Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2022, 11:05 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times

Advertisements

Looks like the upstate may be getting some Louisiana restaurant chain Walk-on's Bistreaux locations in the near future thanks to Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301500744.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 12:25 PM

130 posts, read 77,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Has anyone tried 3 Friends Bar and Grill, located in the Publix Shopping Center in Taylors? I hear the food is awesome, with many raving about their Ruebens. https://www.3friendsbar.com/menu-taylors
I've eaten there a few times. The food is good!

Old 03-14-2022, 01:53 PM

192 posts, read 207,905 times
I talked to one of the franchising people at Roy Rogers, just to get some additional info on what is going on there. They said that they have just came out with a new franchising strategy in which they are targeting to start to expand beyond the Northeast and Atlantic seaboard to more of the South.

They said that the Carolinas will be a big target in that along with some more areas in the Southeast. They have already signed a franchise agreement to bring their first set of locations back to the state of Kentucky and they also are returning to the state of Ohio.

https://www.roysfranchising.com/territories-old/

(I am mentioning this here since I remembered at least 2 people that are frequently in this thread say that they want Roy Rogers back. Now, a franchisee needs to come along for the Carolinas.)

Old 03-14-2022, 02:25 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
I don't know how Roy's would do in this area.

We all saw how JiTB basically died here. Roy's obviously has better quality than that. But, they're totally unfamiliar.

I don't recall if they did breakfast or not, or how good or not it was. They have it now.. Though it doesn't look the greatest.. I just don't remember if they had it back in the day. I do think you need a strong breakfast around here.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:53 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't know how Roy's would do in this area.

We all saw how JiTB basically died here. Roy's obviously has better quality than that. But, they're totally unfamiliar.

I don't recall if they did breakfast or not, or how good or not it was. They have it now.. Though it doesn't look the greatest.. I just don't remember if they had it back in the day. I do think you need a strong breakfast around here.
Roy Rogers has strong brand identity in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast, and is still remembered in the Midwest where it will soon be returning to Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati. But it is indeed more unfamiliar here in SC, especially if you are under 35. I see a better option for North Carolina, as they previously had locations in Charlotte, Raleigh, and most recently Greensboro. And Raleigh has more transplants from Virginia, Maryland, and New York who may be more familiar with the brand. So a NC expansion seems more likely.

With that being said, Roy Rogers has much better quality roast beef than Arby's, as it is sliced fresh to order instead of a processed loaf. And they have famous fried chicken once offered at Hardee's, and good hamburgers. They have a good quality product. As for breakfast, it is good also, but they no longer offer Hardee's breakfast biscuits since the split, but they do have croissant sandwiches, breakfast platters, and pancakes.

I would love to see Roy's come to the Upstate, although a NC return seems more likely.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:01 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.brayden.sherman View Post
I talked to one of the franchising people at Roy Rogers, just to get some additional info on what is going on there. They said that they have just came out with a new franchising strategy in which they are targeting to start to expand beyond the Northeast and Atlantic seaboard to more of the South.

They said that the Carolinas will be a big target in that along with some more areas in the Southeast. They have already signed a franchise agreement to bring their first set of locations back to the state of Kentucky and they also are returning to the state of Ohio.

https://www.roysfranchising.com/territories-old/

(I am mentioning this here since I remembered at least 2 people that are frequently in this thread say that they want Roy Rogers back. Now, a franchisee needs to come along for the Carolinas.)
Thanks for the update. Glad to here they are targeting Southeast expansion for Roy Rogers. I would expect them to seek a franchise in former NC markets of Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro. SC remains to be seen but we can hope.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:36 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Roy Rogers has strong brand identity in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast, and is still remembered in the Midwest where it will soon be returning to Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati. But it is indeed more unfamiliar here in SC, especially if you are under 35. I see a better option for North Carolina, as they previously had locations in Charlotte, Raleigh, and most recently Greensboro. And Raleigh has more transplants from Virginia, Maryland, and New York who may be more familiar with the brand. So a NC expansion seems more likely.

With that being said, Roy Rogers has much better quality roast beef than Arby's, as it is sliced fresh to order instead of a processed loaf. And they have famous fried chicken once offered at Hardee's, and good hamburgers. They have a good quality product. As for breakfast, it is good also, but they no longer offer Hardee's breakfast biscuits since the split, but they do have croissant sandwiches, breakfast platters, and pancakes.

I would love to see Roy's come to the Upstate, although a NC return seems more likely.

Now, we talk about their quality and all... I haven't had them in 20+ years. So, the one thing I'll warn you about would be the nostalgia factor. Things are rarely as good now as we remember them being.

Their chicken was good.. Honestly, I remember it more at Hardee's.. But, what colors my view of that was Hardee's Peach Cobbler.. That was something out of the book of effing amazing.

Roy's.. really what had them so high in the 80's was the Fixin's bar. It was basically an unheard of concept at the time. I'm sure it saved them time and money as well because they didn't have to deal with special orders. No "Extra Pickles" or "No onions" orders to make. Coming out of the time of covid, I would assume they're back to that.

We've eaten through some places here. Quizno's has failed at least twice. Golden Chick, which.. Listen, that was some good stuff there. Jack in the Box.. They thought they were going to come in here and take over.. How many of them are left? 7 in all of SC. They about had 7 of them in Simpsonville at the start.

This seems like one of those situations where you do a pilot restaurant in Greenwood or Boiling Springs, as we've talked about before. Test the concept in this market. In a small, sort of out of the way place where if it fails, noone knows.. And if it blows up, people are calling for it to come to the larger areas.

And.. I'll chime in again.. I didn't think Roy's originally made it as far south as NC.. I thought they stopped around Fredricksburg in VA.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Thanks for the update. Glad to here they are targeting Southeast expansion for Roy Rogers. I would expect them to seek a franchise in former NC markets of Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro. SC remains to be seen but we can hope.
Definitely get what you mean about NC. However, they are seeking franchises all through the Southeast.
It is not fully a matter about what state they seek as it is about in which states qualified franchisee operators come along.

We will see how it goes over the next year or so. I have some optimism and they could maybe come to the area but it is all about if there is a franchise available or not along with if they end up continuing the strategy or not. The strategy could always just be shut down within a year.

I've talked to a ton of brands that want to come to the market, some even for years have wanted to come here, but have no franchisees.

Last edited by tim.brayden.sherman; 03-15-2022 at 05:31 AM..

Old 03-15-2022, 05:45 AM

Del Taco, as I previously stated, has a franchise agreement signed by a Georgia development company to bring eight locations to the Upstate of South Carolina. I know that they are looking at some sites in Anderson and they are probably looking at other Upstate sites as well.
Del Taco opening some years ago in Boiling Springs and then closing sometime later kind of showed what you are saying about entering into a smaller market first to see if it is a possibility.

Meanwhile, a franchise called Taco John's (https://tacojohnsfranchise.com/available-territories/) did their "largest franchise agreement in their history" for 100 locations in SC, NC, and GA. That franchise agreement, which includes multiple stores throughout the Upstate, fell through some months later.
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...lle/963963001/
However, the Midwestern concept has been opening and expanding in TN for a while and said that they are back to really targeting the Carolinas.

If Del Taco does well and IF Taco John's can find a franchisee for the Market,that can mean we will finally get fast food taco competitors to Taco Bell in the Upstate (which is great to have competition).

Old 03-15-2022, 07:04 AM

89 posts, read 74,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Something is going in the old Liberty Tap Room downtown.
Any word on what is going there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area