Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 08:10 AM

21,750 posts, read 12,900,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No, I don't think New England segregation is fascinating. I think it's more sad than anything else.
I’ll never understand why black people are so thirsty to be integrated into bland, predominately white spaces. When you could predominate and concentrate in the urban settings where life culture and influence emanate….and frankly it seems like a loss to collective black identity and community.

I honestly think it’s weird… All the non segregation of other regions and in general their metrics for Black people are generally worse than they are New England with the exception of a few areas. Enjoy, I guess. But I lived in places like Baltimore, Roxbury, PGC and Hartford for a reasons- and by choice

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-31-2024 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 11:33 AM

93,817 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’ll never understand why black people are so thirsty to be integrated into bland, predominately white spaces. When you could predominate and concentrate in the urban settings where life culture and influence emanate….and frankly it seems like a loss to collective black identity and community.

I honestly think it’s weird… All the non segregation of other regions and in general their metrics for Black people are generally worse than they are New England with the exception of a few areas. Enjoy, I guess. But I lived in places like Baltimore, Roxbury, PGC and Hartford for a reasons- and by choice
I think the key is if people can’t access resources more than anything else.

Just like anywhere, it will be a mixed bag to some degree.

Old 03-31-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the key is if people can’t access resources more than anything else.

Just like anywhere, it will be a mixed bag to some degree.
Yeah I get that’s people general argument against segrgation but how applicable is that

What resources can’t you access in Boston and and New Haven..? This isn’t Glendora, Mississippi or East St Louis, Illinois… some of the most progressive laws, generous social safety nets and best academic institutions in the country. In places where you sit. Even need a car.

It’s funny people will flip flop on subjects. Northern segregation is bad until people want to move south explicitly to be around more (if not exclusively) black people.

There are other examples.

Old 03-31-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah I get that’s people general argument against segrgation but how applicable is that

What resources can’t you access in Boston and and New Haven..? This isn’t Glendora, Mississippi or East St Louis, Illinois… some of the most progressive laws, generous social safety nets and best academic institutions in the country. In places where you sit. Even need a car.

It’s funny people will flip flop on subjects. Northern segregation is bad until people want to move south explicitly to be around more (if not exclusively) black people.

There are other examples.
I agree.

A lot of times in many Northern cities, there are many black people that could move to the suburbs, but don't want to for various reasons. In fact, in the Syracuse forum, there is a middle class black family moving from Prospect Heights in Brooklyn to the area, that is interested in a nice old money area of the city. There were other posters trying to persuade them from living within the city. Yet, the things they are looking for are going to be largely within city limits and can be found in other parts of the city. So, some of this may be a matter of personal perspective and/or knowing only so much.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree.

A lot of times in many Northern cities, there are many black people that could move to the suburbs, but don't want to for various reasons. In fact, in the Syracuse forum, there is a middle class black family moving from Prospect Heights in Brooklyn to the area, that is interested in a nice old money area of the city. There were other posters trying to persuade them from living within the city. Yet, the things they are looking for are going to be largely within city limits and can be found in other parts of the city. So, some of this may be a matter of personal perspective and/or knowing only so much.
Exactly!

Most black people in New England prefer to live in diverse cities (often high diverse and pretty integrated outside of the older larger cities) with high concentrations of minorities especially other blacks.

More often than not the smaller ultra white are cheaper but pretty undesirable as far as culture, relevance, connectivity and amenities.if you end up out there it’s kind of a harbinger than you’re not doing all that well personally in life.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:39 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,119,821 times
Startup channel

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...t9w73YNVC6WDr5

Old 05-09-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

I've checked Portland,ME. 68% of Portland, Maine's Black population is foreign-born. Lewiston is similar to Portland in the majority of its Black population being foreign-born. Bangor has an Air National Guard Base. Today, Blacks are 2.3% of Bangor's population, and 38% of the Black population is foreign-born.

Loring AFB closed many years ago. It was near Caribou. Caribou's population has been in increased decline ever since. According to city-data, about 139 Blacks live in Caribou, up from 24 in 2000. 62% are American-born, but from another state. 38% are foreign-born.
https://www.city-data.com/races/race...bou-Maine.html
The Bay State Banner, Boston's African American newspaper just mentioned this to the Boston Globe...

How do you envision the Banner expanding its coverage?

[Ron] Mitchell: One of the first things we did was look at the history of African American newspapers. Were there any in New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut? The answer to that question was yes, all of them had Black newspapers in the ‘60s and ‘70s, many of them all the way up until relatively recently, but all except for a very few examples [have folded]. These particular communities have news deserts.

[Andre] Stark: There’s just a dearth of news coverage about people of color, and on top of that, people from those states call us and ask “When are you going to talk about this?” We have been finding all of these people who are now moving out of the area and a lot of these New England states have a lot of older residents and new immigrants of color moving into these places — Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. We want to cover those stories.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The Bay State Banner, Boston's African American newspaper just mentioned this to the Boston Globe...

How do you envision the Banner expanding its coverage?

[Ron] Mitchell: One of the first things we did was look at the history of African American newspapers. Were there any in New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut? The answer to that question was yes, all of them had Black newspapers in the ‘60s and ‘70s, many of them all the way up until relatively recently, but all except for a very few examples [have folded]. These particular communities have news deserts.

[Andre] Stark: There’s just a dearth of news coverage about people of color, and on top of that, people from those states call us and ask “When are you going to talk about this?” We have been finding all of these people who are now moving out of the area and a lot of these New England states have a lot of older residents and new immigrants of color moving into these places — Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. We want to cover those stories.
This goes back to another thread, where I mentioned that many black people in Bangor ME have ties to African Americans that came to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick as Loyalists for their freedom. They historically have lived on the west end/Parker Street area of the city: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Bangor-.../dp/1584654996

This is a segment from the city: https://www.newscentermaine.com/arti...3-c6e51b383aac

Old 05-09-2024, 02:59 PM

2,607 posts, read 4,676,354 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
This your channel?

Largest black communities in 1890 were New Orleans, Baltimore, and DC..very interesting.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:28 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,119,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
This your channel?

Largest black communities in 1890 were New Orleans, Baltimore, and DC..very interesting.
Yes. Working on the next part of my series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.