Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracra1 View Post
LOL! Evidence please. L.A has 3.8 million. I DOUBT it went up 200,000 people in two years...be realistic.

in 2006 the population was just over 3.8 million where its been for years.
It is from the California Department of Finance. The US census is not until 2010 so we won't know their numbers until then. Whether you want to take the California Department of Finance numbers now or wait until the 2010 US census is up to you.

E-1 City / County Population Estimates - California Department of Finance (http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demographic/reports/estimates/e-1_2006-07/ - broken link)
Just click on the excel document on the CDF website. Here is from the "highlights" section:

The City of Los Angeles, California's largest city, has a population of 4,045,873, which makes the city more than three times the size of the state's second largest city, San Diego, which now has an estimated 1,336,865 residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM

56 posts, read 118,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
It is from the California Department of Finance. The US census is not until 2010 so we won't know their numbers until then. Whether you want to take the California Department of Finance numbers now or wait until the 2010 US census is up to you.

E-1 City / County Population Estimates - California Department of Finance (http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demographic/reports/estimates/e-1_2006-07/ - broken link)
Just click on the excel document on the CDF website. Here is from the "highlights" section:

The City of Los Angeles, California's largest city, has a population of 4,045,873, which makes the city more than three times the size of the state's second largest city, San Diego, which now has an estimated 1,336,865 residents.
That's not reliable. 200,000 residents in two years is incorrect ESPECIALLY when the growth rate is around 1%

Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,020 times
^^
Possibly, you just have to get used to hearing people sometimes using the 4 million number. I think it is somewhere between 3.8 and 4 million.

Sometimes it feels possible when you consider illegal aliens/ immigrants, but it may be way off. We will just have to wait and see until the official census comes out in 2010.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:05 PM

true illegal immigrants may account for A LOT, but 150,000 of them in two years? If that is true than the boarder issue is becoming ridiculous. Anyway, I stand next to my belief that it wont pass NYC. I don't see how it could. True NYC is landlocked and it has been since its population hit around 4 million, but somehow it was able to add an additional 4.5 million people. L.A won't be able to become that dense. People don't like to be that close to one another anymore. L.A would have to incorporate ALL of L.A County which would be in my opinion a little sad. If you're that determined to be number 1, just Have California succeed from the Union ! Just kidding =].

Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
true illegal immigrants may account for A LOT, but 150,000 of them in two years? If that is true than the boarder issue is becoming ridiculous. Anyway, I stand next to my belief that it wont pass NYC. I don't see how it could. True NYC is landlocked and it has been since its population hit around 4 million, but somehow it was able to add an additional 4.5 million people. L.A won't be able to become that dense. People don't like to be that close to one another anymore. L.A would have to incorporate ALL of L.A County which would be in my opinion a little sad. If you're that determined to be number 1, just Have California succeed from the Union ! Just kidding =].
The border problem is a huge issue. There are so many Hispanics here that are unaccounted for that I'm sure LA has to be at least 50% Hispanic, maybe even close 2/3 or more. I mean, there's nothing stopping them and they get free healthcare and don't have to change their ways of living. We have churches for them, Hispanic stores, and they don't even need to learn English because we have legal documents in either Spanish or English, the DMV papers are in either Spanish or English, they have their own TV stations, they have newspapers, they have radio stations, and if someone is not bilingual, they are not as likely to be hired at most jobs because of the amount of Spanish speakers. I find immigration to be a huge problem, and I, personally, being only 16, have seen what has happened to this city. I believe the amount of Hispanics here making the whites a minority has greatly aggravated us, and some people, especially those of my generation, are somewhat racist towards Hispanics. The racism had switched from blacks to Hispanics and black people are more accepted into society. Also, my school used to be one of the best. Now, they let in lots of permit kids from inner-city neighborhoods and they bring down our test scores, vandalize, and are just plain disrespectful. When the school was majority white, it was cleaner and smarter. All of a sudden, there are more Hispanics, probably just as many Hispanics as whites or more Hispanics, and our school is dirty and the test scores are worse. I understand some diversity is good, but LA is being overtaken by Hispanics and the government needs to do something to close the borders and guard them better. I think we should be using the money that we waste in Iraq to patrol the border better and crack down on illegal immigrants. That is why LA's population is growing so much. CA has a net outward migration, yet the state keeps growing. Most of the people moving out just think that CA is not what it used to be and it's because of the large population boom that is still going on, but its not for the better. I would rather have LA become third to Chicago and have less problems that come along with the Hispanics than to be second.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but illegal immigration is a huge issue to me and has taken a personal toll on me, my family, and my friends. If you would like to me clarify so I don't seem so savage, I would be glad to.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times
Quote:
That's not reliable. 200,000 residents in two years is incorrect ESPECIALLY when the growth rate is around 1%
The population of Los Angeles County is 10 million and is growing roughly 1% per year. Perhaps someone was confusing the county with the city. 2% of the counties population would be 200k.

