Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 10:35 AM

27,722 posts, read 28,837,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think after a while, for many people, chasing "experiences" elsewhere loses its appeal, and they realize that home is as good a place as any to experience the world and nature. If you delight in nature, then you can have lots of experiences observing the natural world around you: the changes of the seasons, wildflowers, gardens, bird life, sunrises and sunsets, weather, and the night sky. I keep a calendar where I record my nature observations, and compare to previous years.

"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." -- George A. Moore

"Nature is not a place to visit, it is home." -- Gary Snyder
I wrote this to myself after returning from a long overseas trip:

“I traveled the world to learn that true happiness is something that can only be discovered within oneself.”

Not that I don’t mind going on a vacation once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 08:30 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,180,363 times
Quote:
In this sense, "home" means the general area where one lives, not a residence.
Okay. That's probably achievable if your "home" happens to be NYC versus some podunk small town.

It's great to be content at home, and it's certainly frugal! Good for those who are.

It's also great to experience what else the world has to offer, and that doesn't mean you're "chasing" anything or somehow deficient or defective.

Old 03-15-2024, 06:59 AM

72 posts, read 56,848 times
It usually goes this way with two opposite options of this type. Each one has its own pros and depends on personal preferences. At the end of the day, home - good, traveling - also good. The most important aspect - to be one's choice instead of a consequence of the circumstances. (The real mystery is if I'll remember a month from now exactly what I meant by this last sentence.)

Old 03-15-2024, 10:26 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,473,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Okay. That's probably achievable if your "home" happens to be NYC versus some podunk small town.

It's great to be content at home, and it's certainly frugal! Good for those who are.

It's also great to experience what else the world has to offer, and that doesn't mean you're "chasing" anything or somehow deficient or defective.
Big city chauvinism! No, where you live is not a factor. Look at what Abraham Lincoln achieved, living in rural communities in Kentucky and Indiana and largely self-taught.

Having grown up in NY, I can vouch that all the cultural opportunities of the city do not "rub off" on many of the residents there.

I think whether it's spending money on "stuff" or "experiences", it is still consumerism, and often both are pursued for displays of status. In today's social media environment, people feel pressure to shell out for "experiences" to show off to their "friends" in an endless stream of selfies. It's all about the "likes".

Old 03-15-2024, 05:25 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,180,363 times
Quote:
I think whether it's spending money on "stuff" or "experiences", it is still consumerism, and often both are pursued for displays of status. In today's social media environment, people feel pressure to shell out for "experiences" to show off to their "friends" in an endless stream of selfies. It's all about the "likes".
I agree, and no one hates "phone culture" more than I do But I, for one, don't do that. I never post ANYTHING on social media anymore (although I admit to scrolling FB to see what people are up to and for entertainment) and don't even take pictures when I travel. I'm sure there are those who don't believe I really go to these places because "pictures, or it didn't happen." Way too many people are living life just to document it and show off to others, but some of us still actually experience it.

Home is good; travel is good. A mix is best, IMO.

Old 03-15-2024, 06:19 PM

8,131 posts, read 12,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I'm not saving for anything because I have everything I need. I'm saving by default because I don't have a desire to purchase things. I invest all my money in the stock market.
So you DO have a desire to buy things. Is there a point to your post or just a humble brag?

Old 03-15-2024, 06:46 PM

1,174 posts, read 650,894 times
It's a natural progression... when you are young, you are hungry and impressionable and our culture of materialism is almost impossible not to adopt.

Plus you tend to have relatively little amount of stuff.

Fast forward to your 40s, 50s ... done that, got the t-shirt.

Unless you lived a life of poverty, chances are you bought a ton of clothes, shoes, accessories, toys, tv's, computers, smart phones, really fancy socks... well you get it.

I got so much stuff... you don't realize how much of it is truly superfluous until you move to a new home. You are forced to throw out things or take it with you. Most of the stuff is there just for "in case I need it".

I find myself only buying things IF I truly need it and can't fix what I have.

Just got a new smartphone... only because my favourite old LG phone is on it's last legs - screen is so cracked that it's shedding splinters lol.

I find myself mainly window shopping for fun.

I got stuff. Really good stuff too... so learn to be content with it.

Quality over quantity stage of my life.

The only thing I tend to splurge on nowadays is experience - like really good quality food or go out to see a really good movie on a huge screen etc.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:26 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,473,580 times
It's an interesting topic, in a culture that values prosperity and the ability to "spend, spend, spend", when you reach a point in life when you could be spending, but choose not to. It can be a difficult transition for people, not to succumb to the pressure of consumerism. It feels like you're denying yourself "pleasures" that are supposed to go along with spending money (whether on "things" or "experiences"). There can be a feeling of guilt, spending on oneself.

It reminds me of the movie, "Man on the Train", in which the character played by Donald Sutherland said his mother set aside money in her will for him strictly to "splurge" with, but he didn't know how to splurge. The idea was alien to him. He had a very comfortable but boring life, and envied the more exciting life of the bank robber he becomes friends with.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:30 AM

24,789 posts, read 11,190,300 times
OP has a potential romantic interest on the horizon in another thread. That may change things around a bit.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:46 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,074,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
OP has a potential romantic interest on the horizon in another thread. That may change things around a bit.
Or maybe she's the non-materialistic type too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living