Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 07:54 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I am 64 years old and have lived in Greenville my entire life. I do not miss the old downtown Greenville. It was a mess. Now, we have a downtown that many cities dream about. It’s a wonderful place to visit, to walk around in, and to find somewhere to eat and shop.
You must be thinking back to the downtown of the 70's because the one I experienced in the 90's and early 00-s was fantastic and less crowded.

Last edited by vistatiger; 02-16-2022 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 07:29 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Stadiums do not benefit tax payers.
Taxpayers should not be burdened with the cost of building a stadium for a multi-billion dollar corporation, such as the NFL as an example. But the revenue on the sales for tickets, food, etc, and the jobs it creates, does benefit tax payers.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:28 AM

Found this on the Greenville Reddit forum. I though this poster has some insightful thoughts to share after reading this article: https://gvlsoccer.com/greenville-cou...g-c95b4570f0d1

The author of that article is saying the taxpayers would only be on the hook for about $10M of the $38.6M project.

Reddit poster oiyrpwsx responded to the article:

Quote:

The County doesn't have this money on hand, they will be bonding it out meaning that for the next 20ish years we will be paying off this stadium. Plus this would wipe out all the remaining Hospitality Bond Capacity so if a better project comes up in the next 20 years we will have to say no.

The hospitality tax is NOT mostly paid by tourists. We all pay it every day when we by drinks or food from a restaurant. Saying that the majority of restaurant food is bought by tourists is at best a misunderstanding and at worst a lie

He is right that the H-Tax must go to tourism based things but that does not necessarily mean events or event spaces. The H-Tax can and does go to community parks, greenways like the Swamp Rabbit Trail and children's museums which are easy for all of us to use.

Finally, the last time that we did a major hospitality bond in 2007 the two largest projects were building soccer facilities for the competitive soccer community. We spent about $12M and we are not going to finish paying it off until 2030.
https://www.reddit.com/r/greenville/..._it_all_wrong/

Old 02-17-2022, 10:54 AM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I go downtown all the time and I haven’t had anybody ask me for money in years. Maybe you’re thinking of downtown Simpsonville.
Well tell me how to look like you so they won't ask me. They approach me.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Well tell me how to look like you so they won't ask me. They approach me.
g-man looks poor.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:04 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
g-man looks poor.
I walk the streets naked.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:28 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Why can’t they build this stadium at the Union Bleachery redevelopment site or County Square? Nobody can seem to answer that question. Both sites are right along the Swamp Rabbit Trail also.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:19 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Why can’t they build this stadium at the Union Bleachery redevelopment site or County Square? Nobody can seem to answer that question. Both sites are right along the Swamp Rabbit Trail also.
He likes that the interstate runs right through there and it can be seen from the freeway.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:14 AM

503 posts, read 692,851 times
Quote:

Access is key. I grew up in Tampa, Fl and I can tell you the reason most people don't like to go to Tropicana Field to see the Devil Rays play is because its a pain in the butt to cross the bay and get into downtown St. Pete during rush hour traffic. I honestly like the location for this stadium its got access from multiple directions.

Old 02-18-2022, 04:57 AM

155 posts, read 265,856 times
What makes downtown downtown is people. If you don’t want to be around people, I suggest staying away from downtown. Also, as several have said in here, I’ve never been hit up for money downtown and I go often. And if I was, there are worse things in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area