For further reference:

The population of the LA MSA (LA County and Orange County) is 13 million.

The population of the LA CSA (Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura counties) is 18 million.

When people ask, will LA overtake NYC in population they are usually referring to the CSA populations because that is the only area where the two cities are roughly similar in population.

New York's CSA has roughly 22 million people and as I said above, Los Angeles' CSA is 18 million.

It is entirely within reason to expect the LA CSA to gain another 4 million people over the next 22 years. 1 million in LA county (+10% increase), and 500k in Orange County (+16%). Both Riverside and San Bernardino counties currently have a population of about 2 million each. Over the 25 years or so, each has increased in population by more than 1 million. Therefore an estimate that each will add another million people is entirely reasonable for a 50% gain for each geographically very large county. Ventura County should gain another 300k as well.

I actually believe my estimates for the LA CSA are conservative. Los Angeles is becoming more and more a city of higher density apartment stock, so even though it is built out, it is not fully built up. Therefore, if it's current population growth rate of 100k/year was maintained, LA county's population would be 12 million not 11 million by 2030.

The New York CSA population is still slowly growing, as well as it's geographic dimensions, recently having added another county in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. So the LA CSA will probably come very close to the New York CSA, but not overtake it.

By 2040, who knows? There may be a very tight battle for #1.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The border problem is a huge issue. There are so many Hispanics here that are unaccounted for that I'm sure LA has to be at least 50% Hispanic, maybe even close 2/3 or more. I mean, there's nothing stopping them and they get free healthcare and don't have to change their ways of living. We have churches for them, Hispanic stores, and they don't even need to learn English because we have legal documents in either Spanish or English, the DMV papers are in either Spanish or English, they have their own TV stations, they have newspapers, they have radio stations, and if someone is not bilingual, they are not as likely to be hired at most jobs because of the amount of Spanish speakers. I find immigration to be a huge problem, and I, personally, being only 16, have seen what has happened to this city. I believe the amount of Hispanics here making the whites a minority has greatly aggravated us, and some people, especially those of my generation, are somewhat racist towards Hispanics. The racism had switched from blacks to Hispanics and black people are more accepted into society. Also, my school used to be one of the best. Now, they let in lots of permit kids from inner-city neighborhoods and they bring down our test scores, vandalize, and are just plain disrespectful. When the school was majority white, it was cleaner and smarter. All of a sudden, there are more Hispanics, probably just as many Hispanics as whites or more Hispanics, and our school is dirty and the test scores are worse. I understand some diversity is good, but LA is being overtaken by Hispanics and the government needs to do something to close the borders and guard them better. I think we should be using the money that we waste in Iraq to patrol the border better and crack down on illegal immigrants. That is why LA's population is growing so much. CA has a net outward migration, yet the state keeps growing. Most of the people moving out just think that CA is not what it used to be and it's because of the large population boom that is still going on, but its not for the better. I would rather have LA become third to Chicago and have less problems that come along with the Hispanics than to be second.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but illegal immigration is a huge issue to me and has taken a personal toll on me, my family, and my friends. If you would like to me clarify so I don't seem so savage, I would be glad to.
whoa...extremely racist. 1. Just because a school is majority white DOES NOT mean it has higher test scores. I go to high school in the suburbs of Chicago and my school is BARELY majority white (something like 55%) and our test scores are above average. I think the average ACT score is like 23. So just because a school is minority-majority does not means its bad. It may have bad teachers. Your just racist. Illegal Immigration is a problem but L.A is not the only city affected by it. Every metropolitan in the Nation is. They just don't necessarily have Hispanic's as illegal immigrants. In Chicago its a lot of Southeastern European's that are illegal, but no one cares because they are white...You're very racist. I also can't believe you said black are more accepted in Society. Your ignorant. Its YOU bringing down your school test scores from being so closed minded, not the Hispanics. Before you say anything about I'm just saying this because I'm a minority, I'm not. I'm white.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:19 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
The California Department of Finance is believable because they deal with the people of California more than census does. They only deal with one place and that's California whereas census has to deal with 50 states. Also the fact that the census faced lawsuits for undercounting various cities and states around the nation and lost those lawsuits makes the California department of Finance claim even more believable. So it is not out of the realm of possiblity that the city of Los Angeles having 4 million people now.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:31 PM

