Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 09:24 PM

176 posts, read 130,059 times

Advertisements

Pineys for people living in the Pinelands of NJ. I've heard it used in a positive and negative way. Yes get away from the NYC area and the Philly burbs and its rural in NJ, in some areas, especially central and south still have lots of farm land or rocky hills in the north west and then the large section referred to as the Pinelands.

Hoosiers for people living just across the river from Kentucky in Indiana...The story I was told being there were big military bases during WW1 in Ky and the Indy girls were .... patriotic?. After the war all the little kids did was ask each other ...Who's Yours. Anyway, that is what my uncle told me long ago .

Georgia, North and South Carolina. Crackers, not a particularly nice word if your from the region. There was an HR manager for a soup company ( guess who ) who had the brass to go down south to the plants and say she was there for a meeting and called it "a disussion with soup and crackers". She thought it was funny. The locals not so much.

Pillbillys - poor people from the hills in Ky WVa and TN who traveled to places like FL to buy large amounts oxycotin from the "pain" management centers before a lot of them finally got shut down and prosecuted for what they were. That entire companies leadership should be in jail but thats another thread.

Mules - A southern lable I head in VA for older workers blocking younger ones from advancing. Nothing wrong with their work , often the go to people , just older, made more $ , more vacation etc. Needed to be gotten rid of. Problem was the younger workers never stayed very long, different generatons have different attitudes about career advancement.

Anchors. copy above not a good comment as might be initially suggested.

Last edited by Kentucky62; 08-07-2021 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 05:55 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,024,780 times
SC - Yankees

Old 08-08-2021, 02:36 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,971,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
In Atlanta I've heard Yankee and northern scamps
LOL! I don't believe you ever heard anyone say these things here.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:45 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,546,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Here's an old school NJ/NY one:

"Benny" - a perjorative term used by year-round residents of the Jersey Shore to describe stereotypically rude, flashy, loud tourists from North Jersey and New York. Benny is an acronym for Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York.

"The Bennys are invading"
Shoobie is another Jersey term for someone heading to the shore. Back when day visitors from Philadelphia road the trains to the shore and carried their lunch in a shoebox.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:53 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,546,198 times
Here on the emerald coast, outsiders are often referred to 100 milers.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:13 PM

13,733 posts, read 8,030,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Everyone from Wisconsin (and Illinois) knows what a FIB is.
I just learned this one ^ last month when I visited Lake Geneva

Where I grew up in Florida we called them Yankees or Snowbirds.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:43 PM

10,260 posts, read 15,980,415 times
I'm surprised that doesn't seem to be a term for New Orleans area residents who vacation on the Mississippi and Alabama coasts and the Florida Panhandle.

BUT in most of Louisiana, anyone from the New Orleans area that is disliked seems to be a "Katrina evacuee"!!!!!!! They are blamed for all sorts of problems in other parts of the state! I've heard this in Baton Rouge, Hammond, Lake Charles, and Alexandria.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:28 PM

19,914 posts, read 9,469,827 times
In Wisconsin, it is FIBs. (Look it up by Googling 'F.I.B. Illinois' or click on the 45-second video below.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=F.I....tTrFAWM_8,st:0

Old 04-07-2024, 02:29 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,098,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
In Wisconsin, it is FIBs. (Look it up by Googling 'F.I.B. Illinois'.)
In Michigan it is FIPs

Old 04-07-2024, 03:37 PM

14,060 posts, read 15,093,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
People from NH/ME call people from Eastern MA, M*ssholes.

I dont even I can post what upstaters call NYCers lol
Flatlanders as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.