Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 02:17 PM

4,423 posts, read 2,977,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
OP has a potential romantic interest on the horizon in another thread. That may change things around a bit.
I never think about money in my dating life and always offer to pay. At the same time, I don't try to impress a girl by taking her to the most expensive restaurants or buying her expensive jewelry. If the person I'm dating is horrible with money and has no career, I won't consider anything serious with them. It's never been an issue though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 12:44 PM

6,482 posts, read 7,841,352 times
I'm similar to you OP. I have all I want and am very content. But I am content because I have zero desire for luxury items. I am married with a family, am 50 and make a good living for my area (very high cost of living area) and a phenomenal living if compared with income in the USA. I invest my money in my kids college and house down payment fund, I invest in the market, and I have a high end rental property that is worth more than my house. My wife stopped working full time about 10 years ago. I have plenty of everything I want. The other thing I use my money for is home improvements, got a really nice big and all new kitchen a couple years ago and just put in another bathroom in the house with some cool comforts (heated floor and such). I do spend on my hobby but its a side gig that I make money off of so earn it back ("self sustaining" hobby). One thing I splurged on is my truck, but I needed it for my hobby/side gig and will pay that all off in a few years from the sales.

So it sounds perfectly normal (and good) to me. I enjoy watching my money grow but I don't use it for goofy things like high end clothes or cars. Growing my money is more of a sport. And its good ot have a spouse who is on the same page.

Life is more enjoyable when you aren't wanting a private jet.

Best to you.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:24 PM

37,772 posts, read 46,260,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'm similar to you OP. I have all I want and am very content. But I am content because I have zero desire for luxury items. I am married with a family, am 50 and make a good living for my area (very high cost of living area) and a phenomenal living if compared with income in the USA. I invest my money in my kids college and house down payment fund, I invest in the market, and I have a high end rental property that is worth more than my house. My wife stopped working full time about 10 years ago. I have plenty of everything I want. The other thing I use my money for is home improvements, got a really nice big and all new kitchen a couple years ago and just put in another bathroom in the house with some cool comforts (heated floor and such). I do spend on my hobby but its a side gig that I make money off of so earn it back ("self sustaining" hobby). One thing I splurged on is my truck, but I needed it for my hobby/side gig and will pay that all off in a few years from the sales.

So it sounds perfectly normal (and good) to me. I enjoy watching my money grow but I don't use it for goofy things like high end clothes or cars. Growing my money is more of a sport. And its good ot have a spouse who is on the same page.

Life is more enjoyable when you aren't wanting a private jet.

Best to you.
But you DO spend money. High end clothes are "goofy", but "cool heated floors" are not?

Too funny. What YOU spend money on is good. What other people spend it on, is somehow less worthy.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 3,088,082 times
Found you a friend, OP:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/psych...ake-money.html

Old 03-24-2024, 06:55 PM

4,423 posts, read 2,977,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw4me View Post
lol

Old 03-26-2024, 02:33 PM

22 posts, read 4,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Is this normal?
"Retail therapy" has always been something that I don't "get." I don't derive pleasure or enjoyment from spending money, and usually the kinds of things people talk about spending money on "as an activity" have never been super appealing to me.

Like, going clothes shopping? I tend to avoid doing this because my old clothes are just fine.

Food? Well, it's convenient, but usually I could cook whatever I'm craving myself, and it'll often taste better.

Etc etc etc. I dunno if it's "normal" but it probably should be.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:32 PM

3,233 posts, read 1,071,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Single guy here and all I do is save money. I'm frugal but also don't even find things I want to spend money on. I don't care about cars. I don't go out and drink at bars anymore. I have everything I want for my house. I don't buy clothes. My hobbies are cheap or free. Is this normal?
Yes, it's OK.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:58 AM

3,768 posts, read 5,891,738 times
It is a great feeling not to owe anybody anything when you have paid off home, cars and furnished like you like. I like having the money to contribute to worthy causes and organizations. That brings a great sense of peace. Could the OP consider donating to causes that he is sympathetic ?

Wife is handicapped and traveling is hard now . We have already been to Europe 3 times, most of the US, Canada and Mexico. I don't care to go exploring in Asia or 3rd World countries. Those that do, more power to them.

I go to Planet Fitness regularly so I am not outgrowing my clothes like so many retired folks do. Wife gets made for wearing old clothes but I still dress nicely, just with classic designs.

I just feel blessed by God to have all my needs met and not worry about money like so many do.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:45 AM

3,233 posts, read 1,071,786 times
I'm the same, Rogarven. I'm very grateful for all I have, it's more than enough for me. My husband has 5 times more clothes than me ha ha but anyone is different.

It does bring a great sense of peace, to know that you are provided for. To be able too help others in need is wonderful. Every time I do that, my own cup of happiness becomes full. It's so true.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:36 PM

7,163 posts, read 12,731,241 times
Yes, we're at the age where we're more divesting ourselves of extraneous stuff rather than buying more.

Just buy the necessities...for example a new pair of walking shoes for me...old ones were worn out. An investment in my health as I walk a lot...

And a new computer as the previous one had outlived its useful life and was slower than a snail on tranquilizers (about 12 years old). Too old to waste time on sluggish downloads.

We've no debt and we like it like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living