier usually doesn't give a flying .

Old 01-16-2024, 09:32 AM

9,407 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Yes indeed, "Round up for _______ blah blah blah charity?"

EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. That's a good way to kill what could have been a good idea for an actually worthwhile charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living