Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 02:15 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i would think he would be considered "a catch" from a prospective mate's point of view because he is able to save, and he lives simply. Those to me are very positive attributes. He said he saves money and does not spend it on a lot of stuff. I think that is a very desirable trait. Plus he is not into cars and bars. More good traits. He states he has hobbies. So he is not miserable or bored or complaining.
Respectfully disagree. Depending on the age group the OP desires, most women IMO would rather have someone who has less savings and date someone who actually spends money on travel, experiences, and hobbies etc etc etc. Frugal men outnumber frugal women by a wide margin, especially the younger crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 05:16 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Respectfully disagree. Depending on the age group the OP desires, most women IMO would rather have someone who has less savings and date someone who actually spends money on travel, experiences, and hobbies etc etc etc. Frugal men outnumber frugal women by a wide margin, especially the younger crowds.
I agree. People like him are too focus on saving and they might not be a fun to date. Their money means nothing to the dates if asked to split bills or go for a walk in the park, instead of a nice, exotic cruise.
I guess they match the best with another saving focused person, who would enjoy trips to Goodwill to buy clothes and eating only homemade meals.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:06 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i would think he would be considered "a catch" from a prospective mate's point of view because he is able to save, and he lives simply. Those to me are very positive attributes. He said he saves money and does not spend it on a lot of stuff. I think that is a very desirable trait. Plus he is not into cars and bars. More good traits. He states he has hobbies. So he is not miserable or bored or complaining.
Yeah. Not sure where that post got pulled from. Not accurate and has nothing to do with my post. My home is nice and larger than I need and dating life is fine as well. No im not buying clothes at the goodwill or forcing dates to pay. People need to mind their own business and stop trying to drawing unrelated conclusions off limited information

Last edited by Berteau; 03-03-2024 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-03-2024, 07:23 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Agreed, I'm the same way. I'm okay with spending full price on a special book, say a hardcover or special edition. But for everyday reading I go to the used book stores or the library book sale.
Putting aside the perils of library book sales, if you can, find a way to be Educator associated. In many a book sellers, it is way to get up to another 10% off.

Another philosophy that might be handy here. As it is probably known, I watch a TV show and a movie a day based on the theme for that night. Ie, tonight's theme is Men & Women of Steel and I am very tempted to do an ancient Howard Hughes flick. It really doesn't matter the quality of the flick (hence cost) just as long as it provides some escapism for 90 minutes or so. As such, even if the flick is poor, like last night's "Fantastic Four", its appreciation can be redefined into an acceptable format. That movie, not seen as the franchise of Marvel but just a stand by itself sci fi flick for the night.

Does it need to be a movie? No, not necessarily for some nights I may pick up a book instead for that escapism. Does it need to be at all? Well, that one is debatable but since I don't drink anymore, I need something for daily escapism, to destress from the day, to look forward to.

Each one of us probably have our ways of doing that, destressing, ..... and some cost more than others. So, two things at least. First, of course, consider what works for you, both to destress and how much it costs.

SECONDLY, as you look and ask, is this normal, consider a world meditates, reads, does things to relax that doesn't, quite, always hand out money to do so. You may find that there are many like you, just seen in a different light.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-03-2024 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-03-2024, 10:14 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree. People like him are too focus on saving and they might not be a fun to date. Their money means nothing to the dates if asked to split bills or go for a walk in the park, instead of a nice, exotic cruise.
I guess they match the best with another saving focused person, who would enjoy trips to Goodwill to buy clothes and eating only homemade meals.
if i had to choose between "exotic cruise" and "going camping"
i would pick camping every time

there are plenty of people who know how to be happy and enjoy life and yes have fun without "exotic travel" and yes without spending a lot of money. Being able to save and live within their means, is a sign of stability and being responsible, and not needing to spend loads of money on a bunch of material stuff to be happy.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:33 PM

3,181 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Savings money in today's hyperinflation isn't smart. Because the money you saved is worth less and less over time. Assuming the inflation was 2% the way the Feds wanted it. You are losing 2% in buying power annually. Assume you put it in a CD that pays you 5%, great you're coming ahead. But the reality is that the dollar has been losing value steadily due to the money printing and all of the spending it does without GDP to back it up. Over time the money saved is not going to be ahead of inflation. I know people who saved for a decade only to have less than $50k in the bank while investing it would've been better with compounding growth.

You'll never get rich saving money and all the money saved will get eaten away by inflation and you'll have nothing to show for other than that you've been extremely frugal with money and not have much to show for except for a small pot of money vs someone who wisely invested and leaped past your savings.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:20 AM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I've spent a ton of money recently on the house.
New roof and a beautiful new deck. Some finishing work on the deck and excavating/landscaping around it and I am done.
Cosmetic stuff on the rest of the house will be DIY.
Then I am selling this place and moving on. I hope to get one or two summers out of the deck but even if I don't, it will add value when I go to sell.

***I was always on the frugal side. Having saved up all that money turned out to be a good thing because we paid cash for everything. And I still have some left over

Old 03-04-2024, 05:41 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Savings money in today's hyperinflation isn't smart. Because the money you saved is worth less and less over time. Assuming the inflation was 2% the way the Feds wanted it. You are losing 2% in buying power annually. Assume you put it in a CD that pays you 5%, great you're coming ahead. But the reality is that the dollar has been losing value steadily due to the money printing and all of the spending it does without GDP to back it up. Over time the money saved is not going to be ahead of inflation. I know people who saved for a decade only to have less than $50k in the bank while investing it would've been better with compounding growth.

You'll never get rich saving money and all the money saved will get eaten away by inflation and you'll have nothing to show for other than that you've been extremely frugal with money and not have much to show for except for a small pot of money vs someone who wisely invested and leaped past your savings.
I invest every thing in stocks. So it gets saved and then invested.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:56 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau;66490302[B
]People need to mind their own business and stop trying to drawing unrelated conclusions off limited information[/b]
You don't get to say mind your own business, because you specifically asked for opinions.
And if you don't want people to draw conclusions from limited info, you need to give better information.

Or, not ask in the first place!

Old 03-04-2024, 06:14 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post

I don't buy clothes.

You go full commando?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living