Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 07:44 AM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
People have moved out of areas they couldn't afford since the beginning of time.
Right. However, so many millennials and zoomers are so into the, "experiences" lifestyle that many won't act on locational COL vs. income irrationally over the long term. We actually have good direct and indirect data indicating as much.

The other side of the coin is most places that are cheap are cheap for good reasons......limited job ops., bad schools, poor housing stock etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 07:53 AM

239 posts, read 106,660 times
We live 1 hr from the closest town, a world class ski area & rec area. The pay is much higher, overall, for most any occupation.We choose to commute. to work. Luckly he only works half the year and my commute is only 2 days a week. My fantasy is somehow we are able to live in that resort town full time, or at least somewhat closer to this town. It's only possible if we want to live in a mobile home in a mobile home park, no more nice 1400 sq foot home with a garage on 1 acre. No thanks

Old 12-11-2023, 07:53 AM

506 posts, read 259,785 times
Quote:
People have moved out of areas they couldn't afford since the beginning of time.
It also depends on when it becomes not affordable. I lived in the DC area for many years because that was were the best jobs were in my field ( and no work from home ). We lived in the HCOL area only because of the high wages and meaningfulness of careers. But we lived within our means, modestly ( yet comfortably ), planned ahead, and paid off the mortgage in 10 years.

But. When it came time to retire we knew we could not afford to live there on roughly half the income. So we moved to a much more affordable area. Sold the big house in the HCOL and bought something even nicer in the LCOL at half the price.

Now we still live modestly ( and comfortably ). And ... with nowhere near the traffic, congestion, crime, etc. Not to mention it is warmer and nicer here.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:39 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
A close relative retired from HCOL area to South Carolina because they could buy a stunning, big home, play golf daily, eat at country club. 10 years later they are looking to move back north because intrusive politics are making their local life unpleasant. They themselves never discuss politics so social aspects must have really gone downhill.

They have enough money through pensions, Social Security and investments to move but getting a similar home? It will cost more for a smaller home. They don't need a large home but it may feel like a comedown from what they have.

We all make decisions based on our own priorities. Being close to relatives, living in a safe neighborhood, being close to reliable medical care, being able to afford the cost of where we live. After you make a major move and know how exhausting it is you don't make another move without very big reasons.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:57 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
When I got a gray divorce 3 years ago I knew that the only way I could afford to stay in Reno was if I bought a condo. Rents are unaffordable. So we sold the house and split the profits and I immediately bought a condo to secure a low payment which is usually one of people’s biggest expenses. Even with the hoa fees that includes all my utilities I only pay half of what renters do for a similar place.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:53 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,378,272 times
When we lived in Arizona, many of our friends and neighbors were escapees from Kalifornia and the Pacific Northwet.

Old 12-27-2023, 04:12 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
A close relative retired from HCOL area to South Carolina because they could buy a stunning, big home, play golf daily, eat at country club. 10 years later they are looking to move back north because intrusive politics are making their local life unpleasant. They themselves never discuss politics so social aspects must have really gone downhill.

They have enough money through pensions, Social Security and investments to move but getting a similar home? It will cost more for a smaller home. They don't need a large home but it may feel like a comedown from what they have.

We all make decisions based on our own priorities. Being close to relatives, living in a safe neighborhood, being close to reliable medical care, being able to afford the cost of where we live. After you make a major move and know how exhausting it is you don't make another move without very big reasons.
I wonder what sort of intrusive politics is making their life unpleasant. SC is pretty independent and easy going compared to other places we lived.

But of course, you don't want to live where you're not happy for any reason.

Old 01-04-2024, 07:03 PM

972 posts, read 541,989 times
My area is quite expensive compared with national averages, so I'd like to move somewhere with a more reasonable cost of living. I'm looking into it now.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:00 AM

381 posts, read 279,387 times
we did, moved from South Florida to SC , we could not maintain in Fl due to the rising costs of taxes and insurance, our income went down slightly and we pay a state income tax but our col was reduced and the move allowed us to put a good amount into our retirement fund, whether or not it was the best decision time will tell

Old 02-23-2024, 08:16 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Not at this rate of prevalence, this is more than just a few token examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living