Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 12:52 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,949,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s still fundamentally different. For example all the cities south of Boston have very overlapping “day trips”. Philadelphians and New Yorkers both go up to the Poconos to ski, they share a 6 Flags, Delaware shore is full of Philly/Balt daytrippers to the beach. Etc

Boston very much is out there in an island comparatively.
But mohegan sun is full of day tripping NYers.
Or Tanglewood during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 01:45 PM

2,872 posts, read 2,331,294 times
Quote:
It’s still fundamentally different. For example all the cities south of Boston have very overlapping “day trips”. Philadelphians and New Yorkers both go up to the Poconos to ski, they share a 6 Flags, Delaware shore is full of Philly/Balt daytrippers to the beach. Etc

Yeah, but NYC and DC are also aways apart and in many ways can feel more different than Boston and NYC. The southern portion is more populated with Philly and Baltimore in between, but Hartford/New Haven and Providence form a somewhat analogous bridge.

Old 04-19-2024, 02:22 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,118,675 times
NYC being right at the center of this famed corridor. DC is 4 hours to the south and Boston 4 hours to the north in terms of driving time.

It's so interconnected in many ways yet so distinct in so many others.

Old 04-19-2024, 02:39 PM

8,592 posts, read 4,840,299 times
I would put it in terms of driving trucks: I knew d@m well when I was in the megalopolis. It’s the only area where I often had to take a 30% haircut on earnings because of traffic flow, while also having it eat away at my energy from how hard I had to pay attention. PA was also an entire state where I had to take a similar haircut on pay, more due to terrain and outdated infrastructure though, not quite like the megalopolis.

Whatever “gap” exists in CT isn’t really a gap…not to someone from the west where gaps can be numerous and huge, and I certainly didn’t feel it rolling on 95. Y’all can argue some details here and there, but the overall population density over such a large area makes it a definite and distinct region.

Old 04-19-2024, 03:27 PM

14,108 posts, read 15,147,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
But mohegan sun is full of day tripping NYers.
Or Tanglewood during the summer.
Berkshire are more a weekend trip not a day Trip from Boston.

But even so a Trip to Seaside highs from Suburban Philly or New York doesn’t even register as a true “day trip” it’s just “going to the beach” like going from Arlington to Gloucester.

I do think Boston and New York have connections particularly with Boston being a huge college destination for New Yorkers. But it’s very different it’s “going out of town” in a way the Jersey Shore isn’t for either Philly or New York

Old 04-19-2024, 05:19 PM

620 posts, read 297,841 times
Quote:

DC people head to Delaware beaches as well.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:18 AM

992 posts, read 744,180 times
Quote:
Berkshire are more a weekend trip not a day Trip from Boston.

But even so a Trip to Seaside highs from Suburban Philly or New York doesn’t even register as a true “day trip” it’s just “going to the beach” like going from Arlington to Gloucester.

I do think Boston and New York have connections particularly with Boston being a huge college destination for New Yorkers. But it’s very different it’s “going out of town” in a way the Jersey Shore isn’t for either Philly or New York
Oh the shore is most definitely a day trip from NYC haha. The one-hour drive can turn into 2.5+ hour nightmares on the GSP on Saturday mornings during beach season (as someone who makes this trip regularly will attest).

I agree that Boston and DC are the outliers in the group, which make sense given the geography. And when you add in the fact that much of New England's 'best stuff' isn't in the direction of NYC but farther north/east, it makes sense that there isn't much day-trip crossover. Though I will add that the Berkshires are much easier to do as a day-trip from Boston vs. New York, and that's primarily due to traffic moreso than absolute distance.

Old 04-23-2024, 01:16 PM

16,736 posts, read 29,658,321 times
Quote:
It’s a statistical fact that both Amtrak and coach travelers basically stick to their side of NYC. Something close to 90% of the travel stays on its own side of NYC.

And NYC-DC gets nearly 2x the frequency of trains that Bos-NY gets.

Boston is certainly an outlier on the coast

Yes, the corridor is out of balance.

Leaving out DC (basing it more on "natural" settlements) and starting from the south, you have: Baltimore - then Philadelphia - then New York City - then Boston.

Looking at "balance" and the distance between the southern three, there should be another big city between Boston and New York City. Then utilizing a best fit line and balanced distance, the big city should be Hartford.

Hartford should've have become at least the size of Baltimore in order to bring balance to the force, I mean, Northeast Megalopolis.

Old 04-23-2024, 01:56 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,949,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Looking at "balance" and the distance between the southern three, there should be another big city between Boston and New York City. Then utilizing a best fit line and balanced distance, the big city should be Hartford.
There's Providence and New Haven. Hartford and Springfield are off 95 so they don't work in that scenario.

PVD does have less than 200k people and New Haven has less than 150k.
(Springfield has 155k and Hartford has fewer residents than New Haven (by 15k)

Old 04-23-2024, 06:04 PM

620 posts, read 297,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
There's Providence and New Haven. Hartford and Springfield are off 95 so they don't work in that scenario.

PVD does have less than 200k people and New Haven has less than 150k.
(Springfield has 155k and Hartford has fewer residents than New Haven (by 15k)
Uneducated Texan perspective here. I'm not sure the above cities, other than Providence count as part of the Megalopolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.