Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2024, 03:34 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A top 5 that may surprise some people, if they don't know or aren't familiar with the state.

West Virginia(2022 5 year data, alone/in combo)

Charleston- 8,226 (17%)
Huntington- 4,921 (10.6%)
Martinsburg- 3,960 (21.2%)
Beckley- 3,459 (20.2%)
Bluefield- 2,689 (28%)
A live sports reference between the high schools in both of these cities that illustrate a presence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHn_PEj-kJQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 03:34 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Michigan

1) Detroit 495,533 (77.8%)
2) Southfield 49,680 (65.3%)
3) Flint 46,091 (56.3%)
4) Grand Rapids 35,425 (17.9%)
5) Pontiac 30,389 (49%)

Old 02-03-2024, 03:42 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the numbers just take into account those that identify as such, but there are ethnic categories in the Census as well.
True. I just think about this. I did a project in college about which states had the fastest growing Black populations. I knew there were alot of Black people moving to the South (or in many cases back to the South). However, the idea of the South being the new "promise land" raised eyebrows with me. I decided to look at percentage growth rather than just raw numbers. States like Idaho, South Dakota, and Maine had the fastest growing Black populations, on a percentage basis. However, at the time of the project, I didn't know that African refugees made up a majority of the Black populations in Idaho, the Dakotas, and Maine. Then I started thinking "I guess American Blacks aren't discovering those places places like I was hoping we would".

Old 02-03-2024, 05:46 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
True. I just think about this. I did a project in college about which states had the fastest growing Black populations. I knew there were alot of Black people moving to the South (or in many cases back to the South). However, the idea of the South being the new "promise land" raised eyebrows with me. I decided to look at percentage growth rather than just raw numbers. States like Idaho, South Dakota, and Maine had the fastest growing Black populations, on a percentage basis. However, at the time of the project, I didn't know that African refugees made up a majority of the Black populations in Idaho, the Dakotas, and Maine. Then I started thinking "I guess American Blacks aren't discovering those places places like I was hoping we would".
I would think that Aframs already tried moving up that but the early migrations , as with much migrations, was focus on the largest economies of those regions. Maine is mostly over shadowed by Boston ( feel like the B signal in the sky for BBMM to swope in) and heavily rural, Idaho overshadowed by other western metros and ditto for South Dakota.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:36 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I would think that Aframs already tried moving up that but the early migrations , as with much migrations, was focus on the largest economies of those regions. Maine is mostly over shadowed by Boston ( feel like the B signal in the sky for BBMM to swope in) and heavily rural, Idaho overshadowed by other western metros and ditto for South Dakota.
This is the thing though. Idaho is among the fastest growing states in America, at least since the 1980s. And Boise, which isn't rural, is getting alot of that migration. Alot of people have been moving to Idaho (and Utah). However, very few Black Americans are going there at all. African refugees have moved there though.

Boston metro has been going over the past few decades. It now encompasses southern New Hampshire. Maine is also getting some migration from the Boston area. And very few Black Americans ever called Boston home until the 1960s. Even with more Black Americans having moved to Boston, alot of Black migration to Boston consists of foreign-born Blacks (particularly from the Caribbean).

Old 02-03-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
This is the thing though. Idaho is among the fastest growing states in America, at least since the 1980s. And Boise, which isn't rural, is getting alot of that migration. Alot of people have been moving to Idaho (and Utah). However, very few Black Americans are going there at all. African refugees have moved there though.

Boston metro has been going over the past few decades. It now encompasses southern New Hampshire. Maine is also getting some migration from the Boston area. And very few Black Americans ever called Boston home until the 1960s. Even with more Black Americans having moved to Boston, alot of Black migration to Boston consists of foreign-born Blacks (particularly from the Caribbean).
Still goes back to economics in regards to Boise and location. To the broader Afram community it might be perceived to lack industries or amenities that appeal to the culture. Why go to Boise when Phoenix & Las Vegas is closer and more populated.

Maine is still overshadowed by Boston in regards to economics and attractions respectfully. It's still the most or one of the most rural states & many don't want that winter weather there.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:57 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah but it was all the way back in the previous century (1999) which is well out-of-date at this point lol.

But think of a more Middle America version of Richmond, VA and you have Louisville.
Gotta admit- that’s kinda disappointing lolz idk why but I be feeling like them lower Midwest river cities should be fun (Cincinatti Louisville St Louis)

Old 02-03-2024, 08:20 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Is this true? I ask, because there have been a military presence in each of those states for years and many of the black military folks are likely to be African American. For instance, Mountain Home is a community that has an adjacent Air Force base that has always had substantial black population. You also had some African Americans that come from say California or other states over the years to Idaho, as well as South Dakota(also via the energy boom and at Ellsworth AFB near Rapid City) and Maine(Portland and Bangor have had small, but known black populations for well over a century, if not for centuries. Also, look up Malaga Island and Loring AFB and Portsmouth Naval Shipyard). So, I think those already there have largely been African American, with some from nearby states moving to those states.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:59 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
New Jersey

1) Newark 144,557 (47%)
2) Jersey City 61,946 (21.1%)
3) East Orange 55,532 (80.6%)
4) Trenton 40,971 (45.5%)
5) Patterson 38,481 (24.4%)

Old 02-03-2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
New Jersey

1) Newark 144,557 (47%)
2) Jersey City 61,946 (21.1%)
3) East Orange 55,532 (80.6%)
4) Trenton 40,971 (45.5%)
5) Patterson 38,481 (24.4%)
I don't know why always think Trenton would be 2nd in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.