Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 02:01 PM

28 posts, read 12,519 times

Advertisements

Yankees - the people that are turning the South into the North but hot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 07:50 AM

544 posts, read 829,213 times
Dude.
Remember dude ranches?

Old 04-10-2024, 11:37 PM

2,169 posts, read 1,086,070 times
"Incoming" or "newcomers" referring to those who have moved here with no research whatsoever. Sometimes you see them right here on CD, asking where a 24 hour restaurant is (doesn't exist) or if there's a good place to get tapas/sushi/vegan latte/whatever specialty food they're used to (doesn't exist), or complaining about the county plow trucks blocking their driveway with snow. The terms may appear innocuous but there's usually a bit of venom or sarcasm used when saying it.

"The Golden Horde" - referring to newcomers with big money who simply buy their way in rather than work for it, disrupting the local economy and evicting local residents in the process. 'Golden' especially referring to Californians (The Golden State).

Old 05-10-2024, 10:08 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,036,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I have lived throughout the American west and everywhere there were "terms of endearment" for urban visitors to rural areas.

In the mountains of northern California...........flatlanders.

Northern New England also uses "flatlanders" all the time. My friend whose birthplace is Chile was amused when he was called that.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:20 AM

8,555 posts, read 4,802,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_nuggets24 View Post
Yankees - the people that are turning the South into the North but hot
We had Yankees who would come down, stay a while, and go back, and DAMN Yankees who would come down and stay. It was accepted that which Yankee it was could dictate how curt your interactions could be lol.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:37 PM

23,526 posts, read 44,209,432 times
Georgia mountain folk refer to the 'new people' as either Floridiots or Atlantards.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:38 AM

8,991 posts, read 17,339,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky62 View Post
Hoosiers for people living just across the river from Kentucky in Indiana...The story I was told being there were big military bases during WW1 in Ky and the Indy girls were .... patriotic?. After the war all the little kids did was ask each other ...Who's Yours. Anyway, that is what my uncle told me long ago .
Hoosiers is just a nickname for people from Indiana. Most people in Indiana even refer to themselves as Hoosiers.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:46 AM

16,148 posts, read 10,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Hoosiers is just a nickname for people from Indiana. Most people in Indiana even refer to themselves as Hoosiers.
Hoosier was/is a derogatory name for uncouth country people where I grew up in St. Louis. It was likely to start a fight in some cases. It had nothing to do with Indiana but always brought a (private joke) chuckle when someone from there proudly referred to themselves as a Hoosier.

Here in New Mexico, I have heard some folks from Colorado (urban or not) called "Granola Eaters".

Old Today, 09:24 AM

8,991 posts, read 17,339,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Hoosier was/is a derogatory name for uncouth country people where I grew up in St. Louis. It was likely to start a fight in some cases. It had nothing to do with Indiana but always brought a (private joke) chuckle when someone from there proudly referred to themselves as a Hoosier.

Here in New Mexico, I have heard some folks from Colorado (urban or not) called "Granola Eaters".
I'm familiar with Hoosier being derogatory in STL, its one of those regional quirks. I personally think Hoosier is a dumb word and I never refer to myself as such, but its a unique part of Indiana's identity for sure.

Old Today, 05:37 PM

16,148 posts, read 10,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I'm familiar with Hoosier being derogatory in STL, its one of those regional quirks. I personally think Hoosier is a dumb word and I never refer to myself as such, but its a unique part of Indiana's identity for sure.
Like when you ask someone where they live in Michigan. Only works on lower Michigan.

Yeah, I heard that a very old term for a Missourian was a “Puke” but I have no idea of the origin. I think they were braggarts in the early days but then Texas became a state and the term died out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.