Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 03:17 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Getting by paycheck to paycheck or struggling with more severe consequences like possibly becoming homeless? I was the latter and made a decision to be proactive and move to a city with a much lower cost of living and the ability to get back on my feet. While you may dislike the idea of leaving family/friends for a city where you don't know anyone, think ahead to the possibilities as well as the consequences of inaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 03:37 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
I think about it all time, as I live in a resort town that suddenly became invaded by the golden horde after Covid started. New development is all overpriced 'luxury' housing geared toward the wealthy that don't even live here. I own a business and am doing okay, but if I lose my apartment (to AirBnb, mostly likely) I'm screwed. I'm unable/uninterested in competing in the high dollar housing market. It's stressful to have it constantly hanging over my head.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:20 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
People have moved out of areas they couldn't afford since the beginning of time.

Old 09-25-2023, 10:10 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Yes, my preference is the west/west-coast.......but skeeeedaddled when it became an area with
nutso cost of living. Grew up in Seattle, could never afford to live in that area again.

So, yeah, Indiana.........not too bad and the COL is pretty low.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:47 PM

I was feeling proactive and on the verge of skedaddling right around this time last year, planning a trip to southern Missouri to check it out for relocation purposes. Luckily a great opportunity came my way, so I'm hanging on where I'm at for the time being. It becomes harder to skedaddle when you're tied to business ownership, and also having to face the reality of ageism and looking for work after age 45.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 8,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I was feeling proactive and on the verge of skedaddling right around this time last year, planning a trip to southern Missouri to check it out for relocation purposes. Luckily a great opportunity came my way, so I'm hanging on where I'm at for the time being. It becomes harder to skedaddle when you're tied to business ownership, and also having to face the reality of ageism and looking for work after age 45.
I can relate, as I am also 45 years old. Finding new opportunities at this stage can be challenging, especially in the face of potential ageism. While we are no longer operating our business, we are keeping the space and hoping to lease it to another tenant. I considered relocating last year, but I am glad that I was able to find a new job working from home.

I appreciate you sharing your experience - it helps to know that there are others navigating similar transitions at this stage in life.

Old 09-25-2023, 10:16 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I can relate. I am a native San Franciscan, so don't need to say more than that. I haven't lived in my home town since the 1980s, so this is nothing new as many others here have pointed out.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I can relate. I am a native San Franciscan, so don't need to say more than that. I haven't lived in my home town since the 1980s, so this is nothing new as many others here have pointed out.
Yet so many have (and still do) commute from LCOL to HCOL just for the higher wages. It's such a waste of time and resources. But for many... it's their sanity to have a QUIET and AWAY home.

On the contrary, I chose to go from a desireable (and at the time LCOL) area to a HCOL with High Wages during my earning years, yet lived very frugally. (such as the $35 car 50 mpg I've been driving for 47 yrs). We did the gardening / gleaning / home grown thing, lived in a 70 YO home, had a lot of PT jobs, volunteered at places that fed us, no sport / music / expensive activities for kids, free and healthy recreation (farming), rented out part of our home, built our own furniture, fixed our own cars and tractors, did our own remodeling... And still able to retire pre age 50 off a single hourly wage earner.

Run all the numbers and figure out what is gonna float your boat. At times you must learn to adapt. Which I got a good dose of AFTER retirement when both Property Taxes and Healthcare skyrocketed 10x my worst case budgeting projections. Having No Income makes that scenario a challenge. (fixed and mandatory costs). We ate less and took on a lot of risk. (uninsured for yrs)

Old 09-26-2023, 06:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
The hardest part about wanting to live in a HCOL area is saving enough money to buy a home there. I and spouse went through that. It was my hometown, lots of relatives living there in modest homes but by the time we wanted a home it was very expensive, even lots were $$$$$ and much owned by out-of-towners. We could only do it because a relative gave us a lot to build a small home on.

Lots of retirees move to LCOL. If you want to stay in HCOL you better own a home to make that possible, even then you can't control RE taxes and other costs.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
The hardest part about wanting to live in a HCOL area is saving enough money to buy a home there.
Same here, which is why a lot of our younger people and middle income workers are simply leaving. If one has to work three jobs just to afford housing, it's time to go somewhere else. That's not living. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford my own home here, mostly because I don't believe basic shelter needs to cost half a million dollars, and rising. Ridiculous.

I'm disgusted with the changes I see taking place in my small town. Honestly, give it five years and I'm not sure I even want to live here anymore. I'll just be one of those 'undesirables' surrounded by luxury condos and big money, when all I want is a simple life with no stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living