Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 05:32 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Single guy here and all I do is save money. I'm frugal but also don't even find things I want to spend money on. I don't care about cars. I don't go out and drink at bars anymore. I have everything I want for my house. I don't buy clothes. My hobbies are cheap or free. Is this normal?
Sort of, at least in the past. That's why I was put in charge of the cash.

It seems a lot of people are, "I have all this money, what can I buy?" but me, it is "Don't spend it.". Further, I often do get ambitious but when it comes time to make the trip, it is, "I'm tired! I'll do it tomorrow.....tomorrow...tomorrow."

But two detractors are Amazon and the Ranch. It is not that the Ranch is a money pit but rather, it takes a lot to keep it going, present and future. With Amazon, anything I think I might need can be found there so easily, quickly.

But, I suppose it goes both ways, being the Cowgirl of the Ranch and the attitudes I bring with it. Living in the country means that you don't have the desire for the night life but go home each night. I don't drink anymore so I am not buying that stuff. I do a lot of raw goods cooking, making bean stews and corn bread, my coffee is Cowboy in a pot on the stove top. But, equally, it goes the other way as well in that stockpiling, the need and tendency, is not inexpensive.

SO, your way is not bad way to be, just be aware that there are paths where being that way can be expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 07:23 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Single guy here and all I do is save money. I'm frugal but also don't even find things I want to spend money on. I don't care about cars. I don't go out and drink at bars anymore. I have everything I want for my house. I don't buy clothes. My hobbies are cheap or free. Is this normal?
I'm married, but I'm the same way.

A chunk comes out of my gross pay (pre tax, and pre paycheck) to my 403b and an IRA, and I put 1/3 of my net takehome pay into the HYSA or one of the IRA's after I pay the mortgage and operations / utilities, food, insurance. And putting that amount just into savings/investments is just BORING to me. It is more exciting to spend.

But it's going to be nice to have that money in the future. But right now I don't have the desire to buy extra stuff we really don't need in the long run. Better to just pack alot away for the future.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:27 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
OP sounds like a buyer, not a shopper. It's okay.

I pay for my basic needs without being cheap. After that there might be the random thing I might feel like buying, but at no point in my life have I intentionally purchased material items just because I could, or to allude to some sort of status or appearance by having certain "stuff".

I'm the one at the Jones's yard sales looking for things that might be useful to me, once they have lost value to the original owner. I see so much junk at yard sales that I know people dumped good money on, most of which will probably end up donated to thrift stores or thrown out. Glad I'm not one of those spenders.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:34 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
I'm not saving for anything because I have everything I need. I'm saving by default because I don't have a desire to purchase things. I invest all my money in the stock market.
As a single guy (no kids?) what are you planning to do with your saved money? You cannot take it to the grave... oh, wait - sure, you could, but why??
Saving money FOR A CAUSE is a great goal - life is too short and saved money should be enjoyed somehow, at some point of life.

I save money too, I am not a compulsive spender. But I enjoy it too. I save money to travel.
Otherwise I already have everything I need, plus emergency funds, and zero debt. Don't feel the need to buy new stuff just because it's trendy.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:44 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
When I was younger I had more things that I wanted to buy. Now I have completed all the must see travel places on my bucket list, have my condo furnished just how I want it and don’t need a lot of new clothes. I have massively downsized and am very content. Buying habits can be different at various stages.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:49 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
There is a difference between being cheap and being frugal. OP should clarify - are you frugal or are you cheap?
And what it means to you?

Old 03-02-2024, 08:53 PM

504 posts, read 258,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why do you care what others think about your spending habits? Why compare yourself to anyone else? If it works for you and you are supporting yourself without relying on other people, it's right for you.
Exactly.

Moreover, nothing wrong with just saving money. You never know when you will need it.

I have always lived within my means, paid off mortgages early, put away money for retirement, etc. And even so, there have been times when I felt like spending money on something, sometimes even got carried away, but without going into debt. And other times, like now, I just don't feel like spending money. If a need were to arise, I would have no trouble spending the money it would take. In the meantime, I am just appreciating the money I have in savings, adding to it every month, but also donating a fair share of what I don't need.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:10 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
The entire economy of the USA is predicated on people buying stuff or services. It is like our duty to buy crap nobody needs or wants for more than a few months. The number of storage places being built shows us we have more than we need or use. Now we pay for places to stash it.

As long as you and yours have what they need, don’t worry about it. Shopping is a PITA.

Old 03-03-2024, 09:36 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
I'm not saving for anything because I have everything I need. I'm saving by default because I don't have a desire to purchase things. I invest all my money in the stock market.
That's wonderful! You've reached Nirvana--that's what the Buddhists call it--the "end of desire."

I feel much the same. Although, on the rare occasion when the errant shopping urge hits (it it a female thing, after all we're the traditional "gatherers"??) I will hie myself to my fav nearby thrift store and buy myself some inexpensive trinket. For example, the other day, my purchase was two pairs of earrings. $1 each. Didn't break the bank.

The one area I don't stint on is healthful food and some necessary quality supplements. Plus my gym membership. Keeping healthy now saves future money spent on ill health down the road.

Being rich, to me, means wanting for nothing and being satisfied with what one has...

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 03-03-2024 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-03-2024, 09:47 AM

31 posts, read 30,114 times
Quote:

You don't have to buy things. Why not use some money on travel and experiences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living