Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 12:45 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I also hope that never happens. Chicago is overcrowded. I do hope we increase our population but not as big as Chicago.

Visiting an overcrowded city can be fun, but living in one would be a never ending headache.
Yeah I wanted to post this but didn't come into my mind when i was writing that post. Don't get me wrong Houston might be bigger than LA in land but There's so much undeveloped Land that is waiting for more housing and industrial booming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 12:05 AM

464 posts, read 1,079,369 times
Chicago seems over crowded just because you have nearly 3,000,000 people crammed into 227 square miles, if all of Houston's 2,200,000 people were crammed into 227 square miles, you would think it would be crowded too..

But how did this thread get to being about Chicago and Houston lol?

Last edited by Spire; 12-27-2008 at 12:15 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 06:15 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
No, I like LA but no.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
I know this is old stuff here, and most of it's been responded to but, whatever, its up here and I'm bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Ya. I find it funny that NYC Metro is sometimes considered part of 3 different states (NJ,NY, and CT). I don't know if that's true, but I read somwhere that some stastics include those areas. In LA, we keep it all in one state and almost half in one county.
That's just so ignorant it's not funny. I hope this person took some time to learn geography, cause obviously they weren't good at it. It's not like we're "cheating" over here by counting multiple states. If anyone can't figure it out, look at the size of California, then look at NYC's position, and the size of the states here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
With L.A anything is possible....Remember that this City was once just a Small Village/Town and is now one of the Largest Cities with one of the Largest Economies in the Country.
I guess NYC sprang from the ground, skyscrapers, residents, and all. It started out as a small Dutch settlement at the edge of Manhattan, and look at it now. Pretty much every great city has a humble beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
LA's Metro will pass Ny's metro without using other states as part of our metro.Our metro is smaller in land s=wise then ny and chicago's metro so i don't no why they call us so sprawled but just live with it I suppose.
Once again, we're not cheating with multiple states... it's just geography.

Well, anyway, I don't think LA's population will ever surpass NYC's. The LA metro might though, that could happen. But just remember, it's not like LA's infinitely growing while NYC and it's metro just stopped or something.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
What do you think? I think it's possible since pretty much the only desirable area that people want to move to in NYC is Manhattan...
I think that this opening salvo from the OP is the reason why this whole thread is so silly. Declaring that the only desirable area in New York City is Manhattan is such a ridiculous statement that it discredits everything else. The OP appears to be basing his post on hearsay. (Hint: don't go by what "everyone" says about New York!)

Completely aside from this, hey, as the expression has it, do the math. New York's population is more than twice that of LA's. What would you say the odds are that Los Angeles would more than double in population while New York either remains static or decreases? Yeah, I thought so.

Next case...

Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
LA CSA- Yes
LA MSA- No
LA City Proper- No

Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
I don't even think that would be a good Idea to "make LA denser"
Think of all the smog (air pollution) that city would have blanketed over it's city if it exceeded or came close to NYC's population.

Dry valleys just can't properly handle a city the size of NYC, you need a good amount of rain.

12 pages and no one realized this!?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I don't even think that would be a good Idea to "make LA denser"
Think of all the smog (air pollution) that city would have blanketed over it's city if it exceeded or came close to NYC's population.

Dry valleys just can't properly handle a city the size of NYC, you need a good amount of rain.

12 pages and no one realized this!?
For city proper yes, you make a good point.
For CSA though, LA has 32,000 square miles of area versus NYC's 6,720 square miles. 22-23 million of NYC compared to 17 million of LA. 8.84% increase for LA CSA versus 4.04% for NYC CSA. Eventually with that trend and growth, LA CSA will overtake NYC's.

But for City Proper no way, not in this century at least, maybe mid next century.
MSA, way to much of a gap to fill in fast enough, so I'm going to say no.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
For city proper yes, you make a good point.
For CSA though, LA has 32,000 square miles of area versus NYC's 6,720 square miles. 22-23 million of NYC compared to 17 million of LA. 8.84% increase for LA CSA versus 4.04% for NYC CSA. Eventually with that trend and growth, LA CSA will overtake NYC's.

But for City Proper no way, not in this century at least, maybe mid next century.
MSA, way to much of a gap to fill in fast enough, so I'm going to say no.
Of course LA's CSA will surpass NYC's one day, but I don't think It's necessarily a good thing for the San Fernando Valley's environment AT ALL. The bad air quality spreads all through LA's CSA as is, so adding more to it isn't going to increase desirability.

Sorry to rag on LA (it's a great city), but that's how I see it..

Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.