8 posts, read 31,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
The population of Los Angeles County is 10 million and is growing roughly 1% per year. Perhaps someone was confusing the county with the city. 2% of the counties population would be 200k.

For further reference:

The population of the LA MSA (LA County and Orange County) is 13 million.

The population of the LA CSA (Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura counties) is 18 million.

When people ask, will LA overtake NYC in population they are usually referring to the CSA populations because that is the only area where the two cities are roughly similar in population.

New York's CSA has roughly 22 million people and as I said above, Los Angeles' CSA is 18 million.

It is entirely within reason to expect the LA CSA to gain another 4 million people over the next 22 years. 1 million in LA county (+10% increase), and 500k in Orange County (+16%). Both Riverside and San Bernardino counties currently have a population of about 2 million each. Over the 25 years or so, each has increased in population by more than 1 million. Therefore an estimate that each will add another million people is entirely reasonable for a 50% gain for each geographically very large county. Ventura County should gain another 300k as well.

I actually believe my estimates for the LA CSA are conservative. Los Angeles is becoming more and more a city of higher density apartment stock, so even though it is built out, it is not fully built up. Therefore, if it's current population growth rate of 100k/year was maintained, LA county's population would be 12 million not 11 million by 2030.

The New York CSA population is still slowly growing, as well as it's geographic dimensions, recently having added another county in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. So the LA CSA will probably come very close to the New York CSA, but not overtake it.

By 2040, who knows? There may be a very tight battle for #1.
Although, numerically the LA CSA is growing at a faster rate.... is expected to surpass the 27 million by 2050.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 PM

8 posts, read 31,304 times
Quote:
whoa...extremely racist. 1. Just because a school is majority white DOES NOT mean it has higher test scores. I go to high school in the suburbs of Chicago and my school is BARELY majority white (something like 55%) and our test scores are above average. I think the average ACT score is like 23. So just because a school is minority-majority does not means its bad. It may have bad teachers. Your just racist. Illegal Immigration is a problem but L.A is not the only city affected by it. Every metropolitan in the Nation is. They just don't necessarily have Hispanic's as illegal immigrants. In Chicago its a lot of Southeastern European's that are illegal, but no one cares because they are white...You're very racist. I also can't believe you said black are more accepted in Society. Your ignorant. Its YOU bringing down your school test scores from being so closed minded, not the Hispanics. Before you say anything about I'm just saying this because I'm a minority, I'm not. I'm white.
I agree those were some very sad comments...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.