Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 05:57 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastermaster83 View Post
I would be more likely to go to something like this than say a Drive game or Swamp Rabbits game. I used to love going downtown but downtown has become awful. Every time you turn around downtown someone is bumming for money from you. I would rather see this somewhere like Bridgeway if its architecture fits the vibe that was originally planned.

Now I don't totally think tax payers should be on the hook for it either. Then again I think the city thinking we need another convention center downtown is nonsense also. I mean they planned a huge update to our zoo and that's seen barely anything done with it. Honestly I think we need more accountability for the money and projects we have going on right now but this city is growing fast and they are trying to cram in everything for everyone, so they will keep doing pet projects and denying stuff like this because its not in the middle of the city.
Well said, you hit all the important topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 06:13 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
I go downtown all the time and I haven’t had anybody ask me for money in years. Maybe you’re thinking of downtown Simpsonville.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:14 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I go downtown all the time and I haven’t had anybody ask me for money in years. Maybe you’re thinking of downtown Simpsonville.
Same here!

Old 02-16-2022, 06:26 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Not to even mention by the time the city gets finished choking off all the streets leading into it by putting them on road diets it will be a long bike ride from the burbs.

Very much miss the little bit sleepier DT of 20 years ago when you could have dinner street side at a place like Bistro Europa and not be trampled by people. If I wanted crowded Disney World I would go to Orlando.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:30 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Not to even mention by the time the city gets finished choking off all the streets leading into it by putting them on road diets it will be a long bike ride from the burbs.

Very much miss the little bit sleepier DT of 20 years ago when you could have dinner street side at a place like Bistro Europa and not be trampled by people. If I wanted crowded Disney World I would go to Orlando.
Nothing stays the same! We are transplants, retired here almost 8 years ago. Every time we think Downtown Greenville can't get better, it does. We love it and spend a lot of time downtown. It is about 18 minutes from our home. It is interesting because most of the people who share your thoughts have lived here most of their lives.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:32 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:

People complain about road diets until they actually happen. And then the complaints vanish. East North Street is a prime example. Widening roads actually makes traffic worse and encourages suburban sprawl.

Those people trampling you are keeping the restaurants and retailers in business which provides jobs, tax revenue, more money flowing back into the local economy, etc. Microeconomics 101.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:25 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,832 times
Go visit Denver if you want to see a revitalized city go downhill fast. I think there are more panhandlers than shoppers at this point. Crime is out of control it really doesnt feel safe any more. 5 years ago it was great. We moved to the area because Greenville felt so safe in comparison. We wont be downtown all the time but maybe 1-4x/month.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:48 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
Same here!
Same for me. I go downtown several times a week and have never had anyone ask for money. I would not bother me is someone did ask for money.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:51 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Stadiums do not benefit tax payers.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:51 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
Quote:

I am 64 years old and have lived in Greenville my entire life. I do not miss the old downtown Greenville. It was a mess. Now, we have a downtown that many cities dream about. It’s a wonderful place to visit, to walk around in, and to find somewhere to eat and shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area